Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times

Advertisements

The Muslim population of just three Asian countries - Indonesia, India and Bangladesh - is 530,740,000, which is larger than the entire population of the Middle East.

Islam by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Granted, there has been plenty of violence in these Southeast Asian countries, but there is no ISIS. If religion is pushing people to violence, I would expect to see evidence in the most Muslim area of the planet, but it doesn't appear to be so. Is ISIS coming to Indonesia? Or is this something particular to the Middle East?

While South & Southeast Asia have over one billion Muslims, this accounts for only 24.8% of the population. There are only one-third as many Muslims in the Middle East and North Africa, but this accounts for 91.2% of the population. Then again, Indonesia is 88.1% Muslim; Bangladesh 90.4. So, I'm not sure if this has significance. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The Muslim population of just three Asian countries - Indonesia, India and Bangladesh - is 530,740,000, which is larger than the entire population of the Middle East.

Islam by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Granted, there has been plenty of violence in these Southeast Asian countries, but there is no ISIS. If religion is pushing people to violence, I would expect to see evidence in the most Muslim area of the planet, but it doesn't appear to be so. Is ISIS coming to Indonesia? Or is this something particular to the Middle East?

While South & Southeast Asia have over one billion Muslims, this accounts for only 24.8% of the population. There are only one-third as many Muslims in the Middle East and North Africa, but this accounts for 91.2% of the population. Then again, Indonesia is 88.1% Muslim; Bangladesh 90.4. So, I'm not sure if this has significance. Thoughts?
You've been asking some good albeit basic questions about ISIS. You should read ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror by Michael Weiss. The book was just published, and it explains exactly how and why ISIS developed.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You've been asking some good albeit basic questions about ISIS. You should read ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror by Michael Weiss. The book was just published, and it explains exactly how and why ISIS developed.
Thank you.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:12 AM

Another suggestion if you really want to understand the development of Islamism (which is a modern phenomenon) is to Google Sayyid Qutb. He's an Egyptian who was active in the mid 20th century. He's kind of like the Arab Karl Marx. He developed an ideology that is very popular amongst Islamic extremists. He published many books that had, and continue to have, a lot of influence on this movement. Those who think members of ISIS are getting their ideas from the Koran are mistaken. They're getting their ideas from Qutb's narrow's interpretation of the Koran -- and his realization that Islam can be used as a political force. He was a secularist initially. He realized that an anti-colonial movement in the Arab world could be much more effective if it aligned itself with Islam.

I think ISIS is best understood as a political cult like Marxism. Yes, it claims to be the purest form of the Islamic religion, but that's not true. It's a very narrow sect of the religion, which is revolutionary and apocalyptic in outlook. It attracts many of the same sorts who were attracted to communism 100 years ago --- educated intellectuals from fairly well-to-do backgrounds who for psychological reasons are at odds with society -- and those form disenfranchised and impoverished masses.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 AM

Thanks, but that's not what I'm discussing. I'm not trying to understand ISIS per se. I'm pointing out the difference between Islam in two different parts of the world. I'm more interested in why Islamic insurrection hasn't occurred in SE Asia than why it has occurred in the Middle East. What is different about Indonesia and Bangladesh that has protected them from radical Islam? Both have fairly thriving capitalist economies. Is that relevant?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but that's not what I'm discussing. I'm not trying to understand ISIS per se. I'm pointing out the difference between Islam in two different parts of the world. I'm more interested in why Islamic insurrection hasn't occurred in SE Asia than why it has occurred in the Middle East. What is different about Indonesia and Bangladesh that has protected them from radical Islam? Both have fairly thriving capitalist economies. Is that relevant?
I think it's a great question. Here's my take -- what is commonly viewed as an outgrowth of Islam (Islamic extremism) is actually an outgrowth of a political ideology that developed in the Arab world as a reaction to colonialism. Sayyid Qutb is the most often cited source in modern jihadism. Qutb was influenced heavily by Leninism. He basically adapted it for an Arab audience.

Southeast Asia and other Muslim countries have a different history and development. Yes, they read the Koran and are influenced by it, but they're not reading Qutb.

The thriving capitalist economies may have some impact, but I tend to think ideas are powerful in and of themselves. No matter what culture you're from -- or how literate you are -- certain thinkers have influence. IF you grow up in America, you're going to be influenced by the ideas of Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine and others ... even if you are uneducated and have never even heard of them. They shape American thinking. Arab political thinking is unfortunately being heavily influenced by Qutb (and of course others ... but he's probably the most influential).

Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think it's a great question. Here's my take -- what is commonly viewed as an outgrowth of Islam (Islamic extremism) is actually an outgrowth of a political ideology that developed in the Arab world as a reaction to colonialism. Sayyid Qutb is the most often cited source in modern jihadism. Qutb was influenced heavily by Leninism. He basically adapted it for an Arab audience.

Southeast Asia and other Muslim countries have a different history and development. Yes, they read the Koran and are influenced by it, but they're not reading Qutb.
It was my take that this is a regional rather than a religious phenomenon. This seems to confirm that position.

Quote:
The thriving capitalist economies may have some impact, but I tend to think ideas are powerful in and of themselves. No matter what culture you're from -- or how literate you are -- certain thinkers have influence. IF you grow up in America, you're going to be influenced by the ideas of Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine and others ... even if you are uneducated and have never even heard of them. They shape American thinking. Arab political thinking is unfortunately being heavily influenced by Qutb (and of course others ... but he's probably the most influential).
I agree with you to an extent. ISIS recruits young people. I've read stories of youth from all cultures, classes and countries running to join ISIS. In this sense, it's more of a cult than a legitimate political movement. Hardly comparable to the US Founders. On the other hand, evil has infected the world in the past, so I agree on the power of ideas. However, I just don't see that happening in a part of the world that has seen remarkable economic growth over the last several decades. War torn countries are easy targets. Rising world economic powers aren't.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:44 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
I recommend "The Crisis of Islamic Civilization" by Ali Allawi.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:47 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
You haven't heard of jemaah islamiyah?

Jemaah Islamiyah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just yesterday Avijit Roy was hacked to deathin Bangladesh claimed to be killed by Ansar Bangla 7

Old 02-28-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
You haven't heard of jemaah islamiyah?

Jemaah Islamiyah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just yesterday Avijit Roy was hacked to deathin Bangladesh claimed to be killed by Ansar Bangla 7
Like I said, I'm aware of the violence in the region. There's been violence all over the world. They're not ISIS. Unlike Syria and Iraq, these countries are stable. What defines stability in the Middle East? The Arab Spring looked promising, but dictatorship and monarchy seem to be the stabilizing factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies