Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Yes but you need to have established a relationship with them of trust in which most foster kids have a challenge with. And honestly, probably 1/3 or more would be apt to steal and misuse a gun because their cognitive abilities were very low. You see foster children as a whole, are not like regular children. Most are special needs, very slow. You don't want guns around them. That is my experience with the years I fostered, a gun in my house would be disasterous for us and the child. They just all too often, have no fear. And all too often, they don't have the maturity to be taught a healthy respect for guns. That requires a certain maturity level. Of course some kids are fine, one we had works at a large grocery chain...he'd loved to shoot guns....but so many are so below average in every way that the laws are made for them. For their safety. Now had I have not been a foster parent, I don't know my opinion upon this subject.

To ban guns in general is bowing to a National Nanny Agenda imho. We need to carry them, and even if it becomes illegal, it never really morally will be. Its a right, period.

We need them to protect ourselves with guns unless.... having them means there is a likelihood a kid will use it against us or themselves, which is the problem when you take in foster kids. But other than that, to find another reason to ban guns is ludicrous. Guns in general, make for a safer enviornment overall. And Foster parents are a very minoot part of the whole population
Which is why you LOCK THEM UP..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
We were foster parents.

When you sign the contract, you agree to abide by the rules. There are ALOT OF rules and if I recall, we couldn't have a pool. The rules are there so you can take ANY Child, no matter what their background. And their backgrounds often dictate whether it's ok to leave a gun around (which for most normal kids is ok) or if Dad used a gun to swat mom in the head so just the site of a gun can instigate PTSD. Or some child with extreme hyperactivity, who cannot swim but needs to be watched 24/7 yet the parent is exhausted that day, somehow gets loose and jumps in the pool. We are human so it's easier to just not have the pool around so that one second we werent there because we had to go to the bathroom or whatever, they didn't die.

It is clear most of you have not fostered kids. So many of this population are special needs, disabled, Severly emotionally disturbed, etc.. and I hate labels but many acted it. So though I hate rules, I learned AFTER we fostered how it made my life easier. At least those kinds of rules.

The big question is... how in the world did the child's worker become privy to this couple NOT locking up their guns?

There is a BIG part of this story we're not knowing about.
The Workers are so overburdened and underpaid so something pre-cipitated this. The Foster visits are every 3 months, and often, not even that often. So they aren't there snooping in the house regularly, something precipitated it. And only an idiot Foster Parent would go out of their way to inform a Worker they signed the contract but didn't really mean their john hancock, they were lying...and that they actually leave guns around the house.

I cannot imagine what that 12 year old child thought upon learning his foster PARENTS found their right to hold onto their guns freely... as more important than holding onto him. IF that is the case

When I was a foster parent, we had home visits every four weeks without fail. When I had two kids at the same time, that meant visits twice a month since they were placed at different times.
I don't know if our agency was particularly pro-active, but that was the standard.

As for how this agency knew that this couple didn't/wouldn't secure their guns, it could have been as simple as asking if they had a gun safe and if not, whether they would be willing to buy one.
If both of the answers were "no" that would have been enough to produce this decision.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
When I was a foster parent, we had home visits every four weeks without fail. When I had two kids at the same time, that meant visits twice a month since they were placed at different times.
I don't know if our agency was particularly pro-active, but that was the standard.
That sounds incredibly wasteful. Maybe these programs are being run by the inept?

Quote:
As for how this agency knew that this couple didn't/wouldn't secure their guns, it could have been as simple as asking if they had a gun safe and if not, whether they would be willing to buy one.
If both of the answers were "no" that would have been enough to produce this decision.
Well, that didn't take long.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
oh please, if it was gay couple, we would not be talking about this.
Gay couples and minorities get top priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Now they know what its like being a gay couple.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
oh please, if it was gay couple, we would not be talking about this.
Gay couples and minorities get top priority.
In many places gay couples can not adopt. And yes I believe that is wrong also.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Redraven my daughter was taught not to touch things that do not belong to her so she was "housebroken". What you seem to not realize is that my child would not be the only child in the house she was visiting. It was my prerogative to make sure weapons were secure. That does not in anyway hinder gun ownership.
I didn't say a thing about "hinder gun ownership". WHY do you feel it necessary to defend yourself against something that was not said?
Apparently, if you are that worried about your daughter being led astray by other children, your parental teachings did not include "Just walk away!" or "If they do something that makes you uncomfortable (such as invading the parent's bedroom or den looking for drugs or guns) CALL ME, and I will come get you!" It is YOUR job to teach your children the skills they need to protect themselves, INCLUDING the knowledge that you are available at a moment's notice to come get them if they deem it necessary, AND the knowledge as to when it IS necessary, according to YOUR prejudices.
You can add whatever parameters you desire, but it still comes down to YOUR responsibility to TEACH your children! It doesn't matter what the danger is; staircase, swimming pool, backyard stream, pond, trampoline, balcony, gun, fishing hook, baseball bat, knife, brass knuckles, whatever. It is YOUR responsibility to TEACH!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That sounds incredibly wasteful. Maybe these programs are being run by the inept?
How so?

How many horror stories have we heard about agencies not checking on foster families regularly enough to notice that children were being abused or neglected?
The agency I was involved with was all about contact and communication through home visits, regular classes, activities for the kids, etc.
I could not imagine it working any other way.

Quote:
Well, that didn't take long.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
How so?

How many horror stories have we heard about agencies not checking on foster families regularly enough to notice that children were being abused or neglected?
The agency I was involved with was all about contact and communication through home visits, regular classes, activities for the kids, etc.
I could not imagine it working any other way.

Who in the hell said they shouldn't check? No one. Seriously, I can understand why they would want to check you twice. I renounce my complaint.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
They werent denied for not securing their gun, they were denied for having a PERMIT..

Which would have come up during any routine check.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
In many places gay couples can not adopt. And yes I believe that is wrong also.
yes they can.. There isnt a state in the country someone who is gay, cant adopt...

As a couple yes, thats true, but thats also true for straights. They arent treated any different in regards to adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies