Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Are bullies going to jail? If so, then the movement is being taken way to seriously. But I don't think that's happening.
I think they actually are in some cases. Either way, a lot of people would like to see children as young as 12 tried as adults and put in adult jail, which I find ridiculous. They're basically saying they hope they get raped and beaten because they "deserve" it for stupid childhood BS they'll probably grow out of in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:59 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think they actually are in some cases. Either way, a lot of people would like to see children as young as 12 tried as adults and put in adult jail, which I find ridiculous. They're basically saying they hope they get raped and beaten because they "deserve" it for stupid childhood BS they'll probably grow out of in a few years.
I don't think a lot of people want to see that at all.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Quote:
What are the charges when they go to jail? Rape and assault, or name calling? Rape and assault should always land you in jail, regardless of if you call it bullying or not.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
What possible evidence do you have that 12 year olds who have raped, assaulted, attempted to kill someone, will 'grow out of it' in a few years?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:08 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Correct me if I am wrong (of course), but I think "jail" (and in most cases, this means detention in a youth facility) is reserved for those cases in which actual physical injury or death has occurred -- NOT for "simple" name-calling or teasing, for which I agree that an in-school suspensions is in order.

And for the record, I don't think the "anti-bullying" movement is "faddish" but something that needs to be consistently enforced. In fact, on another current thread (Education) the subject is TEACHERS who tease a special needs student. What kind of example does that set for students?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
What possible evidence do you have that 12 year olds who have raped, assaulted, attempted to kill someone, will 'grow out of it' in a few years?
I was referring to bullying, but no children should not be tried as adults, their brains are not the same as adults so it isn't fair. Only America and other uncivilized countries try children as adults.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I was referring to bullying, but no children should not be tried as adults, their brains are not the same as adults so it isn't fair. Only America and other uncivilized countries try children as adults.
non violent bullies aren't going to jail, they are simply expelled.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
They deserved to be brutalized by adults, you are saying? That's ridiculous.
Hysterics and hyperbole are never a good thing. Where did anyone say "bullies deserved to be brutalized by adults"?

Quote:
I'm just saying they should be treated with a bit of compassion because of their immaturity, not treated like hardened sociopaths, that's all. They should be punished, but with suspension and expulsion, not like an adult would be.
Where is your link for a common school bully being sent to prison or even adult jail?

Quote:
Please quote your sources that a lot of people want 12 year old bullies in adult jail.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:17 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
But what landed them in jail? Name calling? Cyber bullying? Throwing a rock at a kid? If it was those, then that's excessive. But if they beat a kid to the point of nearly dying or actually dying... that's a crime.

Now, you do raise an important question that we still don't quite know how to answer: should a kid be tried as an adult? The problem here is that kids (or more accurately, minors) don't have the same rights as adults. In fact, they hardly have rights at all. With the exception of child endangerment laws and such, a minor is more or less property to their parents until they're 18 when they become full citizens. And while some cases, obviously a kid shouldn't be tried as an adult, but what if the kid killed someone. While they may grow out of it, we can't do nothing about a situation like that.

Also, kids aren't being sent to maximum security prisons. They go to juvenile detentions. Unless I missed a case where that didn't happen, which is possible.

Bullying shouldn't be a crime though. But there is a line that can be crossed that we need to be watchful for.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
But what landed them in jail? Name calling? Cyber bullying? Throwing a rock at a kid? If it was those, then that's excessive. But if they beat a kid to the point of nearly dying or actually dying... that's a crime.

Now, you do raise an important question that we still don't quite know how to answer: should a kid be tried as an adult? The problem here is that kids (or more accurately, minors) don't have the same rights as adults. In fact, they hardly have rights at all. With the exception of child endangerment laws and such, a minor is more or less property to their parents until they're 18 when they become full citizens. And while some cases, obviously a kid shouldn't be tried as an adult, but what if the kid killed someone. While they may grow out of it, we can't do nothing about a situation like that.

Also, kids aren't being sent to maximum security prisons. They go to juvenile detentions. Unless I missed a case where that didn't happen, which is possible.

Bullying shouldn't be a crime though. But there is a line that can be crossed that we need to be watchful for.
Yes, I think it's hypocritical that a kid doesn't have any adult rights yet people think they should have adult punishments. Like they aren't old enough to drink alcohol yet apparently they can handle a lifetime in prison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies