Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 12:10 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm black and I rather enjoy St Patty's Day.

That said, the OP is right. And the same thing for Cinco De Mayo.

But let it be anything black, and it's a problem. Hell, Kwanzaa is about as harmless and non threatening as it gets and folks even bytch about that constantly.

But whatever. I actually enjoy all the crying and whining that folks do about so called black commemorative events and celebrations. Gives me a chance to rub it in on them since they can't do a damn thing about it but get mad.
But I am white and enjoy Black History Month.

Really, I do. Carver, Washington, Parks, etc were interesting people who did interesting and sometimes heroic things.

Let the record reflect: I Like Black History Month

Kwanzaa? Stupid, but harmless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm black and I rather enjoy St Patty's Day.

That said, the OP is right. And the same thing for Cinco De Mayo.

But let it be anything black, and it's a problem. Hell, Kwanzaa is about as harmless and non threatening as it gets and folks even bytch about that constantly.

But whatever. I actually enjoy all the crying and whining that folks do about so called black commemorative events and celebrations. Gives me a chance to rub it in on them since they can't do a damn thing about it but get mad.
You may be right on some level, even if it is for the wrong reason.

I deride "Kwanzaa" not because it is a black incarnation, but because it is a made up creation posing as some sort of religious holiday.
I feel the same was about Scientology, and that has nothing to do with black people. If forced to choose between the two I'd pick Kwanzaa to celebrate as there are less loons in my view.

Still, whether it be ebonics or some other half baked idea, these are mere bumps in the road vs. the real ills of blacks in society.
Until PC dies down and we can have adult reasoned discussions on how to fix the ills, blacks have an uphill battle. It can be done, because there are plenty of examples of blacks coming from nothing by pulling up their boot straps to make themselves a success.
However the racial chips some carry around on their shoulders are an impediment to that future.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Actually I think Vector was pretty right on and it hit home. It is blacks that are the modern day segregationists with self segregated dorms, black graduations and the like.

The whites started leaving Detroit before integration and it accelerated as the city declined and the schools declined.

When Vector spoke about governmental causes of the disintegration of the black family they were spot on and that disintegration had been predicted by Moynihan in his seminal work.
I cannot argue with people who hold to the theory that saying "ouch" is the moral equivalent of being punched and then using the "ouch" as justification for further mistreatment.

Every action creates a reaction. Thus, racist will always have an excuse for their racism as blacks continue to react to it.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm going with the drink, music and the Irish food associated with St Patrick's Day.

I say the same thing about Gay Pride parades. You want everyone to celebrate with you? You need to come up with a gay dish to go along with the parade and nail down the music.

Disco and Rainbow Cake not good enough for you?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
True.

The Moynihan Report was published in 1965- about the time whites began leaving Detroit in earnest.

When one looks at today's Detroit, were they racist or simply making a very rational choice?
What you ignore is the rate that originally sounded the alarm in the 60's is now experienced
by the white population.

What you are essentially wanting me to accept is that an era of liars produced no lies, analogously. In other words, an era of racism was not exemplified by people behaving in racist manners. Ergo...yeah...people were racist then...but white flight away from blacks had little to do with that racism. That is like saying that an IQ of 60 had nothing to do with the person not passing Algebra.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What you ignore is the rate that originally sounded the alarm in the 60's is now experienced
by the white population.

What you are essentially wanting me to accept is that an era of liars produced no lies, analogously. In other words, an era of racism was not exemplified by people behaving in racist manners. Ergo...yeah...people were racist then...but white flight away from blacks had little to do with that racism. That is like saying that an IQ of 60 had nothing to do with the person not passing Algebra.
Well first, thank you for finally responding to one of my posts.

There is truth in what you say.

Whites of a truly racist nature would want very little to do with black folks and would respond accordingly.

The question is, are they fleeing because they think you are inferior (racism) or because they associate you with social disorder (babies out of wedlock, violence, failing schools, etc). One is irrational, the other rational. Neither are pleasant.

As someone who never fled and dealt with the consequences, both good and bad, I can see both sides.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:37 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Here's an idea: why don't you go to a St. Patrick's Day party and have some fun, instead of whining on the internet all day, every day?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
I always enjoy these threads. I look forward to the Native American discusions around Columbus day. Latin American issues for cinco de miyo, the just finished the always exciting black history month.

Once football starts up we get to talk about the Redskins as well.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
But I am white and enjoy Black History Month.

Really, I do. Carver, Washington, Parks, etc were interesting people who did interesting and sometimes heroic things.

Let the record reflect: I Like Black History Month

Kwanzaa? Stupid, but harmless.
I take you at your word.

Kwanzaa is as stupid as every other celebration. And if it's harmless, then why complain about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You may be right on some level, even if it is for the wrong reason.

I deride "Kwanzaa" not because it is a black incarnation, but because it is a made up creation posing as some sort of religious holiday.
I feel the same was about Scientology, and that has nothing to do with black people. If forced to choose between the two I'd pick Kwanzaa to celebrate as there are less loons in my view.

Still, whether it be ebonics or some other half baked idea, these are mere bumps in the road vs. the real ills of blacks in society.
Until PC dies down and we can have adult reasoned discussions on how to fix the ills, blacks have an uphill battle. It can be done, because there are plenty of examples of blacks coming from nothing by pulling up their boot straps to make themselves a success.
However the racial chips some carry around on their shoulders are an impediment to that future.
Last thing first...

I don't really care about having some "reasoned discussion" about fixing any ills. Just do your thing and I'll do mine. All that nonsense about "boot straps" and other babble...well, you can miss me with all that.

Now to the heart of the issue...

Kwanzaa is some "made up creation posing as some religious blah, blah, blah.."

Well since you wanna complain about "PC," I've got news for you...it's ALL made up.

Christmas, Easter, Lent, Ramadan, etc...

Furthermore, the doctrines that inspired that foolishness are all "made up" too.

Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism...you name it. It's all a figment of someone very vivid imagination.

At least Kwanzaa is a wholly black concept since our ancestors didn't come to this country as Christians. We're only Christians because whites imposed it on us to keep us docile as part of their pie in the sky deception. Blacks can have their heaven AFTER they die while white folks were having it right here on Earth.

There isn't a damn thing wrong with Kwanzaa if there's nothing wrong with Rosh Hashanah or Passover. It's all made up.

There. And I made sure to keep it un-PC for you.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Well first, thank you for finally responding to one of my posts.

There is truth in what you say.

Whites of a truly racist nature would want very little to do with black folks and would respond accordingly.

The question is, are they fleeing because they think you are inferior (racism) or because they associate you with social disorder (babies out of wedlock, violence, failing schools, etc). One is irrational, the other rational. Neither are pleasant.

As someone who never fled and dealt with the consequences, both good and bad, I can see both sides.
One Generation drops the bomb on the people then the descendents of the bomb droppers then discriminate against the the lingering impact of radiation upon the descendents of the bombed. Again, every action creates a reaction. Much of the problem with white America is that you refuse to live with the consequences/reaction caused by your antecedents actions. You want the benefits of the past.....but not the liabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies