Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Because I think drugs has far more tentacles of addiction and variations.
And mind altering effects.
People crave and want it more in a bad way.
How old are you really? 17? 19?

You seem awfully wet behind the ears. I've conversed with 13 year olds who have a more nuanced and subtle understanding of the War on Drugs, how the various molecules act, and what Harm Reduction is.

Sorry, but the above sentences just smack of utter ignorance and crass simple-mindedness. You feel like "drugs" are the boogeyman, the devil. You know very little about any of this.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

463 posts, read 320,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I've conversed with 13 year olds who have a more nuanced and subtle understanding of the War on Drugs, how the various molecules act, and what Harm Reduction is.
"Harm reduction" is a great term.

About 40 years ago, when Nixon or Reagan or somebody got fed up with prohibition of pot not working, they decided to put their foot down. The line of reasoning was something along the lines of "Ok, lets just make the penalties against using it so harsh, so draconian, that no one would dare touch the stuff".

Maximize the harm, in other words.

What is the result of maximized harm?

Well, while notmeofficer is crying and taking Marinol pills about some murders in central America, on the very same day thousands of Americans lost their freedom, their kids, and their livelihood, many of them being young adults who will now never get a fair chance in life, all because of a cannabis conviction.

And, while notmeofficer is crying about a poor unlucky family that lost their living space yesterday because some idiot was trying to cook up some "honey oil", as he calls it, and blew up the house, on the very same day hundreds of Americans lost their house entirely to forfeiture laws, all because of a cannabis conviction.

These are just two of many examples of what a policy of maximized harm does to American citizens, with the vast majority of them deserving little or no punishment at all.

Now here we are 40 years later, with prohibition being no more successful than it was back then, but we have had to suffer through 40 years of maximized harm. So these days, if a kid gets caught with some alcohol, he gets punished and life goes on. With maximized harm, if a kid gets caught with a joint his life gets ruined.

I swear, if an alien landed here and objectively assessed the situation, he would declare us too insane for our admission to The Universe, climb back into his spaceship, and not try Earth again for 1000 years...

Last edited by Vistaian; 04-14-2015 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I invite mj proponents who hold up Colorado as their bastion of success to look at the on going and current article... clearing the haze... in the Colorado gazette

Clearing the Haze | A perspective series by The Gazette

If you failed to read posts proponents use about MJ success in COlorado... well.. oplease go read.. it is regularly..along with Washington touted as success in the realm of marijuanadom

Some excerpts

"... The ugly truth is that Colorado was suckered. It was promised regulation and has been met by an industry that fights tooth and nail any restrictions that limit its profitability. ”

- Ben Cort, Director of Professional Relations for the Center
for Addiction Recovery and Rehabilitation at the University of Colorado Hospital

Results of the investigation
There are also numerous and growing reports of unintended consequences of legalization, including more arrests for driving under the influence, lawsuits against the state, manufacturing hazards, the impact on resources for the homeless and a growing concern over exposure and availability to children.

The addiction
Mobile Weather

And the marijuana industry
“It’s like inviting Philip Morris executives to help us learn how to use tobacco and develop our next anti-smoking campaign.” - Jo McGuire, Colorado Springs consultant specializing in helping employers maintain drug-free workplace policies and a member of the National Board of the Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Association

What does that have to do with violence in South America?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
How old are you really? 17? 19?

You seem awfully wet behind the ears. I've conversed with 13 year olds who have a more nuanced and subtle understanding of the War on Drugs, how the various molecules act, and what Harm Reduction is.

Sorry, but the above sentences just smack of utter ignorance and crass simple-mindedness. You feel like "drugs" are the boogeyman, the devil. You know very little about any of this.

Who are you to say what I know?

The portrayed arrogance is something else

Old 04-14-2015, 09:21 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
You think drugs (we're talking about marijuana) have "far more tentacles of addiction" than tobacco and wine?

That is obviously not true, tobacco and alcohol have been proven to be far more addictive than pot. This is old news, many decades old. The research is closed, like your mind.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
"... The ugly truth is that Colorado was suckered. It was promised regulation and has been met by an industry that fights tooth and nail any restrictions that limit its profitability. ”
Well, of course! You name an industry that does not complain when government regulations threatens to cut into their profitability. That is just standard Business 101. Why is it when the cannabis industry does it, it is called out as some sort of offense?

Believe me, the cannabis industry in Colorado is very highly regulated, just like the state said it would be. Each plant is separately barcoded, for heavens sake!

What they are fighting is the relaxation of a restriction, not new restrictions. When the regulations were first put into place, they restricted who could own/operate a cannabis related business. They didn't want a free-for-all, so only existing Colorado-based medical cannabis businesses could expand into the new retail market. The government basically gave them a monopoly, in other words. But now that the government wants to loosen that restriction and allow outsiders to own and operate cannabis related businesses, of course they are going to protest. Any business in any industry would, don't you agree?

Quote:

There are also numerous and growing reports of unintended consequences of legalization, including more arrests for driving under the influence, lawsuits against the state, manufacturing hazards, the impact on resources for the homeless and a growing concern over exposure and availability to children.
That is almost entirely propaganda, like most of the stuff you like to spout. But I know you ALWAYS believe anything you read that appears to prop up your position, and ALWAYS ignore first-hand information from people who are actually here, since it in no way props up your position.

The only parts of that which are true are lawsuits against the state (very likely to get dropped), and the homeless population problem in the Denver area. But even that problem is temporary, because as more states come to their senses and legalize, then Denver won't be the only place to flock to.

By the way, Denver is enjoying the biggest economic and growth boom in its history.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
You think drugs (we're talking about marijuana) have "far more tentacles of addiction" than tobacco and wine?

That is obviously not true, tobacco and alcohol have been proven to be far more addictive than pot. This is old news, many decades old. The research is closed, like your mind.
The lack of a mature back and forth conversation shows your lack of level of social marturity.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:58 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Who are you to say what I know?
Well, let's see, I'm a person reading what you write on a message board. You're displaying what you [don't] know for all to see, aren't you?

Let's go back.
Quote:
Put people in the business of selling pot, Drug Cartels are going to up their anti.
You mean "ante." So you think a regulated, legal domestic marketplace for cannabis would lead to the cartels doing what? What do you mean here? A price war? Stronger strains? Attacks on US dispensaries?

Someone responded to you by asking why there are no brutal black markets in tobacco or wine. You responded thusly:
Quote:
I mean, what does that even mean?? Do you think cannabis is more addictive than tobacco or alcohol? Why are you using the term "tentacles?" And "variations?" What does any of that have to do with the lack of any thriving cartel activity and violence around tobacco or alcohol?

It reads a bit like propaganda. Sensationalism.
Quote:
Now we're talking neuropharmacology all of a sudden? What has that got to do with the economics of it? With cutting off the black market? With a regulated legal marketplace?
Quote:
They want it more in a bad way. They want it more in a bad way. They want it more in a bad way.

Sorry, that last bit just lacks any intellectual rigor at all.

----------------------------------------------------

Okay then. Let's eliminate the free marketplace from our thinking for a moment. Let's do a thought experiment. Let's go a different direction, and assume cannabis legalization is not the answer and would lead to expansion of illegal marketing of other molecules, and talk about alternatives. I invite you to read this: Why the government needs to sell drugs
Quote:
Marijuana legalization is merely a pathetic stopgap measure — not a solution — to the most devastating consequences of the War on Drugs. This war is culpable for high rates of drug abuse, prison overcrowding, misappropriation of law enforcement’s focus, a sizeable chunk of gang-related activity and much of the violence at the U.S.-Mexico border. These are not just exciting plot points in “Breaking Bad.” These problems degrade many aspects of American society. Only once the federal government legalizes all drugs will there be a chance to mitigate, and eventually eliminate, these consequences.
Quote:
Despite legalizing all drugs, the system proposed here still bans recreational drugs from free market exchange. The only way to purchase a teener of coke or a sheet of acid will be at the local county Federal Recreational Users Dispensary (FRUD), which will be administered by the DEA. All drugs sold will be fabricated by government chemists and engineers and tested by the FDA. Doses will have to meet certain purity and health standards, just like pharmaceutical drugs do today.
What do you think of that??

Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM

Ok, I just have to post this. My reputation just hit "420"!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM

506 posts, read 426,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What does that have to do with violence in South America?
Anybody worried about violence in South America should be advocating for freedom by demanding the full legalization of all drugs in every nation in South America and North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies