Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 02:39 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
In some states they require you to pass a safety course, or hunting safety test in order to purchase an firearm. I think California put this in place years ago, but maybe this should be required nationwide. There would be no registration just that one has passed a basic safety test. I'm a firearm owner I think most firearms should be legal, but having worked in a gun store a few folks that came in bought a firearm really had no idea how to safely handing it.
I'd be okay with something like that. While I generally don't favor passing more laws it's hard to see anything positive about having unqualified yahoos running around with deadly weapons. I would certainly never entrust any of my firearms to someone unless I knew they were capable and responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 03:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
In some states they require you to pass a safety course, or hunting safety test in order to purchase an firearm. I think California put this in place years ago, but maybe this should be required nationwide. There would be no registration just that one has passed a basic safety test. I'm a firearm owner I think most firearms should be legal, but having worked in a gun store a few folks that came in bought a firearm really had no idea how to safely handing it.
I think that should be left up to the seller. The constitution says the government can't infringe on your right to bare arms. Doesn't say Walmart can't.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:04 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Relying on an ageing population to lessen violent crime and shootings, isn't the way most would go about it.
The same is happening in other countries as well, which means, the US still has a much higher percentage of gun deaths than other developed countries that have stricter gun laws. It's not like the US stats are getting closer to other countries.
Why the laser focus on "gun deaths"? Are other kinds of homicide, and other violent crime, not worth addressing when they don't assist you towards your goal of justifying gun control?

The US non-firearms murder rate is higher than the total murder rate in many European countries. But if you look at European-american homicide offenders in the USA, their homicide offense rate starts to approach the rate for their nation of origin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bloomberg
It’s controversial, but first thing is all of your — 95 percent of your murders and murderers, and murder victims fit one M.O. You can just take the description, Xerox it, and pass it out to all of the cops. They are male, minorities, 15 to 25. That’s true in New York, it’s true in virtually every city in America
Clearly
Bloomberg is a racist.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-05-2015 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Added graph from Wikipedia

Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Relying on an ageing population to lessen violent crime and shootings, isn't the way most would go about it.
The same is happening in other countries as well, which means, the US still has a much higher percentage of gun deaths than other developed countries that have stricter gun laws.

It's not like the US stats are getting closer to other countries.
Check it out. I think you'll find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd be okay with something like that. While I generally don't favor passing more laws it's hard to see anything positive about having unqualified yahoos running around with deadly weapons. I would certainly never entrust any of my firearms to someone unless I knew they were capable and responsible.
Is that kind of like unqualified yahoos running around with the right to vote?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The constitution says the government can't infringe on your right to bare arms.
So you can not be compelled to wear long sleeved shirts?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Is that kind of like unqualified yahoos running around with the right to vote?
Similar principle, although you won't be killed or wounded by the latter.

I'd be okay with requiring people to take a basic civics and current events exam before voting.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Similar principle, although you won't be killed or wounded by the latter.

I'd be okay with requiring people to take a basic civics and current events exam before voting.
I would personally be fine with that too, but where is that required in the constitution?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default No more Laws Please. I'll Pass!

Quote:
No we do need anther law. What wrong with you??????

Most people who buy guns do this automatically and if one wishes a CCW there is requirements already in place.

The guns in place actually work very well in back ground checks any way.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:48 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Sure it does. We have to keep public areas safe. So it potentially violates the collective rights of the public.

Guns make any situation more dangerous. That's why those of us who are trained in firearms say "always treat a firearm as if it were loaded".
LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies