Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 03:32 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times

Advertisements

You knew it was coming. Trump cronies weakening Dodd-Frank.
Banks will now again be able to start investing their reserves in risky assets.

Here we go. I knew the GOP would kill the recovery. Conservative economics are gone.

We will be bailing them out again.

https://www.regreport.info/2020/06/2...mline-clarify/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 03:37 PM

1,768 posts, read 717,010 times
There are also a lot of negatives with dodd frank.
It hurts small banks more and leads to more "too big to fail" banks.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
There are also a lot of negatives with dodd frank.
It hurts small banks more and leads to more "too big to fail" banks.
To repeat 2006-08 is not the way to fix it.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:43 PM

295 posts, read 143,747 times
hopefully davis bacon act will be next

Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
please explain in your own words the mechanisms of what this does. thank you. I don't know what "covered funds" is truly, nor do I know what thee foreign investments piece means. I do know it included this:
Quote:
Permitting banking entities to offer financial services and engage in other activities that do not raise concerns that the Volcker rule was intended to address.
which - oversimplifying I'm sure - the Volcker Rule started out as "these activities played a big role in the 2008 Financial Collapse, so you can't do anything like that again!!" and since then it has been tweaked (and in fact had exceptions even back then). And this is a tweak.

Heck, with a little more googling, that's what Yahoo!Finance even called it - tweaks
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/feder...150332315.html

Old 06-26-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
please explain in your own words the mechanisms of what this does. thank you. I don't know what "covered funds" is truly, nor do I know what thee foreign investments piece means. I do know it included this:

which - oversimplifying I'm sure - the Volcker Rule started out as "these activities played a big role in the 2008 Financial Collapse, so you can't do anything like that again!!" and since then it has been tweaked (and in fact had exceptions even back then). And this is a tweak.

Heck, with a little more googling, that's what Yahoo!Finance even called it - tweaks
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/feder...150332315.html
The Trump administration has been weakening Dodd-Frank all along.
Each "tweak" weakens the banking regulation's which stabilized our economy.
That is the GOP way.

Today we have a guy in the WH who knows debt and bankruptcy.
It is showing as debt is forcing treasury to create more bonds of different length's. The credit crisis, which started in late 2019, is part of the damage Trump has done to our economy. That crisis created QE 4 when the Fed. went into the over night markets in Nov. 2019.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Dood Frank? LOL, I love it!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:10 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The Trump administration has been weakening Dodd-Frank all along.
Each "tweak" weakens the banking regulation's which stabilized our economy.
That is the GOP way.

Today we have a guy in the WH who knows debt and bankruptcy.
It is showing as debt is forcing treasury to create more bonds of different length's. The credit crisis, which started in late 2019, is part of the damage Trump has done to our economy. That crisis created QE 4 when the Fed. went into the over night markets in Nov. 2019.
I was looking for an explanation of what these specific measures would do, what practices they would allow the banks to now engage in. and thus, a discussion of whether they were reasonable or unreasonable.

Financial deregulation allowed Banks to enter into financial instruments which they had no business doing. We found out in 2008. I would suggest that ....

"Too big to fail" be completely stricken as a solution. It's anti-capitalist, and it allows/allowed Banks to undergo risks which are outside what function "Banks" are supposed to serve.

Banks shouldn't be involved in financial Credit Default Swaps. The credit markets failed because bad mortgages were made, the risks fraudulently hidden, and the financial instruments that were many multiples of the actual mortgages (ie, "bets") were NOT insured as they were claimed to be.

The Banks and "the rich" all have knowledge at their fingertips to mitigate or at least balance risk, if they choose to.

There are 2 ways to gamble:

1. Bookies try and get equal money betting on a game - those in favor of an outcome, and those who believe the opposite. And if they're right, then the Bookie earns 10% at no risk (except collection I suppose).

2. Insurance - the odds of something occurring are run through an actuarial table and the risk is taken off the insured's obligations. Your $1MM, 20 year term life insurance neither COSTS you $1MM in premiums over 20 years, nor dos the insurance company pay out $1MM on every policy.

In the CD markets, neither of the above happened. Thus, it was your classic house of cards, or perhaps more accurately, Ponzi scheme.

You'll note I never mentioned any party. It's not a partisan issue, and thus no need for you to make it so. When the pendulum swings, it always swings way to the other side. There are many measures in D-F that went too far, and so they get adjusted.

Is this one that got adjusted, or is it something that shouldn't be done?

Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You knew it was coming. Trump cronies weakening Dodd-Frank.
Banks will now again be able to start investing their reserves in risky assets.

Here we go. I knew the GOP would kill the recovery. Conservative economics are gone.

We will be bailing them out again.

https://www.regreport.info/2020/06/2...mline-clarify/
You need to explain how that is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies