Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 03:56 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times

Advertisements

St. Patrick's Day celebrations are widely accepted because the Irish have a sense of humor.

The celebrations are caricatures, exaggerated representations of Irish heritage yet the Irish embrace it. They don't use their history to elicit guilt or to demand special treatment, or reparations for being tricked with free passage to America only to find themselves on the auction block upon arrival.

They are a resilient group that generates admiration from many Americans. Despite their past adversity, they are all-inclusive.

Just my observations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
St. Patrick's Day celebrations are widely accepted because the Irish have a sense of humor.

The celebrations are caricatures, exaggerated representations of Irish heritage yet the Irish embrace it. They don't use their history to elicit guilt or to demand special treatment, or reparations for being tricked with free passage to America only to find themselves on the auction block upon arrival.

They are a resilient group that generates admiration from many Americans. Despite their past adversity, they are all-inclusive.

Just my observations
I suspect you know this, but many people do not. The Irish have a special understanding of what it was like to be subjected to inhuman treatment as many came over as indentured servants. An irony no doubt lost on the OP, despite his chosen forum ID.
As a matter of fact, some Irish were in fact brought over as slaves, but you don't read about that in most history books now days.
Nor do those beating the drums for reparations think of descendants of Irish folk.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Just my observations
The Irish only embrace your caricatures and exaggerated representation after the larger culture finally and fully embraced and accepted the Irish as "one of their own". Black people will laugh at our caricatures and exaggerated representation once the larger culture accepts us as one of their own.

We, as black people, do not use our history to to elicit guilt. What's obvious is that our history elicits guilt and discomfort in the lager population. If black people simply give a truthful narration of how we arrived where we are today, using history and actions begetting reactions, half the larger white population will feel some sort of guilt or discomfort. If that same guilt and discomfort is not felt in regards to the Irish narration of how they arrived where they are today, then obviously there is a distinction with a difference.
Again, I posit that if you walk in our shoes.....you end up standing where we are standing. Light skinned African Americans, who could pass for white.....were able to prosper more than the dark skinned black person for the same reason that Irish and Jewish people were eventually able overcome discrimination. If you cannot be identified easily......it greatly diminishes the efficacy of discrimination. Yes, the Irish were resilient enough to drop their accent and or their surnames to blend in, just like those blacks who passed for white and did the same, allowing them to prosper from white privileges.

The day the black rate of poverty, unemployment and wealth are on par with whites......we can all get together in black face and have a party and laugh.....until then expect to get an azz kicking for doing it.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
African Americans have to defend the celebration of black history month or anything "African", yet, why do the Irish in America get their "Irish" day so widely accepted? Whatever happened to just being "American"...when it comes to the Irish.
Because on St Paddy's Day EVERYONE is Irish

Old 03-17-2015, 04:59 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,959,833 times
Default Everyone's Irish indeed!

When I see video or hear first person accounts of St Patrick's Day celebrations, it always includes black people and brown people and yellow people and bronze people all p*ssing and vomiting in the street right along with all the white people. Erin go braugh, bro!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Erin go git ur bra, its on the barroom floor again.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
OP, you can kiss the Blarney

Old 03-17-2015, 05:15 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,959,833 times
Default One other thing

Why are the Israelis having their election on St. Patrick's Day ? do they know something we don't?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
I'm going out tonite with my wife ...green Ireland shirt and all...and I'll be Irish for 2 or 3 hours before reverting back to my normal black dude self.

Why not? It's kinda fun.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:08 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
The one day I avoid bars like the plague; my BWW friends call it "amateur night".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies