Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,771 times

Advertisements

Before being allowed to vote? Since the favorite theme of the day are needs tests and qualifications to exercise rights, why not a qualification to vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
There already is a prerequisite to vote. You have to register.

Plus voting does not put others in danger, that's the difference. Yes you have a right to have a gun under the Constitution however the government has an obligation to protect the public and your fellow citizens have a right to be safe from you.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:50 PM

Voting does put others in danger, as much as anyone owning a gun. People vote for those who send hundreds of thousands to war. People vote on laws that take the lives of others. Obviously, given the lack of understanding how voting can affect the lives of others to the point of taking life, it goes to show just how little some know about it. Registering to vote has what to do with competency ? My point seems to be made doesn't it?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:55 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
I think one needs to have an ID to actually vote, not a test. They have to register anyway so make them show an ID as well.

As far as a test, no. Unless the "test" is them being competent enough to actually get an ID and register to vote!

Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Voting does put others in danger, as much as anyone owning a gun. People vote for those who send hundreds of thousands to war. People vote on laws that take the lives of others. Obviously, given the lack of understanding how voting can affect the lives of others to the point of taking life, it goes to show just how little some know about it. Registering to vote has what to do with competency ? My point seems to be made doesn't it?
But how exactly would knowing the constitution change this? Technically speaking, the government has the right and the power to declare war. It has the right to pass laws, even ones that are cruel so long as they are not in clear violation of the constitution.

Is there a lack of understanding? Yeah. Most definitely. Most people associate the constitution with the Bill of Rights, which is inaccurate (at least partially). The constitution defines how the government is meant to operate. The system of checks and balances, as it is often referred to, is outlines in the constitution. How we vote does not change this. Each of the three branches of government wants to preserve it's power; no matter what action the government takes, the system is based on a fail-safe mechanism. Congress doesn't want to be taken over by the president because then they feel invalidated; and vice verca.

And there are enough people who do understand the constitution and would speak out when the system is clearly broken. Broken is somewhat of a loaded term; technically the system is broken, but not explicitly unconstitutionally.

Do I think knowing the constitution is important? Absolutely. I highly recommend everyone who votes to check up on the constitution, look at party platforms, and research those running (and not just of the two major parties). But should these things be a requirement? No. That's unconstitutional, and anyone who reads the constitution would view it as wrong to require people to read the constitution in order to vote. In short, legislation that would require what you want would be incredibly ironic.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:46 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
New citizens are required to take a test which involves questions about the Constitution and Gov. The average high school graduate should also have a basic understanding of US History and important documents but sadly most of them know more about Kim kerdashians favorite lip gloss than they do about History.

We have so many uneducated voters that have no clue about a candidates policies, beliefs or track record yet they still vote for the bum because they like the way he looks or talks?

A test to vote I say No, but Yes to having a proper ID in order to cast that ballot.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:42 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Should a person be required to pass a knowledge competency test...Before being allowed to vote?
YES. If a person believes that the Earth is only 6,000 years old...or that human influences aren't significant enough to alter life-supporting habitats on Earth or even the atmosphere, then--YES--they are clearly too stupid to vote intelligently.

(I broadened your question for you.)

Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Proper ID establishes (at best) that the bearer is a citizen qualified to vote, according to the Constitution itself. It says nothing about good judgment or familiarity with the issues. As TheDusty points out in post #6, a knowledge-test as prerequisite for voting would indeed be unconstitutional. That can be resolved by amending the Constitution.

My personal opinion is that present voting-qualifications are both too narrow, and too broad. It seems to me that convicted felons shouldn't necessarily be disqualified from voting. Green Card holders (who reside in the US permanently, but are not yet citizens) ought, I think, to be allowed to vote. Thus the excessive narrowness. On the other hand, I'm not persuaded that the idea of universal one-person-one-vote has turned out to be a successful experiment. Without getting mired in a class-warfare diatribe, it seems to me that some proportionality or weighing of one's vote, in relation to "knowledge" or "competency" (whatever those mean) or "economic activity" would be a worthwhile revision.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As TheDusty points out in post #6, a knowledge-test as prerequisite for voting would indeed be unconstitutional.
Actually, there would be nothing unconstitutional about a civics test as a prerequisite for voting. The Constitution has been amended to specify certain conditions in which voting cannot be restricted -- no poll taxes are allowed, and voting can't be denied based on race, sex, or age above 18 -- but it doesn't say a test can't be administered.

I'd be all for it, because I think people have a responsibility to understand who and what they're voting for. If you can't name something as simple as the current VP or chief justice, the three branches of government, or who the USA won independence from, you have no business choosing our elected leaders.

If you have to pass a test to drive a car, it doesn't seem like too much to ask for people to pass a test before they can vote for the people who will make decisions over our lives.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Actually, there would be nothing unconstitutional about a civics test as a prerequisite for voting. The Constitution has been amended to specify certain conditions in which voting cannot be restricted -- no poll taxes are allowed, and voting can't be denied based on race, sex, or age above 18 -- but it doesn't say a test can't be administered.

I'd be all for it, because I think people have a responsibility to understand who and what they're voting for. If you can't name something as simple as the current VP or chief justice, the three branches of government, or who the USA won independence from, you have no business choosing our elected leaders.

If you have to pass a test to drive a car, it doesn't seem like too much to ask for people to pass a test before they can vote for the people who will make decisions over our lives.
Hooray. How many of us would stand up and make a lot of noise were some stranger to tell you how to raise your children yet remain silent and let someone without the basic knowledge of how this country was founded, why and upon what fundamental principles it exists, decide exactly that? Can anyone name a major problem we face that isn't rooted in the way people voted and ask yourself, just how many of those that vote haven't ever read the Constitution other than to lay claim to entitlements? How much of what goes on would be tolerated much less agreed to if people actually understood why the government was established the way it was and why there are limits placed upon it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies