Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
If you go get a second job, the government will reward you by taking a larger cut from your income. Doesn't that just really motivate you to want to work harder?

Now go get that second job so that you can be a little close to contributing your fair share.
You make a great point! Why should a person who earns more have to pay more. Lets look at a manager of a burger joint. He may end up working 80 hours a week for $800/week. Meanwhile, some of his workers make $10/hour doing bare minimums, and complain that they need a raise from their greedy boss.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
There is nothing wrong with retirees not paying Federal Income tax; however, there is plenty wrong with working age folks not paying them, year after year after year, while feasting on the taxes of those who do pay FIT.
So if there is an exception for retired people and that is acceptable, why wouldn't the truly disabled people count too and get an exception? That tends to lower the 50% figure a bit.
And if retired individuals and disabled are counted, how about the children. We are talking population figures here. Children count in the population totals. How many of that 50% that don't pay taxes are the children of our nation?

Well I started looking around and using the latest census data, 23.3% of the nation are children under the age of 18.
14.1% of the population are retired, over 65 and 19% of the population are legally disabled. That's a total of 56.4% of the population that actually have a good excuse for not paying federal taxes.

The OP's original post said 50% don't pay taxes and it's time to Blah, blah, blah. In fact here's the OP's post and thread starter. It;s very clear, 50% of the population don't pay federal taxes.

No_More_Handouts
"The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around".

So now that I've run the numbers for you Mr. Handout, what dead weight are you gonna get your taxes from? The retired?............The Disabled..............or how about the children?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Mohawkx, Some of the 50% are not dead beats, but you added 3 groups that are NOT mutually exclusive (LOL)!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

Well I started looking around and using the latest census data, 23.3% of the nation are children under the age of 18.
Too many breed and don't consider the consequences that the children have to pay. Oh the mother gets a government check, oh number 5 is on the way. cool! they get a bigger government check. See how they could care less about the children. It's the parents fault. Why is it ok for them to bring children into poverty? It's selfish and immoral.

Ask a child who was born into poverty how that's working out for them.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Those who want to work and keep the fruits of their own labor are castigated as self-centered and greedy, while progressives are held out to be all-compassionate and kind for supporting government-run programs for every malady under the sun. Those who are self-sufficient should be applauded for not burdening society and for fulfilling their own wants and needs.

Enough of Obama's, Liberal rubbish.

What's my fair share? What's my slice of the pie? Well, the pie had to be baked, dummy. Did you roll the dough?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I agree. Those people worked and paid their way. And if it weren't for the dead weights siphoning money from them they'd probably have more saved up for those retirement years.
Interesting but those who have paid taxes that pay for SNAP are losers, lazy etc when they use a service they paid into.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Too many breed and don't consider the consequences that the children have to pay. Oh the mother gets a government check, oh number 5 is on the way. cool! they get a bigger government check. See how they could care less about the children. It's the parents fault. Why is it ok for them to bring children into poverty? It's selfish and immoral.

Ask a child who was born into poverty how that's working out for them.
Look petch i agree with you but thats the welfare of old. Today they don't let people have another child so they can keep collecting welfare. Its not being poor thats bad its society that says its bad. Further honestly how many of the 40+ million who collect SNAP are wemon birthing childreen for welfare. Can you give me a stat? I bet its a small minority.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
OK, Hawaiian, then perhaps outlaw all assistance until one has paid 10x of the benefit value they are about to get. Now you can say they paid in.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
This thread has gone to H-E-L-L. The title of the thread is about the bottom 50%.... which is terribly misleading.

My original post in this thread proved it.
You ignored my post to you!

Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Interesting but those who have paid taxes that pay for SNAP are losers, lazy etc when they use a service they paid into.
Really. Some people just can't keep their legs together and keep on breeding more welfare cases to feed so that workers are forced to support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies