Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,382,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I haven't watched a SOTUA for many years because they're all loaded with meaningless blather regardless of which side of the aisle they come from.
I tend to agree with this. I'll never forget that W Bush had a line about switch grass in his SOTUA. Everyone was like 'what' that.' It's some kind of bio-fuel, I guess. Now if it works, and is economically viable, great, but what's it doing in a SOTUA. Next we'll be discussing oil changes and whether full synthetic is worth it or not.

Tonight will be a particular waste of time--a laundry list of proposals that will be DOA in the Republican-controlled Congress.

I say the same thing about the presidential general election debates, btw. Other people put great stock in them, but to me they tend to be a charade and waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM

17,453 posts, read 9,288,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We should take numbers. How many minutes into Obama's speech will it take for Obama to attack republicans.

If you haven't heard it every time you're obviously too busy enjoying those tingles.
Only the Gruber'd will watch this latest Campaign Speech Re-Hash -- who really wants to admit that they are Gruber'd?
Time will tell - there is already a Sticky on C-D.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:09 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,997,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
A lot of people fail to see how calling a football team the Redskins is offensive. Do you hold the same position with regard to that or are you just another liberal hypocrite?
The only thing offensive about the Washington Redskins is how they play football . After a home game, the stench from FedEx field can be smelled 50 miles in any direction. They are giving Native Americans a BAD name. I'd throw a tommy hawk in their direction too.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,304,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Alright, I'll meet you half way and give you that point. My point was that the President is divisive in his rhetoric. He pits one group against another. Gun owners vs. people who do not own them. Small towns in Pennsylvania vs. more progressive urban areas. Portraying people of faith as small minded. Portraying people who believe in enforcing border law as being anti-immigration.
This could be a chance to think. Why did I believe a lie about President Obama? Why did I believe he was insulting conservatives when he wasn't? What other things do I believe about what he has said or done that are false?

But nah you just go to more fantasyland stuff. SMH

But I get that for conservatives reality is meaningless.

No go zones in England and France, death panels in the ACA, there is no climate change, Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, Putin is a strong leader running circles around President Obama, Ebola is going to run rampant in America if we don't ban Africans, etc.

All conservative fantasy beliefs.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,234,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This could be a chance to think. Why did I believe a lie about President Obama? Why did I believe he was insulting conservatives when he wasn't? What other things do I believe about what he has said or done that are false?

But nah you just go to more fantasyland stuff. SMH

But I get that for conservatives reality is meaningless.

No go zones in England and France, death panels in the ACA, there is no climate change, Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, Putin is a strong leader running circles around President Obama, Ebola is going to run rampant in America if we don't ban Africans, etc.

All conservative fantasy beliefs.
It is amazing how you only focus on the part of my statement that you find useful. No comment on the President's divisiveness. But then, I really don't expect you to see it much less acknowledge it. The further left of center types never do.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:42 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,304,174 times
Quote:
It is amazing how you only focus on the part of my statement that you find useful. No comment on the President's divisiveness. But then, I really don't expect you to see it much less acknowledge it. The further left of center types never do.
What I focus on is the only relevant point you made.

General statements about the President pits Americans against one another is a belief. I don't discuss beliefs waste of time.

But you did make one specific claim that to you proved President Obama insulted conservatives, a claim that was complete fiction.

Again this could be a chance to ask yourself what other things you believe about the President that have zero basis in reality.

Or you could do what you and a lot of other cobservatives continue to do which is wallow in fantasyland.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,234,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What I focus on is the only thing of relevance you have made. Making general statements about the President pits Amerucans against one another is a belief. I don't discuss beliefs waste of time.

But you did make one specific claim thst proves President Obama insulted conservatives a complete fiction.

Again this could be a chance to ask yourself what other things you believe about the President that have zero basis in reality.

Or you could do what you and a lot of other cobservatives continue to do which is wallow in fantasyland.
Time to say we disagree. Have a good night.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,465,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We should take numbers. How many minutes into Obama's speech will it take for Obama to attack republicans.

If you haven't heard it every time you're obviously too busy enjoying those tingles.
Isn't it really dumb and shortsighted of conservatives to blame Obama for "attacking Republicans", when conservatives behave exactly the same and do nothing but "attack Democrats?" You haven't really thought this through, I presume.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,465,785 times
Quote:
And that's another thing... everyone blathering on about the President's "divisiveness" - as if what, Bush wasn't "divisive?" What president WASN'T "divisive?" This whole "divisive" chit chat is completely meaningless hyperbole by now.

For a Republican, anything a Democrat says is "divisive". For a Democrat, anything a Republican says is "divisive." If someone doesn't agree with me....they're being DIVISIVE!

So what? Why act so indignant about it? It's politics. Grass is also green and gravity makes things fall.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,969,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Isn't it really dumb and shortsighted of conservatives to blame Obama for "attacking Republicans", when conservatives behave exactly the same and do nothing but "attack Democrats?" You haven't really thought this through, I presume.
All King Obama has done for 6 long years is attack Republicans. Turn off MSNBC for a nanosecond and you'll find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies