Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:05 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
I agree. With the condition that they can no longer by a teacher ANYWHERE in the country at public or private school. Or even work with children. And how about no government or taxpayer funded job in the state too. They already lost their job and career. I think this combined with a steep fine and a little community service is enough.

Not surprised to see some self-righteous posters defending up to 20 years in prison for this. You can throw them in jail for a couple days or a week to "send a message" if you want but by losing their job + NEVER teaching again + Steep fine/community service I think is a fair punishment.
Prison time is fitting. However, I think the 20+ years stuff is just the system trying to flex its muscles. I believe revoking their ability to teach again would really send a message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Up to 20 years in prison? Christ, the average rapist goes to jail for 8 years. What the hell is happening to our justice system. Yeah, they should be punished, but 20 years in prison for this?
I agree with this. I think a year and a long probationary period would have been a better punishment.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. I think a year and a long probationary period would have been a better punishment.
And in addition to what you have suggested, no more teaching again. Revoking their ability to teach again will really send a message.

20 years in prison, and the persons involved will eventually become institutionalized. And one thing to consider, 20 years in prison, those teachers might grow old in prison.

Considering that rapists don't even get that long, it is ludicrous.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:34 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
It is not a ridiculous sentence on account of rapists; it is a good sentence for public corruption; what is ridiculous is that (violent) rapists do not get life.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:01 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Good. Those guilt of fraud and theft from the taxpayer should receive long prison sentences.

Racketeering is a trumped charge for teachers who were underpaid and had the challenge of teaching high risk students in areas where funding was cut. The real racketeering were the financial institutions that almost crashed our economy, yet they never went to jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6lwsMQyLA

Old 04-05-2015, 10:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Racketeering is a trumped charge for teachers who were underpaid and had the challenge of teaching high risk students in areas where funding was cut. The real racketeering were the financial institutions that almost crashed our economy, yet they never went to jail.

With salaries ranging from $74K to $140K and "bonus" money of up to $500K I would hardly classify them as "underpaid".

Most were administrative and testing coordinators...not classroom teachers.

Former salaries of convicted APS educators

Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
We had a similar escapade in our school system. The different spin on ours was on the testing days, the "not so smart kids" were dis enrolled for the testing period and then brought back. I don't remember anyone going to jail over it, but a number of principles, assistant principles, administrators at other levels and even the district superintendent were all fired and will never work in education again.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
We had a similar escapade in our school system. The different spin on ours was on the testing days, the "not so smart kids" were dis enrolled for the testing period and then brought back. I don't remember anyone going to jail over it, but a number of principles, assistant principles, administrators at other levels and even the district superintendent were all fired and will never work in education again.
Would this be Beaumont ?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
They are being scapegoated. How would you like your job dependent on whether children from horrid backgrounds learn at the same level as middle class kids? I think they should be punished but 20 years is too much. Frankly I don't think they warrant more than probation and fined that claw back their bonuses.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Oh come on , now.

Don't you realize there are no stupid kids?

If there are any dummies in America, it's all the fault of the public schools, you know. Ask any right winger. Privatization is the answer. Private schools will make the dumb ones smart, the short ones tall, and the dumpy ones attractive.
I agree but the left wingers are the ones with their heads in the sand. They also control the schools. Admittedly the right wing goes a little overboard in their union hating and school choice fetishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies