Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,262 times

Advertisements

I identify as mixed-race although to many I look like a black woman with very strong Korean features. There are times I identify as Black woman of Asian heritage as well. Our(my mother, my brother and myself) features are like Koreans before they had surgery lol. (This is meant to be funny, don't get bent out of shape).

My mother is half-Korean and I look exactly like her. When people ask me "What are you mixed with? I tell them Asian, and that is when I am told "Well you don't look Asian!" And then sometimes they get really pissed as if they were expecting me to say I am not mixed, although it was obvious enough they even asked. Once I share with people my heritage they can be so mean about it. It isn't as if I am claiming to not be Black, I am claiming exactly what I am. I have been told so many times to just say I am Black. Why? That is not an accurate description of our heritage, so no, I usually do not say that.

Why would anyone have an issue when people that are bi-racial, or mixed Black say they are mixed? Are they supposed to just say Black as if their parents and grandparents didn't exist? Why doesn't it just stop and accept people as they are without trying so hard to compartmentalize them?

I am expecting some snide comments in 3,2,1......

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 05-03-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 PM

387 posts, read 589,621 times
pics?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I identify as mixed-race although to many I look like a black woman with very strong Korean features. Koreans before they had surgery lol. (This is meant to be funny, don't get bent out of shape).

My mother is half-Korean and I look exactly like her. When people ask me "What are you mixed with? I tell them Asian, and that is when I am told "Well you don't look Asian!" And then sometimes they get really pissed as if they were expecting me to say I am not mixed, although it was obvious enough they even asked. Once I share with people my heritage they can be so mean about it. It isn't as if I am claiming to not be Black, I am claiming exactly what I am. I have been told so many times to just say I am Black. Why? That is not an accurate description of our heritage, so no, I will not say that.

Why would anyone have an issue when people that are bi-racial, or mixed Black say they are mixed? Are they supposed to just say Black as if their parents and grandparents didn't exist?

Because in this country cannot see past race, religion , sex , or sexual origination.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
pics?
No

Old 05-03-2015, 09:07 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Why would anyone have an issue when people that are bi-racial, or mixed Black
say they are mixed?
Inferiority complex... they think that you think you are better than them because you are mixed.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Inferiority complex... they think that you think you are better than them because you are mixed.
What kills me is that is so totally absurd. But, unfortunately I have experienced it first hand. It is very hurtful. There is no need for all that. I haven't been the only one to experience it.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:10 PM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
I identify as mixed-race although to many I look like a black woman with very strong Korean features. Koreans before they had surgery lol. (This is meant to be funny, don't get bent out of shape).

My mother is half-Korean and I look exactly like her. When people ask me "What are you mixed with? I tell them Asian, and that is when I am told "Well you don't look Asian!" And then sometimes they get really pissed as if they were expecting me to say I am not mixed, although it was obvious enough they even asked. Once I share with people my heritage they can be so mean about it. It isn't as if I am claiming to not be Black, I am claiming exactly what I am. I have been told so many times to just say I am Black. Why? That is not an accurate description of our heritage, so no, I will not say that.

Why would anyone have an issue when people that are bi-racial, or mixed Black say they are mixed? Are they supposed to just say Black as if their parents and grandparents didn't exist?

Honestly, if someone is so rude to come out and ask what you are ... I would just say American and leave it at that.

I really don't get the fascination with ethnic heritage.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:14 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Honestly, if someone is so rude to come out and ask what you are ... I would just say American and leave it at that.

We have history of suppressing groups of people because they look different.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

I find those questions rude as well, but it happens often.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:06 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,653 times
Quote:
I identify as mixed-race although to many I look like a black woman with very strong Korean features. There are times I identify as Black woman of Asian heritage as well. Our(my mother, my brother and myself) features are like Koreans before they had surgery lol. (This is meant to be funny, don't get bent out of shape).

My mother is half-Korean and I look exactly like her. When people ask me "What are you mixed with? I tell them Asian, and that is when I am told "Well you don't look Asian!" And then sometimes they get really pissed as if they were expecting me to say I am not mixed, although it was obvious enough they even asked. Once I share with people my heritage they can be so mean about it. It isn't as if I am claiming to not be Black, I am claiming exactly what I am. I have been told so many times to just say I am Black. Why? That is not an accurate description of our heritage, so no, I usually do not say that.

Why would anyone have an issue when people that are bi-racial, or mixed Black say they are mixed? Are they supposed to just say Black as if their parents and grandparents didn't exist? Why doesn't it just stop and accept people as they are without trying so hard to compartmentalize them?

What is the issue? You fit outside of the narrowness of most humans scares and confuses the most obtuse. In response, you will get a fair share of bigotry, racism and whatever hurt they can throw your way in order to put you in your place.

Put pay no attention to them. Focus on your dreams and life. You will find overtime that you will outgrow group identity and the pangs of wanting to belong. You do belong, but to the human race. Welcome!

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies