Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 02:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What bothers me is parents who pass out birth control to their teenage kids. IMO, it's like giving one a license to drive when they aren't even old enough to do so. I think it encourages promiscuity and immoral behavior among them. What kind of a message are these parents sending to their kids to have sex but just don't get caught with the consequences.
You don't like parents who teach children to be smart about sex? Why? What you think birth control promotes and what it actually does are two different things.

The message it sends to kids is to be smart about sex and birth control should be an important part of sex, even if the teen isn't having sex. Heck, it makes sense to have teen boys using condoms for solo activities so that they get use to using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:24 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Don't push abstinence-only on others. If you want your children getting pregnant as teens, fine for you but don't impose your personal failed ideologies on others.

Republican ‘Abstinence-Only’ Crusader’s 17-Year-Old Daughter Is Pregnant

Addicting Info – Republican ‘Abstinence-Only’ Crusader’s 17-Year-Old Daughter Is Pregnant
Imagine that.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
What bothers me is parents who pass out birth control to their teenage kids. IMO, it's like giving one a license to drive when they aren't even old enough to do so. I think it encourages promiscuity and immoral behavior among them. What kind of a message are these parents sending to their kids to have sex but just don't get caught with the consequences.
The message is: "We as a family do not have to live in denial and lies." "Be safe."

Old 04-07-2015, 02:35 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The message is: "We as a family do not have to live in denial and lies." "Be safe."
No, the message is: "We parents are condoning teenage sex by giving them the means to have it and not pay the consequences".

Old 04-07-2015, 02:43 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
No, the message is: "We parents are condoning teenage sex by giving them the means to have it and not pay the consequences".
Imagine there's no consequences;

It's easy if you try;

. . .

Nothing to kill or abort for;

. . . .

Imagine all the orphans . . .

I forgot the rest.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:00 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Not giving kids information and prevention methods is like putting their kid behind the wheel with no seat belts and no brakes.

Teens are more than likely going to have sex. That is just a reality.
Teaching them to protect themselves and giving them the means to do so, helps them to be prepared when it happens. This does not mean tossing them some birth control and saying go at it. It is part of education about their body, biology, STDs, pregnancy, relationships, and how to deal with being pressured to do something that they may not be ready for.

You don't just hand a teen a car and say go at it. You educate them on defensive driving, the rules of the road, safety, drunk driving, basic maintenance, not to pick up hitchhikers etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes removing sex education funding sounds so great. Add in homeless youngsters with kids out in the streets. Yup great plan! If you have no concept of the actual results that is.
Beyond "put a condom on", what else needs to be taught that will prevent disease and pregnancy?

Btw, if a minor girl is going to go on the pill, her parents should be aware of this.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
My kids would not be so retarded that they would need me to tell them that protection is a good idea. I'm sure they will have a fairly good idea of how it works by that time, and a good enough head on their shoulders to do the right thing. So I won't, as doing so would be a clear signal that I expect them to engage in sex.

And no, not all kids have sex http://www.guttmacher.org/graphics/T...vity-Graph.gif I will assume that mine will be one of the good half who don't until they are 18.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:09 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Beyond "put a condom on", what else needs to be taught that will prevent disease and pregnancy?

Btw, if a minor girl is going to go on the pill, her parents should be aware of this.
That should be up to her . You would also be amazed what a very open and positive view about sexual health will do for your teens desire to delay.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Glad I was wanted and planned for instead of being a form of punishment, a dreaded consequence for bad behavior. Just sayin'..........

How sad it must be to know you started out in life as an unwanted burden, a punishment, instead of a welcomed addition to a family.

What does it say about someone who thinks it is a good idea to use a child as a form of punishment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies