Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 07:14 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

Apparently the Charleston police officer has been arrested and charged with murder. He will still get a trial, but this looks about as bad as it can be, especially with the local police moving so rapidly to arrest him and the Charleston DA moving so rapidly to indict him for murder.

I am glad to see that justice is being carried out as efficiently as it appears to be. An investigation should be carried out at once, with full transparency. If the cop is found to have behaved wrongly, which from the video it certainly appears that he did, then he should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

But what some of you may want to try here for a change is waiting for the facts to be revealed before jumping to a final conclusion, as many of you did with both the George Zimmerman and Darren Wilson investigations, much to your eternal shame and embarrassment.

Save yourself the humiliation of making the same error three times in a row. The press is not a reliable source of information for this sort of incident, as surely you must be aware by now. Hold your horses and refrain from joining in the leftist lynch mob this time around, unless you are a knee jerk racist who does not care about the facts and who is just eager to tear into a white police officer whenever you get the chance.

Also, hopefully the race hucksters and the media will allow this process to be carried out without trying to exacerbate the situation and make it worse, in order to exploit it for their own financial advantage, as they did with the George Zimmerman and Darren Wilson incidents.

However, at least this time, it appears that the allegations are certainly not without merit, so that is a relief in any case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 07:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
The other problem is the media. Far too often they are quick to paint a perp in the worst light possible to try and sway public perception when a cop shoots an unarmed Black man.

Without this video people would be quick to say the cop was justified because of the victims past.

Now that the video is out the lawyer has run for the hills and the whole story has flipped.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:30 AM

15,633 posts, read 10,390,278 times
It is very scary that men like Officer Slager are allowed to be police officers. I am glad this cold blooded murder was filmed, the shooting in the back of a fleeing Scott, and Slager will be prosecuted for his vicious crime.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
I was just wondering what in the hell was going through that cops mind at the time he pulled the trigger, he had to know he was wrong.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
I haven't read all of the posts, so I apologize if I'm re-posting someone's opinion.

I have a great idea that would stop all of this. Why not have all the white cops only work in white areas and all the black cops can work in the black areas. I realize this is most likely impossible to do, but something needs to be done.
because cops have to generate income and have a certain number of arrest or convictions to justify their income/job.

..and arresting a larger % of whites would certainly ruffle a few feathers. Imagine if the war on crime was extended to the suburbs and prescription abuse in wealthy areas.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I was just wondering what in the hell was going through that cops mind at the time he pulled the trigger, he had to know he was wrong.
Or what was going thru his head after he pulled the trigger and walked over to the dead body and placed his taser next to him. Looks like the cop was clearly trying to get the ball running on setting up his own narrative of the shooting.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
The guy running away did NOT present an immediate danger to the cop or anyone else.

This cop needs to go to prison.

That being said, this is not proof that most cops are like this. There are always going to be bad eggs.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It's too bad that police training didn't include the fact that killing someone over a broken tail light is not the correct thing to do.

I saw the video this morning. To me, it looked like the cop thought he was in a video game or something...taking his time to aim and shoot. Very cold.

Is that how cops are 'trained'? To hit center mass? Are they trained to forget that that center mass is actually a person and not some abstract idea?

And supposedly, there were TWO cops there? Where they 500-pound chubsters who couldn't run and catch the guy?

Disgusting.
Why do they even need to run and catch the guy? They got his car, even if not his they've got his description and can bolo this clown while watching him run away.

All of this "I was afraid for my life crap" wouldn't fly anywhere else in the civilized world to justify deadly force when anyone with a scintilla of reasoning could opine it taking only a heartbeat before it would be taken advantage of by less than optimum policing agents to justify shooting first and asking later behaviour.

Now all this has done is give credence to every minority group claiming they ran in fear of their life and getting shot by a racist, low I/Q dumb-azz cop.

How long before some lawyer of reputation postulates a "precedent setting" defense based upon all these cases of cop shootings gone awry?

"My client was justified in evading detention or questioning in a valid fear for his very life based upon the tendency for retarded cops to shoot people dead over things like a busted tail light lens."

Old 04-08-2015, 07:52 AM

14,475 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The guy running away did NOT present an immediate danger to the cop or anyone else.
This cop needs to go to prison.
Good for you. The distance between the two was very unlikely for the citizen to accurately aim and shoot the cop with the taser. As the CNN video shows the cops dropped the taser down beside the dead man trying to match the defense the cop has which is that the citizen had his taser.

Did it really take 8 bullets, one or more of which were the fatal shots to bring this man to the ground?
We think not. Shoot to stop in this case of an unarmed man.

Also the man left his car behind. Did that cop actually think they would never catch the guy even if no shots were fired?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 AM

698 posts, read 587,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
My prediction: cop is charged and convicted of 2nd degree manslaughter. Sentenced to 5-10 years. Out in 3. Gets job as security guard at Wal-mart (not allowed a firearm).
Probably a pretty good guess, I bet he gets to keep his pension too in some type of plea deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies