Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times

Advertisements

SJWs are an anti-male hate group who are causing major problems for the left and liberals, and who may be hurting the left more than Glenn Beck, Fox News, the Koch Brothers, the Tea Party, and the right wing netroots combined several times over. They are a plague on our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:21 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
SJWs are an anti-male hate group who are causing major problems for the left and liberals, and who may be hurting the left more than Glenn Beck, Fox News, the Koch Brothers, the Tea Party, and the right wing netroots combined several times over. They are a plague on our society.
This is problem with the media it does not represent us.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Too long, didn't read.
It's never impressive or funny when someone says that. You may as well have stated, "I wish to remain an ignorant fool by never reading anything that is longer than two sentences." And no, I never buy it when someone comes back with, "I was joking about that." No.

(And to beat you to the punch, I already know "tl;dr" to my comment about it, doesn't make you any more impressive or funny.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Another example is when Will Wheaton made a comment about liking "spirit animals" and was attacked by a bunch of white people attacking him for "stealing" Native American culture. He said that he merely liked the idea and didn't mean to cause offense and even used examples of oppression Native Americans have faced and that reaction had the same reaction as bleeding in front of sharks. They went at him harder because he wasn't ignorant of Native American history.

They are awful, immature people and they are starting cross into real-life.
The only thing I disagree with you about on this topic is your words, "starting to". They are not just starting, they've been.

And for the one who said that they don't like the sweeping generalization that people have others think for them, (paraphrased), I seriously implore people to spend a good day, maybe two, reading nothing but comments on social media and YouTube...where the young people hang out. Then come back and say that you don't agree that it happens on a large scale.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 PM

428 posts, read 344,537 times
So is this Social Justice Warrior business mostly a chick thing?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Yes, the whole social justice thing can be taken to absurd lengths. But it also does produce some much-needed changes as well. What's better: dealing with occasional overreach or not having any meaningful social rights for people other than white Euro males? Because the latter is what we'd have if conservatives were always in charge.

If social conservatives led this country throughout its history, women would still not be voting, blacks would still be treated like cattle, gays would still be mistreated at whim, and kids would still be working mines. You can bank on that. To this day, it is still a struggle for them to get their act together to fully and consistently admit that these various kinds of minorities should be treated fairly. Everyone who spends an afternoon on this forum should see that.

I'd rather risk being associated with social justice overreach than as an opponent to social justice.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 PM

428 posts, read 344,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, the whole social justice thing can be taken to absurd lengths. But it also does produce some much-needed changes add well. What's better: dealing with occasional overreach or not having any meaningful social rights for people other than white Euro males? Because the latter is what we'd have if conservatives were always in charge. If social conservatives led this country throughout its history, women would still not be voting, blacks would still be treated like cattle, gays would still be mistreated at whim, and kids would still be working mines.
OK, so it's a chick thing.

It's a shame how well it's taken in universities, but I can't say they are the bastions of learning, outside of STEM perhaps, that they used to be.

It sure would be nice if alternative systems for liberal arts education sprang up.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The only thing I disagree with you about on this topic is your words, "starting to". They are not just starting, they've been.

And for the one who said that they don't like the sweeping generalization that people have others think for them, (paraphrased), I seriously implore people to spend a good day, maybe two, reading nothing but comments on social media and YouTube...where the young people hang out. Then come back and say that you don't agree that it happens on a large scale.
Well, they are most prominent on social media and online communities. I more meant that we are starting to see them branch out more into real life rather than their cyber hug boxes and I find it worrisome for what it means for education, intellectual inquiry, and even free society as a whole.

They also tend to destroy all they touch. Like I remember when the website Cracked used to be funny. Then it started to transform into Gawker style clickbait and eventually went full SJW. Most of the good writers have gone onto other things and now they have bunch of smug 20 something and 30 something writers coming up with articles like "10 Reasons Why George Zimmerman is Worse Than Adolf Hitler" or "12 Reasons Why ISIS is Better Than Rand Paul" that is when they aren't doing articles like ""17 Horrifyingly Terrifying Truths About Paper Plates".

But there are more important things than turning what was once a somewhat funny website into a painfully unfunny one. I mentioned how there are law students refusing to be taught sexual assault law because they find the subject too "triggering". I can think of countless reasons why this is a bad thing for the law. How can you be a competent lawyer (either defense or the prosecution) if there is a whole subject of law that you refuse to even listen to? They are also trying to push into the STEM fields as well. They have already polluted much of the social sciences, but they want to rewrite the "sexist" parts of mathematics and completely attribute the sexual dimorphism between men and women as the result of cultural factors.

I used to laugh when conservatives would call every little change a threat to civilization, but I am starting to think there is some truth to that. How could a nation reach explore space when you have people who are more concerned about what a scientist is wearing rather than his achievements or complain about the "rape symbolism" of a rocket leaving the atmosphere? How can you serious examine diseases that effect men and women differently when you deliberate want ignore that men and women have different bone structures, hormone levels, neurological pathways, and genitals?

If these people really got a free hand I could see a Cultural Revolution or even a Khmer Rouge Killing Fields type of situation taking place.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
OK, so it's a chick thing.

It's a shame how well it's taken in universities, but I can't say they are the bastions of learning, outside of STEM perhaps, that they used to be.

It sure would be nice if alternative systems for liberal arts education sprang up.
Sounds like with you it is an ignorance thing. You enjoy that.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Well, they are most prominent on social media and online communities. I more meant that we are starting to see them branch out more into real life rather than their cyber hug boxes and I find it worrisome for what it means for education, intellectual inquiry, and even free society as a whole.

They also tend to destroy all they touch. Like I remember when the website Cracked used to be funny. Then it started to transform into Gawker style clickbait and eventually went full SJW. Most of the good writers have gone onto other things and now they have bunch of smug 20 something and 30 something writers coming up with articles like "10 Reasons Why George Zimmerman is Worse Than Adolf Hitler" or "12 Reasons Why ISIS is Better Than Rand Paul" that is when they aren't doing articles like ""17 Horrifyingly Terrifying Truths About Paper Plates".

But there are more important things than turning what was once a somewhat funny website into a painfully unfunny one. I mentioned how there are law students refusing to be taught sexual assault law because they find the subject too "triggering". I can think of countless reasons why this is a bad thing for the law. How can you be a competent lawyer (either defense or the prosecution) if there is a whole subject of law that you refuse to even listen to? They are also trying to push into the STEM fields as well. They have already polluted much of the social sciences, but they want to rewrite the "sexist" parts of mathematics and completely attribute the sexual dimorphism between men and women as the result of cultural factors.

I used to laugh when conservatives would call every little change a threat to civilization, but I am starting to think there is some truth to that. How could a nation reach explore space when you have people who are more concerned about what a scientist is wearing rather than his achievements or complain about the "rape symbolism" of a rocket leaving the atmosphere? How can you serious examine diseases that effect men and women differently when you deliberate want ignore that men and women have different bone structures, hormone levels, neurological pathways, and genitals?

If these people really got a free hand I could see a Cultural Revolution or even a Khmer Rouge Killing Fields type of situation taking place.
They really are out to destroy the university system and the culture. Like you I could see them in power having the potential to be like Hitler or Mao.

It's a shame we can't just deprive them of citizenship and deport them. I would much rather have most illegal immigrants than SJWs.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:35 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
So is this Social Justice Warrior business mostly a chick thing?
It tends to be mostly middle-class and wealthy young white women. There are some guys and minorities as well, but it tends to be primarily white which is ironic because they often attack other groups for being primarily white or engaging in tokenism, but if you ever see a group of these people in person the group will be whiter than a snowstorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, the whole social justice thing can be taken to absurd lengths. But it also does produce some much-needed changes add well. What's better: dealing with occasional overreach or not having any meaningful social rights for people other than white Euro males? Because the latter is what we'd have if conservatives were always in charge.

If social conservatives led this country throughout its history, women would still not be voting, blacks would still be treated like cattle, gays would still be mistreated at whim, and kids would still be working mines. You can bank on that. To this day, it is still a struggle for them to get their act together to fully and consistently admit that these various kinds of minorities should be treated fairly. Everyone who spends an afternoon on this forum should see that.

I'd rather risk being associated with social justice overreach than as an opponent to social justice.
First, that is like saying because paracetamol can cure a headache, there is no problem with taking an entire bottle in one sitting because since it cured your headache it can only accomplish good.

Second, you don't get to take credit for movements you didn't take part in nor do you get to take credit for moments that had little direct ties to the modern day Social Justice Movement. Women's Suffrage was mostly the work of white middle-class women who wanted to be able to take part in the electoral process; also many states in the US allowed women to vote in elections before there was coherent Women's Suffrage Movement. Plus a lot of Suffragettes weren't exactly socially liberal. Quite a few of them were openly White Supremacist and considered it a slap in the face that black men were given the vote before white women. Prohibition was also overwhelmingly supported by the Suffragettes in the US as well.

Now, I am glad women can vote. I believe that all citizens over the age of 18 who are not currently in prison should be allowed to vote because I believe an important part of a free society is that those who are subject to the laws should play a major part in choosing the laws which they will have to abide by. And, yes, my statement means that I believe ex-cons should be able to vote as well.

I should point out that Classical Liberalism and other Western developments also played a major role in the formation of the idea of inherent human rights. I should also point out that most Social Justice Warriors despise Classical Liberal thinkers as "Dead White Men" despise the fact that they laid the ideological groundwork for treating humans as an ends and not a means.

Sorry, but Western cultures are generally the only cultures that actually feel bad about the questionable periods in their pasts. Americans and Canadians are constantly reminded about their histories which included slavery, ethnic cleansing of the Native Americans, deliberate destruction of Native cultures, institutionalized racism, and so on. As opposed to let's say the Mongolians who view Genghis Khan and his successors as national heroes (despite the fact that their conquests killed literally tens of millions) or the Turks who when it comes to the Armenian Genocide and will get very angry and either deny it or justify it as the Turks needed more land for their own or the Saudis who abolished slavery in 1962.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies