Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
There's hypocrisy on both sides.

Jesus said to love everybody, including (and arguably, especially) those who don't deserve it. That does include terrorists. Now, saying you love terrorists is a great way to have the FBI show up at your door.

Would Jesus love the terrorists? Yes. He'd hate their actions, as the saying goes 'love the sinner, hate the sin.' He'd offer them redemption and mercy. Republicans (and Democrats, but the Dems aren't typically the ones claiming God is on their side) don't hold this view at all. They want all out war, which worked so well the first time....

Democrats criticize people all the time for what they believe. You're a bigot if you support traditional marriage. You're a misogynist if you don't support feminism. It's horrible. But the Republicans do this as well. If you don't support Israel, you're an anti-semite. If you don't want war with ISIS, you want the terrorists to win.

Republicans claim to be with Jesus; I want them to prove it.
those are horrible examples.

You dont have to be against gay marriage to defend "traditional marriage", but it seems that to many, any defense of it involves attacking the existence of gay marriage. Thats not a negative in any way on Democrats.

Same goes for feminism. Although my guess is that you are misusing that word as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I doubt Jesus would vote for a party that kills unborn babies or tries to take any mention of him out of schools.
FYI

Roe v. Wade was heard by a Supreme Court that had 6 Republican President nominated Justices out of 9. It was also heard and decided under a Republican President. So why in your mind does abortion fall on the Democrats exclusively?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times
As we march toward places and events that witness to the unveiling every detailed prophecy that speaks of a either a "mystery babylon" or the days of sorrows America is the template and a reason we are absent from prophecy. Why? ...we are no more. Why? We didn't "get" the ramifications for spitting
on Gods covenants, His land Israel, His believers and not
responding to His signs and warnings laid out that an illiterate
should have grasped.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
As we march toward places and events that witness to the unveiling every detailed prophecy that speaks of a either a "mystery babylon" or the days of sorrows America is the template and a reason we are absent from prophecy. Why? ...we are no more. Why? We didn't "get" the ramifications for spitting
on Gods covenants, His land Israel, His believers and not
responding to His signs and warnings laid out that an illiterate
should have grasped.

The Bible has many metaphors (symbolic word-pictures) for God and Jesus Christ. Jesus Himself said I am the bread of life, the light of the world, the door, the good shepherd and the true vine . All these metaphors give us meaningful insight into the many different aspects of the character, roles and relationships of Christ.
A significant related point is that when we read in the Old Testament about God appearing and speaking to people, that was the Word, the One who later was known as Jesus Christ after He came to Earth for His earthly ministry. Many, many scriptures corroborate this truth.

We see that using metaphors for God is fine, but the Second Commandment forbids making any physical images to represent God. This also means that we must not incorporate visual images of God into our worship of God.

One metaphor for God is the Sun. It’s quite meaningful because the sun is the physical light of the world while Christ (and His true disciples) are the spiritual lights of the world. But both sun-worship and representing God with images of the Sun are inexcusable and abominable in God’s sight because they violate both the First and Second Commandments.

We can also say that a metaphor for God is a star because our Sun is a star. A star is a hot sphere that generates light whereas a planet merely reflects light from stars. Incidentally, the saints who are resurrected to be in God’s kingdom are also compared with stars in their glory.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:56 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
those are horrible examples.

You dont have to be against gay marriage to defend "traditional marriage", but it seems that to many, any defense of it involves attacking the existence of gay marriage. Thats not a negative in any way on Democrats.

Same goes for feminism. Although my guess is that you are misusing that word as well.
I'm not saying those are my views. I've heard phrases like that from the left. Plenty of people call you a bigot for supporting traditional marriage (and when I say that, I mean only supporting traditional marriage). I've also heard that same about feminism.

You find the examples poor because you are on the left and know that not everyone on the left holds these views. But it would be ignorant to claim that none of them do.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,419 times
I'm a Christian and I don't see a lot offensive in the Democrat party. On the contrary, I see a lot of offensive politics coming out of the Right and certain Republicans.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:07 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean the left is against:
Feeding the poor
Healing the sick

I could go on. The left represents Christian values quite well, even the atheists on the left often do. Which is more important? People saying they represent christian values, or people actually acting on christian values?
Excellent question, Greywar.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:24 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Was Jesus a conservative or a liberal?

Conservatives love guns and a powerful military. And conservatives hate welfare, hate South American immigrants, hate homosexuals, hate black people on welfare, and hate black presidents.

Was Jesus a conservative or a liberal?

You sound confused about the role of the United States government.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:44 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
The far left is continuing to be anti-Christian and pro-Islam/atheist. We have Obama(who claims to be a Christian) dissing Christianity, we have the far left liberals trying to challenge everything to do with religion(or, Christianity and Judaism), and liberals trying to take away businesses rights(See, Hobby Lobby) or the rights of the Catholic owned Hospitals. Then of course, there's the issue of gay marriage and abortion.

The African-American Christians are mostly Democrat. For the most part, they are very religious, even more so than many white Christians. Will they realize that the Democrats aren't actually on their side, and they are members of a party that is becoming more and more anti-Christian? How about all those Catholic Hispanics?
It depends on how deep and heart felt the Christian hatred and resentment is against gays. A lot of Christians, don't get that worked up over what gays do in bed, though. However, some Christian storekeepers would much rather sell sell candy unknowingly to child molesters than to have to sell candy to gay people on account of a anti-discriminatory law. They got plenty of Republicans in Congress to back them up. And it makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Are Christians in America persecuted? Of course not. There's no comparing the lives of Christians in the US to Christians in areas like the Middle East, who are brutally slaughtered for their faith.

But Christians are pretty much the only group that its still OK to be bigoted towards without any consequence. A day doesn't go by when I don't see someone spouting outright hatred towards Christians and not only doesn't get called out on it, but receives likes/upvotes/etc. Disrespect for Jesus and the Christian God is common on TV and in movies, while that would never fly with any other religion's deity (other than perhaps Hinduism).
Where do you live? I see nothing of the kind where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies