Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,910,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Sure we do. But what exactly does criminalizing their use do?
If drugs were to be decrinminalized, are you telling me you don't think more people would be using them?

Actually, that's an interesting point to bring up. I wonder if there are any studies on how many people occasionaly indulge in alcoholic beverages ( a legal drug ) vs. use marijuana ( an illegal drug )

If drugs were legalized nationwide tomorrow, in a few years time you could expect to see a lot more marijuana use across all demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are quite confused. You assume that if you support freedom you are a drug user.
No, I don't assume that at all. I support freedom and I don't use drugs: legal or illegal. You want marijuana? Fine. Grow it and smoke it within the confines of your own home.
Quote:
Maybe you aren't aware that people can get marijuana anywhere in the USA with very little effort.
I'm well aware of that too. I could have a joint within the hour if I wanted one.
Quote:
The failed war on drugs hasn't done anything to stop drug use. In fact, it increases drug use.
How could you possibly know that? You can't prove a negative. It's like saying the presence of the police hasn't stopped or discouraged any one from committing a crime. You don't know that. Now, does the presence of the police stop ALL crime? No. But that doesn't mean it hasn't stopped any crime. Apply the same logic to the war on drugs. How many people chose NOT to use or experiment with marijuana because it's illegal? I don't smoke marijuana, but I started smoking cigarettes when I was 14. Cigarettes were legal, affordable, easily obtainable virtualy everywhere, and somewhat socially acceptable in the mainstream. So how will legalizing marijuana play out?

Old 05-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The USA had no drug laws until the beginning of the 20th century and it did just fine. .
Yeah, things were a LOT better back in the days when you could buy Heroin, Cocain, and Marijuana right out of a Sears and Robuck catalogue......

Ask the Chinese how Opium devestated their communities.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Did the fact that it's not legal stop them from doing it?
Nope.

So make it legal, let idiots kill themselves off.
Problem is, it doesn't just affect the user. It affects everyone around them too.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,592,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Problem is, it doesn't just affect the user. It affects everyone around them too.
Then they should see what they can do to help the user not to abuse the drug.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Then they should see what they can do to help the user not to abuse the drug.
This right here tells me you have little experience with drug addiction or alcoholism in your own life and family.

There isn't ANYTHING you can do to get an addict to quit using or drinking. You can't help them. There is no hope for them, unless they want to help themselves and are strong enough to actually help themselves.

Often it comes down to one impossible decision for family and freinds of an addict..... put up with them and everything that comes with their addiction, or completely dissociate with someone you love and care about.

An addict can also cause turmoil between other relationships in the family as well, like between the mother and father, particularly when they don't agree on what to do about the situation.

If you've never had it hit close to home and went through it yourself, then I don't expect you to fully comprehend and understand. But, we all need to think twice before we sign off on creating an environment that has the potential to put more families in these impossible situations.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:08 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,592,411 times
Quote:
This right here tells me you have little experience with drug addiction or alcoholism in your own life and family.

There isn't ANYTHING you can do to get an addict to quit using or drinking. You can't help them. There is no hope for them, unless they want to help themselves and are strong enough to actually help themselves.

Often it comes down to one impossible decision for family and freinds of an addict..... put up with them and everything that comes with their addiction, or completely dissociate with someone you love and care about.

An addict can also cause turmoil between other relationships in the family as well, like between the mother and father, particularly when they don't agree on what to do about the situation.

If you've never had it hit close to home and went through it yourself, then I don't expect you to fully comprehend and understand. But, we all need to think twice before we sign off on creating an environment that has the potential to put more families in these impossible situations.
So making it illegal would help, how?

Old 05-02-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So making it illegal would help, how?
How many more people would be using it if it were legal, who otherwise don't?

If smoking tobacco had never been legal, how many people would never have picked the habit up?

By making it legal, you normalize it and legitimize it's use in society.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
How many more people would be using it if it were legal, who otherwise don't?

If smoking tobacco had never been legal, how many people would never have picked the habit up?

By making it legal, you normalize it and legitimize it's use in society.
So. What's wrong with that?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,956,509 times
Quote:
Yeah, things were a LOT better back in the days when you could buy Heroin, Cocain, and Marijuana right out of a Sears and Robuck catalogue......

Ask the Chinese how Opium devestated their communities.
Right now we can look to......... Heroin in Pakistan more affordable than food.

It’s thought Pakistan has more than four million drug addicts, but less than 80 dedicated drug rehab clinics.

As RT’s Lucy Kafanov reports from Karachi, those heroin addicts don’t even bother hiding their habit. For many this is a deadly path.

While help for drug addicts is in short supply, there is no shortage of heroin on the streets of Karachi.

Afghanistan is the world’s largest producer of opium – heroin’s main ingredient – and accounts for 90 per cent of the global supply. Roughly 40 per cent of it is smuggled through Pakistan.

Opium production is up for the third year in a row, and predicted to grow more. When NATO leaves in 2014, there are fears the floodgates will open for the spread of the deadly harvest.
http://rt.com/news/pakistan-afghanis...gs-heroin-186/

Just what America needs.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies