Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

Can someone(preferably informed) please explain to me how EBT works? I was at Stop & Shop and a young girl, roughly 25 with a small infant, had a large carriage of groceries. For the most part, it looked like lots of fruits, veggies, organic meats, all natural juices, etc. She was even buying gallons of distilled water from a baby food brand for the child.

Her bill came to $117 and her EBT card paid for $112. She had to come up with $5 on her own. Is the $5 for an unqualified purchase like candy or did her EBT card only have $112 left on it? I rang out next after she left and her butter was bagged with my stuff. I noticed it at my truck and brought it over to her as she was loading up. She's driving a benz...Are you kidding me?!? My wife drives a Ford.

Before you say it wasn't her car, she had a pull down sun-shade in the backseat window and baby items in the trunk with the groceries. This was her car. "I'm all for helping people that need it, I really am"...but tell me how she can possibly afford a luxury car and need full food benefits? Are we following up with people receiving them or is this a life long deal?

Not stirring up an Anti-EBT thread, just surprised by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:34 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,885,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morano View Post
Before you say it wasn't her car, she had a pull down sun-shade in the backseat window and baby items in the trunk with the groceries. This was her car. "I'm all for helping people that need it, I really am"...but tell me how she can possibly afford a luxury car and need full food benefits? Are we following up with people receiving them or is this a life long deal?

A few possibilities:

1) Was recently making a lot more money, lost the job, applied for benefits, didn't sell the car.

2) Money is coming in from off the books work or business.

3) Live in boyfriend brings in income and either owns the car or pays for most of her living expenses so she can afford to use her money for luxuries. Since they aren't married, the government views her as impoverished and gives benefits such as EBT.

4) Rich parents own/gave her the car

AFAIK the government does pull benefits if your income rises, but if you have access to money and resources through relationships or the black market the state doesn't care (unless and until they catch you dealing drugs or leaving income off your tax forms, in which case they care a great deal and the food stamps are the least of their and your concerns). The government asset tests in some states for some programs, and it's a generally harmful thing as it discourages people on assistance from saving money for a rainy day and means responsible taxpayers who fall on hard times find there's no safety net to catch them unless and until they practically bankrupt themselves.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
The government does not count all your assets in SNAP eligibility.
Many states do not count any homes you own, any vehicles you own and do not count any pension you may be receiving.

If you keep your taxable, traceable income low and keep a small bank account that should qualify you for SNAP.

No different than how all these full time college students can all qualify for SNAP.
Savvy parents set their kids up so they can claim independence and qualify.

And why not ?

Old 04-26-2015, 02:34 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Can someone(preferably informed) please explain to me how EBT works? I was at Stop & Shop and a young girl, roughly 25 with a small infant, had a large carriage of groceries. For the most part, it looked like lots of fruits, veggies, organic meats, all natural juices, etc. She was even buying gallons of distilled water from a baby food brand for the child.

Her bill came to $117 and her EBT card paid for $112. She had to come up with $5 on her own. Is the $5 for an unqualified purchase like candy or did her EBT card only have $112 left on it? I rang out next after she left and her butter was bagged with my stuff. I noticed it at my truck and brought it over to her as she was loading up. She's driving a benz...Are you kidding me?!? My wife drives a Ford.

Real simple, she or her husband bought it before they fell on hard times, happened to many people. If it is paid off then why would they want to sell a good car and get some junker that will be nothing but an expensive money pit. Of the parents could have given or loaded it to her. It is easy to assume, but why if you were so curious didn't you simply ask her in a respectful way, maybe you would not be now wonder what the deal was.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
EBT = Government hand out for being irresponsible.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:48 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:

Yeah you are.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:

Yes you are If it upsets you so much that your wife is driving "only" a Ford, I suggest you save your money and buy her a Mercedes, just like this fictitious family has.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:

That's because you haven't seen the many threads by people who join C-D then tell a story about seeing a person using an EBT card who gets into a Benz. Sometimes they get into an Escalade with expensive rims. The OP is almost always driving a Ford. For some reason the brand-new poster who sees the woman getting into the Benz/Escalade never drives a Toyota, VW or Dodge. But the woman getting the groceries always chooses organic beef.

So do you always snoop to see the total of what someone else pays? Perhaps, as a public courtesy, you can just announce the total of your next purchase so the guy in back of you in line won't have to bump you with his cart so he can see how much you spend. You know... one snoop to another.... professional courtesy.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's because you haven't seen the many threads by people who join C-D then tell a story about seeing a person using an EBT card who gets into a Benz. Sometimes they get into an Escalade with expensive rims. The OP is usually driving a Ford. For some reason the brand-new poster who sees the woman getting into the Benz/Escalade never drives a Toyota, VW or Dodge. But the woman getting the groceries always chooses organic beef. Weird.
LOL. And they are usually making payments to some local car dealer who will repo it one hour after a missed payment and put it back in the lot for the next sucker to come along and buy.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:12 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:

I see it all the time around here, even the kids get Benefits cards. A lot of laborers have a strict cash only economy so they aren't reporting anything to the Feds. And I see the same thing you do...people paying with their benefits card then putting their groceries into their new SUV. The American taxpayer is being gamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies