Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is A.D.D. a real medical condition that people have or just another way for doctors to prescribe poi
Yes 61 56.48%
No 47 43.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:22 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times

Advertisements

Is attention deficit disorder a genuine condition or just something made up by doctors and drug companies to make more money? Do you know people with? It seems to me like it is just someone having anxiety which is quite normal in this day and age. Anything to keep wall st profits high i guess.

Is there a correlation of illicit drug and alcohol abuse and this diagnosis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,389,369 times
I believe it is real.

I don't see any reason to politicize it.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I believe it is real.

I don't see any reason to politicize it.
Is there any proof that it is real?

Old 04-05-2015, 12:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
ADD and ADHD are real disorders. there are many people that suffer from these disorders. however they are disorders that are over diagnosed. for a time there were many children that were being children that were misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ADD and ADHD are real disorders. there are many people that suffer from these disorders. however they are disorders that are over diagnosed. for a time there were many children that were being children that were misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD.
Yep.

No one can just accept their kid is just stupid anymore so they will get some other diagnosis.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,374,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Is attention deficit disorder a genuine condition or just something made up by doctors and drug companies to make more money? Do you know people with? It seems to me like it is just someone having anxiety which is quite normal in this day and age. Anything to keep wall st profits high i guess.

Is there a correlation of illicit drug and alcohol abuse and this diagnosis?

ASS/ADHD is a true condition and has been researched of many decades. My oldest was diagnosed when he was 4..I recognized some symptoms and had him assessed and he was started on medication (Ritalin) which really helped..But what helped more was the counciling (Not just for him but myself)..then of course how you treat your child makes a whole lot of difference in the end. Even the teachers and schools have to be involved...Luckily it worked out in the end and now my son is almost 39..and has managed to do well as an employee, socially and has a family.

How your child ADD/ADHD evolves into an adult really depends on how well he was treated as a child. Symptoms and degree of the symptoms vary...But the one thing that is constant ..Their brain/thinking activity goes too fast and unable to verbalize it. Their physical activity often mirrors that confusion un-restrained..My Brother (a Board of Education Councillor who worked with these kids) explained it to me to keep it kinda simple...The brain activity is moving too fast however the circuit is not smooth but disjointed. Medication is to enable Smooth circuit connections. Thinking becomes less confusing. The activity needs to be met and channelled into positive behaviour.

My particular way of handling the activity was to involve him in sports..Initially Karate then into soccer (3 leagues per year), roller skating ( which he still does). The reasoning behind that is to get positive feedback from his activities (which bolsters his ego) especially because prior much of his feedback was negative from his peers and adult (teachers) encounters. All in all for myself, I am grateful that it all worked out) He grew up understanding and has full awareness of how to handle it without medication now

I understand your skepticism, but I can reassure you it's not. However, medications is only part of the treatment. If this is regarding one of your own, please know there is a whole lot of information and people who can help you with this. I can only wish the best for you and yours Long bumpy road for sure, but smooth paved highway afterwards

Attention deficit disorder is not just a problem in children. If you were diagnosed with childhood ADD/ADHD, chances are, you’ve carried at least some of the symptoms into adulthood. But even if you were never diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a child, that doesn’t mean you can’t be affected by it as an adult.

^^^^^^snippet BBM~ ^^^^^
Adult ADD / ADHD: Signs, Symptoms, Effects, and Treatment

Old 04-05-2015, 12:31 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Yeah it's real. If you've ever seen a kid with ADD you wouldn't waste time publishing this poll.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yeah it's real. If you've ever seen a kid with ADD you wouldn't waste time publishing this poll.
When most people think of ADD they think of hyperactive kids bouncing off the walls and unable to sit still. Unfortunately, there are many kids with "inattentive ADD" that go under the radar. These are kids that are extremely well behaved, and sit at their desk quietly, but they tend to constantly daydream rather than focus on the task. Often they'll be very good at creative things like art, and even science, but unable to grasp math.

As for the OP's question, there are many things that can't be seen under a microscope or X-ray. There's still lots of things about the human body that we don't understand.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:51 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Is it real? Yes. Is it something which requires chemical cocktails in order to treat? Not always. Myself, as well as others that I know, have managed to avoid medication for diagnosed ADD by learning to modify our behavior. In some cases, however, medicine seems to be a workable solution.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:27 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
ADD is very real.
One of my sons and my brother both are afflicted. My bro has never been treated, while my son was diagnosed when he was 8, and began getting therapy, some special ed help, and went on ritalin.

He was atypical; he didn't have to get up and wander around the classroom like most diagnosed kids do; the need to expend energy seems to be very common. While my boy was never disruptive in class, the exam showed his mind could not stay on track when working on a problem for more than 4 seconds before wandering. At the end of the 3rd grade, he was still completely illiterate and could not spell at all. He could do no basic math, and suffered some mild dyslexia.

His ritalin dosage needed constant tinkering at first, but shortly, a time-release ritalin tablet was available, and that worked extremely well for him. After repeating the 3rd grade, he was literate at his grade level, could write legibly, but spelled poorly, and was able to do grade level math. He went on to graduate High School, and then on to a 3-year tech school, where he graduated.
Reading is not a favorite activity, but he reads with full comprehension, and can spell at a slightly below average ability. Je has never been unemployed after graduating tech school over 10 years ago.

My brother is typical ADD. He cannot keep still for more than 20 minutes, has a very hard time staying on track in anything, and tends to repeat important things over and over before he can move on to other important things, spells poorly using only phonics, and mispronounces words that are very common. He becomes obsessive about some things, and some times in the past has self-medicated with pot and other drugs. Not so much now, as he's in his late 60s.

Both are extremely intelligent. When either learns something clearly, neither ever forgets and both are able to use what they learn very effectively. My son is now in his 40s, and still keeps some ritalin on hand, but seldom needs it much. The early treatment really helped him as he matured into adulthood. He does the best with very physical work, but can do desk work enough to keep his department operating, and is a very reliable employee, as work is partly therapy for him.

My brother also prefers physical work. He can't do any desk work well, and his attention span is so short he was never able to learn how to operate a computer, so he's at a real disadvantage these days. While he's very good at creating short-term planning, he needs someone to write down his plans or he forgets them or jumbles them up. At times, his disability has caused my brother some extreme financial difficulties and many personal crises. These have given him a streak of paranoia that pops up in moments of stress, and the paranoia seems to accurate his ADD behavior.

Both have had difficult private lives due to their ADD. Both are compulsive collectors of odd stuff, and one is compulsively tidy while the other is unable to ever be tidy in any way. While they seldom see each other, both get along with each other very well and have a kind of shorthand understanding they share in common with only each other.

As JimRom said, not all ADD requires medication. There are many shades to the syndrome; it ranges from mild to severe. Both my kin are in the middle of the range. My bro was examined far too late for treatment to have much effect, but after he got some psychological therapy, it really helped him. My son, who began treatment young, has led a far more stable life. Age does seem to lessen the severity to a degree with both of them.

I'm completely different. I have never been unable to concentrate for extended periods of time, and I prefer work that demands long and steady concentration. I've always been as patient as a rock, and learned how to read and write before I entered grade school. I have no idea as to where or why ADD runs in my family, but it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies