Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I have two: Transgender issues and Breastfeeding, and the reason is that the people who are very passionate about either the rights of transgenders or the right to breastfeed anywhere and in way they like are often (although certainly not always) extremely rude, imo, to anyone who has a different opinion.

I absolutely think that everyone has a right to express their views as vehemently as they like (although I definitely think they should also be civil), but I just don't like to feel actually attacked when I express mine. I confess that it is very difficult for me to continue to be civil in that case.

Which issues do you avoid posting about and why?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-16-2015 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:35 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Yes many people on message boards are rude especially if they start to view you as the enemy. I do not mind commenting on just about anything if I feel in the mood to do so . What I try to avoid is being careful not to post too much personal stuff. I have at times written personal stuff and then deleted it.

I do sometimes write about my problems or controversial issues but try not to go into too many private details of my own personal life. I do not know if that answers your question but for me it is not so much what topic I will not discuss it is how I feel comfortable discussing it. Once you put information about yourself online it is out there forever.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
I will comment on any topic.

Things I care about I will comment and give my own opinions. Things I don't care much about I will just tell everyone why they are wrong and not add very much to the OP. Not the best trait, I know.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I hate discussing irritable bowel syndrome.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Sex, anti-Semitism, breastfeeding. Those are the top 3 I generally avoid discussing.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:05 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Depends on the forum. After 6 years on this forum, I think any subject that isn't a hateful, vicious attack on Obama, Clinton or any democrat is asking for trouble and a heap of personal attacks against oneself. You defend a liberal and you're looking for trouble. Don't defend blacks and stay away from Native American rights unless you want to get hammered by a cadre of far right, racist cretins who haven't left their keyboards to even change their socks in 2 years.

I've been lurking in other forums on C-D lately, trying to find a more rational discussion. I realize I can't stand the right wing heat and have been avoiding the kitchen. It isn't very relaxing or rewarding to log into a forum and get gang banged by a vicious pack of political pit bulls for everything you say. Discussion is good. Rat packing is not.
I used to think P&OC was turning into stormfront lite. Now I think stormfront has moved over here enmass. No room for any middle of the road, liberal thought on this site any more.
SickofNYC is gone, Kat is gone. I've had at least 6 kindred spirits DM me in the last year to say goodbye because they felt there was not a place for them in the discussion. I feel the same way, actually.

So to answer the question, Any subject or opinion that I may have is a forbidden topic in this forum. I don't start Obama hate threads. I don't consider all liberals to be the scum of the earth. I'm not looking to get even with RINOs. I don't consider all blacks to be the problem and I don't want to dismantle every social safety net in the nation. There is nothing I could post here any more that wouldn't get me a ton of pushback and derision from the usual 10 people.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Depends on the forum. After 6 years on this forum, I think any subject that isn't a hateful, vicious attack on Obama, Clinton or any democrat is asking for trouble and a heap of personal attacks against oneself. You defend a liberal and you're looking for trouble. Don't defend blacks and stay away from Native American rights unless you want to get hammered by a cadre of far right, racist cretins who haven't left their keyboards to even change their socks in 2 years.
Yes, this appears to be true. Some days I've scanned the titles of the threads and they are almost comical in their inflammatory level.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'll give my opinion to anyone if I'm directly asked IRL, otherwise when convo turns to religion or any "social justice" topic I usually just listed to see where people stand and then choose my words carefully. Or just leave, because I hate talking about that shyt.

On forums I will say what I feel to anyone, whether I'm invited to or not! LOL! However, I try to avoid abortion debates because it's pointless.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have two: Transgender issues and Breastfeeding, and the reason is that the people who are very passionate about either the rights of transgenders or the right to breastfeed anywhere and in way they like are often (although certainly not always) extremely rude, imo, to anyone who has a different opinion.

I absolutely think that everyone has a right to express their views as vehemently as they like (although I definitely think they should also be civil), but I just don't like to feel actually attacked when I express mine. I confess that it is very difficult for me to continue to be civil in that case.

Which issues do you avoid posting about and why?
1. Religion

2. Gun rights

3. war - A war is only just if it is fought for a reason that is justified, and that carries sufficient moral weight.

I volunteer at VA hospital and more I work there, the more I believe wars should be avoided at ALL cost.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-16-2015 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 03-16-2015, 03:47 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
I'll get into philosophical debates about government as a whole, but I don't care about discussing which party is better, which politician did something good or bad, or most of the left vs right arguments. I think it's a waste of time.

The image that comes to mind is zoo animals debating over which zookeeper they want or which other zoos their keepers should model. The important question is whether they belong in a zoo in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies