Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

It's a money decision. If I were in his position and I can get paid a million $ to cross-dress like he does and still packing my bone. I'll do it, this is showbiz and all you folks think this is some platform of political talk is just not realizing his true intentions. The same intentions that Kim made a sex tape.

You really think Kardashians do all these ridiculous things to break some societal standards? There's nothing new here. It's the same old trick.

Last edited by Marka; 06-07-2015 at 02:30 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 01:34 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a money decision. If I were in his position and I can get paid a million $ to cross-dress like he does and still packing my bone. I'll do it, this is showbiz and all you folks think this is some platform of political talk is just not realizing his true intentions. The same intentions that Kim made a sex tape.

You really think Kardashians do all these ridiculous things to break some societal standards? There's nothing new here. It's the same old trick.
Don't forget, you get a set of boobs to play with as well !!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:36 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
It would be good if Jenner graciously turned down this award.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:38 PM

103 posts, read 82,591 times
Hmm, lots of people on this thread insist on calling Caitlyn Jenner "he" and "Bruce" after it was made perfectly clear that she does not want that anymore...

It's funny that people can be so against someone else's personal choices. And yes, IT IS a choice to transition into a woman and change your name... but it is NOT a choice to FEEL like a woman when you are biologically male.

My point is, Caitlyn Jenner has felt that way for her whole life; just because she made the choice to act on it and make her life happier doesn't give anyone the right to deny her identity. In the end, it's her life and there's no reason as to why you guys have to make it awkward for her or deny her identity.

I don't bash on anyone else for their choices whether it's being true to themselves by changing their name, taking hormones to look the way they want to, or dressing up nicely. I just address them with whatever they are comfortable with. At the end of the day, it's not your life and we're all trying to be happy in different ways. Why interrupt someone else's happiness?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:45 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
How many outraged people have even heard of the ESPYs?
Of those, how many know what the Arthur Ashe Award is for?
How many could name any prior winners before the hubbub?
How many can name another viable candidate?

So far it sounds like zero.
I knee who Lauren Hill was. You don't even have to watch ESPN - - there were multiple stories on her with multiple nightly news programs.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs_this_morning/video/89ik4uilIRCJrsyeWoAGPiYfnnXcNLbk/student-with-terminal-cancer-to-play-on-college-basketball-team/

And if they wanted to give the award to a transgendered athlete, got back to Rene Richards who did this FORTY YEARS AGO while she was still competing.

Renée Richards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM

613 posts, read 463,641 times
What does that even have to do with anything????????????????????????

Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Face it, ESPN is a corporation built to make money. They don't cover sports as a charity operation. Their awards program is an annual bid to get attention and draw viewers to their product, just as the the Oscars are an excuse to advertise movies and the Grammys are designed to publicize the music industry.

In all of those awards contests, the most deserving person/product is often overlooked for something that will/already has captured public attention and/or created controversy. When's the last time the Best Record Grammy went to a great song that wasn't already at the top of the charts? Grammys are awards given to people in the music industry who have demonstrated a talent for being able to get the public's attention and sell a product — the greatness/originality of the music has nothing to do with it.

That's what's happening here. The Jenner story is huge. Why? The American public made it huge. Bruce Jenner's sexuality would be a sidebar if Americans weren't already throwing bazillions of dollars at the Kardashians and sex reassignment wasn't something that many people seem to be perversely fascinated with. Chaz Bono wasn't on Dancing With the Stars when he was Chastity Bono. The year John Ford's nostalgic family drama How Green Was My Valley won Best Picture, guess what else was nominated and didn't win? Citizen Kane. Popularity drove the voting, not artistic merit. ESPN just lucked out on the fact that Jenner was once a lauded athlete. From a business standpoint, they'd be crazy not to take advantage of that fact.

Look how many people tuned in to see the recent interview with Bruce Jenner where he discussed his journey (I can't reference the show because I didn't watch it and don't know which program it was). Despite my not watching, I saw dozens of clips from the interview on other shows. Obviously producers realize there is a public fixation on this topic.

American television doesn't start trends. It never did. It reflects topics viewers have already demonstrated an interest in. They used to be a little slow on the uptake. Example: the Beatles were huge all over the world before they made their first appearance on American television. TV isn't making mistakes like that in these days of corporate greed. They will beat a topic into the ground as long as it's something on people's minds.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Lauren Hill was brave and inspiring, yes, but as far as anything I have heard or read, her contributions did not transcend sports, promote change or human rights, etc. She was a sick girl that the crowd liked to cheer on, but I don't see her accomplishments on par with Ali or King.
OMFG.

What, pray tell, has Jenner done that transcends sports? All he's done is been fodder for tabloids. He hasn't been relevant as an athlete in 40 years. He would have been a nobody if not for his ridiculous Kardashian reality show.

What has he done to promote change? The so-called LGBT community didn't exactly start with him and it would have continued strongly without any action on his part.

As far as human rights, again, how does his angst about believing he is really a woman have anything to do with human rights? Maybe if he goes to the middle east and puts his life on the line to stand up for transgenders, maybe, but all his recent action is going to accomplish is put a wad of cash in his pocket, oh excuse me, his purse.

Lauren Hill wasn't "just a sick girl that the crowd liked to cheer on". She showed that people, especially young people who are not usually affected by terminal illness, can keep living and not give up and inspire others to do the same. I think that transcends sports very well.

Of course her accomplishments weren't on par with Ali or King. She never got the chance to live that long! Don't compare her to them though. Compare her to Jenner, who won the award this year.

Lauren was a real athlete who kept competing even knowing she didn't have long to live. How you can downgrade her life and accomplishments so dismissively is beyond pathetic. But I'm sure you'll enjoy watching Bruce/Caitlyn picking up his/her award at the Espys this year. Have to find out what designer gown "she" will be wearing.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Hmm, lots of people on this thread insist on calling Caitlyn Jenner "he" and "Bruce" after it was made perfectly clear that she does not want that anymore...

It's funny that people can be so against someone else's personal choices. And yes, IT IS a choice to transition into a woman and change your name... but it is NOT a choice to FEEL like a woman when you are biologically male.

My point is, Caitlyn Jenner has felt that way for her whole life; just because she made the choice to act on it and make her life happier doesn't give anyone the right to deny her identity. In the end, it's her life and there's no reason as to why you guys have to make it awkward for her or deny her identity.

I don't bash on anyone else for their choices whether it's being true to themselves by changing their name, taking hormones to look the way they want to, or dressing up nicely. I just address them with whatever they are comfortable with. At the end of the day, it's not your life and we're all trying to be happy in different ways. Why interrupt someone else's happiness?
I think most people don't care if he wants to identify as a female, they just understand that he will always be a male biologically.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post

Give me a million bucks, you can call me a B**ch or anything, I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
i predict she will come out as gay...
Next Diane Sawyer interview, Caitlyn admits being a lesbian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies