Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 05:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
wow, just wow. Did I say that government makes it harder to earn more money? Nooo, I said as you make more money the government takes more of your money making it harder for you to save and invest so you could build your wealth which if invested can produce a cash flow for you.

Why in the hell do you think people put money in their 401k? They are building wealth and hope it is enough to produce a cash flow live on when they retire.

Damn... people are so brainwashed to think giving money to the government is good they can't get simple concepts and they'll always be in the rat race.
It's great how cognitive dissonance allows you to just gloss over the fact that taxes on capital gains and most dividends are taxed at a lower rate. Too bad that other people will inevitably accept what you say when it is true because our tax system is difficult for most to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
aka someone dealing with facts and reality, and calling you out based upon that?

wow...thats...uhmmm...pretty horrible.
Yup. I was thinking the exact same thing! The disinformation and need to clutch to the fabled "welfare queen" runs pretty deep. Usually the deepest in those from the south making under 40k.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Spin, spin, spin.

The non-poor also pay local sales taxes, state taxes AND property taxes, paying MORE total than the less affluent folk.

Yea, when you only pay sales tax, you are a mooch.
Most of those that pay no federal income taxes are working, they just don't earn enough, thanks to Ronald Reagan's Earned Income Tax Credit, to be liable for those taxes. Got a problem with that? blame Reagan.

These people pay state income taxes, and are usually renters -- and thus the rents they pay incorporate the property taxes of the owners, yet the poor receive no deduction for those taxes.

As a moral person, I have no problem with a society that taxes those who can pay taxes so the less fortunate can eat.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
wow, just wow. Did I say that government makes it harder to earn more money? Nooo, I said as you make more money the government takes more of your money making it harder for you to save and invest so you could build your wealth which if invested can produce a cash flow for you.

Why in the hell do you think people put money in their 401k? They are building wealth and hope it is enough to produce a cash flow live on when they retire.

Damn... people are so brainwashed to think giving money to the government is good they can't get simple concepts and they'll always be in the rat race.
Glad that you brought up 401K plans. Those plans are used mainly by the middle class to put money away for retirement. They are an excellent example of how the rich have tilted the scale toward themselves -- and also an excellent example of how one doesn't need a lower capital gains rate to induce investors. Money put in 401K plans are tax deferred and when the money is withdrawn years later, it's taxed at the ordinary income rate, not the lower capital gains rate the rich benefit from. Does that fact stop people from contributing to these plans? No.

Also remember that half of the capital gains earned in the nation are concentrated in the upper 1% and half of that in the top 0.1%.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123
So, most of those poor people you despise are actually working, not "sitting around doing nothing."

But that's okay - believe whatever you want. I wonder what will happen when you're at that age when you need taxpayer assistance and can't work anymore? I assume you'll be macho enough to turn it down, right? Lol... we all know how that goes. Right-wing extremists are always special snowflakes who think they are "entirely self-made," while everyone they dislike is a "lazy bum." No facts, no understanding of reality, no humility, and no empathy - sad, really. Anyway, enjoy your rantings; you have earned your Ignore status.
Quote:
^^^ And this folks is your typical Obama supporter lol
So? Why shouldn't people vote for candidates that work to make their lives better instead of the candidates that promise to lower taxes on the rich?

Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yup. I was thinking the exact same thing! The disinformation and need to clutch to the fabled "welfare queen" runs pretty deep. Usually the deepest in those from the south making under 40k.
Yup. It kind of proves the old notion that the Republican Party is based upon rich white people telling poor white people that poor brown people are the reason for all their problems.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
Who are these people that pay "little or no taxes?"

So, you want to tax the elderly, the disabled, students and those that earn very little money?

Tax those people and realize that we aren't talking about a huge windfall in tax revenue. You can't squeeze money from a stone.

What I do object to is the roughly 7,000 of the households paying no federal income tax include millionaires.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
This is a distracting debate. Its designed to pit low level income earners against each other while the rich laugh their way to the bank enjoying the benefits of our country going further into debt.

Getting workers to hate the unemployed is a good wage suppression tactic.

Lets think about it:

1. Get workers to hate the unemployed. get them to think everyone unemployed is living in a McMansion and has 2 Cadillacs. (you can include the unions in this)

2. Workers vote for welfare cuts. Then we get few consumers, less demand, more stores make cuts. More unemployed.

3. This will in effect create more job applicants. Increasing supply of workers for jobs. Employers can then pick who will work for the lowest amount.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
This is a distracting debate. Its designed to pit low level income earners against each other while the rich laugh their way to the bank enjoying the benefits of our country going further into debt.

Getting workers to hate the unemployed is a good wage suppression tactic.

Lets think about it:

1. Get workers to hate the unemployed. get them to think everyone unemployed is living in a McMansion and has 2 Cadillacs. (you can include the unions in this)

2. Workers vote for welfare cuts. Then we get few consumers, less demand, more stores make cuts. More unemployed.

3. This will in effect create more job applicants. Increasing supply of workers for jobs. Employers can then pick who will work for the lowest amount.
Exactly!

It never ceases to amaze me how in America, nearly all the hatred is shown towards the people with no wealth and no real power. Somehow, we're to believe that "those people" are the root of our problems - not the insanely wealthy clowns at the top who buy up leaders in their free time. It is completely illogical; the poor guy working fast food who needs food stamps to survive because his company pays crap is NOT the reason that there are fewer and fewer decent jobs in this nation. But the far-right are mostly corporate toadies, so they will not confront the real problems. This results in all sorts of sad and yet hilarious "reasoning" from them, such as:

1) Poor people have all the money in America, and if you earn more money, it becomes harder to save any.

2) Power is bad, which is why the government is bad but big business - which owns the government - is somehow good

3) All poor people are "lazy" and "do nothing" - regardless of what the facts say - and if they all just somehow got a great education, everyone in the nation would be upper middle class doctors, engineers, etc.

It's all BS and illustrates a staggering lack of understanding about economics, politics, and reality. But the far-right is not interested in of that. They react to facts the same way a vampire reacts to sunlight: hissing rage, before turning to dust or running. Pathetic!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:21 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
I got a better question for the OP.

Why should I want to vilify the poor when I was one of the bottom 50% he/she vilified? Additionally I did what the right wing advocates; work hard, delayed gratification, waited till my 30s to have kids. Gained job skills. I am not any better off than if I had stayed at a lower position because the elites aren't paying that much more money for additional skills, not when student loans are factored in. I bought into your platform of hard work pays off and guess what, it didn't, so tell me why should I be mad at the poor? The fiscal elites are the ones not upholding their part of the bargain. Why should I be mad at the poor when I am paying 8% on student loan interest and Wall Street has been almost 0% for years?

I am for hard work and carrying your own weight, but the evidence is clear that wages aren't keeping up with productivity and profits and as a result more people make less. The bottom 50% aren't the freeloaders you want to portray.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:41 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
It's great how cognitive dissonance allows you to just gloss over the fact that taxes on capital gains and most dividends are taxed at a lower rate. Too bad that other people will inevitably accept what you say when it is true because our tax system is difficult for most to figure out.
Yep exactly, W2 income is taxed the most. The W2 workers should be saving and investing but to do that they need more money above their expenses ... wa la... the progressive tax code.... work OT, government takes more money, get a better paying job, the government takes more money. By the mere fact of our progressive tax system it is more difficult for the middle class W2 worker to keep that extra money to invest and build wealth.

Liberals and democrats defend the progressive tax code but that tax code keeps the middle class caught in a trap. It's difficult to get out of the trap because they need more money above expenses to build wealth... (remember, the more w2 income you make the more they take?). Nothing like hurting yourself to attempt to hurt the rich. Newsflash! The rich are "already" wealthy.

Anyone who thought they were hurting the rich by raising taxes on W2 income doesn't have a clue. Either liberals and democrats don't understand the tax code or they are intentionally keeping the middle class w2 worker down. Obama sold you a pack of lies.

Last edited by petch751; 06-28-2015 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies