Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are doing just that. We're retiring and moving to a smaller house.
I'm going from a 5-car garage to a 3-car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
This is a guy who deserves a 99.9 percent wealth tax.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Truth is, he's right. Americans buy entirely too much crap.

I don't care about his political persuasion. But he's not wrong about this subject.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Truth is, he's right. Americans buy entirely too much crap.

I don't care about his political persuasion. But he's not wrong about this subject.
You'd care if it were the Coke brothers telling you to buy less crap... guaranteed!

BTW... what "crap" do we buy? Clothing, automobiles, computers, appliances? I pretty much use everything I buy until it's worn out. Maybe I'm different, but I tend to own things I can really use, not just crap.

But I digress... We do eat way too much cheap fast food, which is no longer cheap, not very fast, and rarely qualifies as food. Now that would constitute crap to me.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The libs will hang on every word as it's the gospel and have an orgasm.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Not saying I agree or not with this nobody (sorry, never heard of him before now)...

But perhaps what MEANT was that people should live within their means. he obviously can well afford his lifestyle, but there are many who live check to check b/c of keeping up with the Jones's.

Maybe he's just bad at articulating what he meant.

Or, he's a hypocrite. Either way, who cares what he says?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes we think that others should have less of everything and we should have more.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You'd care if it were the Coke brothers telling you to buy less crap... guaranteed!

BTW... what "crap" do we buy? Clothing, automobiles, computers, appliances? I pretty much use everything I buy until it's worn out. Maybe I'm different, but I tend to own things I can really use, not just crap.

But I digress... We do eat way too much cheap fast food, which is no longer cheap, not very fast, and rarely qualifies as food. Now that would constitute crap to me.
I don't know anything about some Coke Brothers. Whatever.

I'm not budging...the guy is right. Americans buy waaaaaay too much crap. A lot of it they can't even afford. And what they can "afford," they become slaves to by working their asses off just to keep. There's a reason why the repossessions and credit score business is so lucrative in this country.

Food? Meh...American are gastronomically challenged anyway. 95% of Americans think the Cheesecake Factory is fine dining, so I'm like...bleh.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:24 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well, he said, "He said: 'America's lifestyle expectations are far too high and need to be adjusted'

Read more: Americans need to have 'less things' in life, says billionaire Jeff Greene | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The logic is flawed. If a person who can afford nicer things in life also lives within his or her means, what is wrong with a higher expectations of lifestyle?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The crap we as Americans buy for ourselves is far less destructive to our society than the crap our Government buys on our behalf.

This billionaire should be railing against the unbelievable waste, graft and corruption in our government before laying into the little people who they steal from. I guarantee this idiot has done his share of getting public money for donating to a "friend" in office!
You've got that right.

Koch brothers set $889 million budget for 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies