Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times

Advertisements

Obama mentioned in his state of the union this evening that he proposes forcing students to stay in school until they graduate high school or until they turn 18 years of age. Currently, at least in Florida, children can drop out of school at 16 with a parent's approval.

I absolutely disapprove of this proposal by the president. In fact, I think students should be able to drop out even earlier. If a child does not wish to remain in school the government should have no say in forcing them to remain so.

I remember in my junior year of high school that many students, most of them male, started disappearing from the halls and the lunch areas. These males were dropping out of school because they didn't want to be there. But! There was not much point in them being there! Of the at least 15 men that I know who dropped out of school back then, none of them had any academic potential to begin with. Most of them were drug addicts, ghetto/white trash, and/or in most cases punks/bullies. I was glad to see them gone.

What do you all think of Obama's proposal?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 PM

298 posts, read 389,944 times
I totally agree. Who does 0bama think he is, a dictator?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM

438 posts, read 947,330 times
Hell to the naw. The kids that don't want to be there only serve as a distraction to all of those who do. I know some kids who are just biding their time until they can drop out. They do nothing productive in a classroom and are pretty much walking discipline problems. Let them be on their way.
The only reason I can see why anyone would want to FORCE them to stay is to make sure they are not up to no good on the streets...they're just up to no good in the class.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I totally agree. Who does 0bama think he is, a dictator?

Sure...nothing worse than an educated populace, huh? It's difficult to complain about people not working when you're denying them the skills that they need to succeed.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Sure...nothing worse than an educated populace, huh? It's difficult to complain about people not working when you're denying them the skills that they need to succeed.
I know people who dropped out of high school and went intoa trade school. And others who quite 2 years early, went on to get their GED, so they can go to college earlier than everyone else.

Who is stopping these people from getting skills they need to succeed?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
First you complain that poor people aren't educated, then when the president proposes something to ensure that at least all kids get a high school education, you complain.

You can't have it both ways!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
It's not a bad idea, but I don't see truant officers dragging 17 year olds to school day after day, do you?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
No one is denying these children an education. They drop out at younger ages because they want to. Forcing them to stay in school when they don't desire school will only bring down the experience for those who wish to stay.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
First you complain that poor people aren't educated, then when the president proposes something to ensure that at least all kids get a high school education, you complain.

You can't have it both ways!
Way different scenario! This has nothing to do with poor people. It has to do with people from all economic backgrounds. Whether rich or poor, someone shouldn't have to stay in school until they are 18 if they don't want to.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Obama mentioned in his state of the union this evening that he proposes forcing students to stay in school until they graduate high school or until they turn 18 years of age. Currently, at least in Florida, children can drop out of school at 16 with a parent's approval.

I absolutely disapprove of this proposal by the president. In fact, I think students should be able to drop out even earlier. If a child does not wish to remain in school the government should have no say in forcing them to remain so.

I remember in my junior year of high school that many students, most of them male, started disappearing from the halls and the lunch areas. These males were dropping out of school because they didn't want to be there. But! There was not much point in them being there! Of the at least 15 men that I know who dropped out of school back then, none of them had any academic potential to begin with. Most of them were drug addicts, ghetto/white trash, and/or in most cases punks/bullies. I was glad to see them gone.

What do you all think of Obama's proposal?

How young do think a student can be to drop out? Perhaps those students who drop out can go to work in factories if the child labor laws are dropped. America can tap into a source of cheap labor to exploit especially since the illegal immigrants are disappearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies