Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,383,482 times

Advertisements

Has this been tried in any other countries?

Hong Kong Welfare: Work More, Get More
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,890,891 times
We do something that at certain marginal incomes works the same way in the form of the EITC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_income_tax_credit

Top couple paragraphs for those who don't like to click through to links:

Quote:
The United States federal earned income tax credit or earned income credit (EITC or EIC) is a refundable tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and couples—particularly those with children. The amount of EITC benefit depends on a recipient’s income and number of children. For a person or couple to claim one or more persons as their qualifying child(ren), the relationship, age, and shared residency requirements must be met, as well as some other requirements. In the 2013 tax year, working families with children that have annual incomes below $37,870 to $51,567 (depending on the number of dependent children) may be eligible for the federal EITC. Workers without children that have incomes below about $14,340 ($19,680 for a married couple) can receive a very small EITC benefit. U.S. tax forms 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040 can be used to claim EITC without qualifying children. To claim the credit with qualifying children, 1040A or 1040 must be used along with Schedule EITC attached.[1]

EIC phases in slowly, has a medium-length plateau, and then phases out more slowly than it phased in. And since the credit phases out at 21% (more than one qualifying child) or 16% (one qualifying child), it is always preferable to have one more dollar of actual salary or wages (although technically, since the EIC table moves by fifty dollar increments, it's always preferable to have an extra fifty-dollar increment of salary or wages).

For tax year 2013, the maximum EITC benefit for a single person or couple filing without qualifying children is $487. The maximum EITC with one qualifying child is $3,250, with two children it is $5,372, and with three or more qualifying children it is $6,044.[2][3][4] These amounts are indexed annually for inflation. On December 4, 2014, the The Atlantic reported that the EITC will cost about $70 billion in 2015.[5]

The earned income tax credit has been part of political debates in the United States regarding whether raising the minimum wage or increasing EITC is a better idea.[6][7][8]

Old 04-30-2015, 05:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times
The EITC in no way makes up for the things that you lose while transitioning up. Up until you hit about hmmm 50-60k the more you work often the less you have. Varies on where you live.

Its one of the issues I have with our current programs.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:57 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The EITC in no way makes up for the things that you lose while transitioning up. Up until you hit about hmmm 50-60k the more you work often the less you have. Varies on where you live.

Its one of the issues I have with our current programs.
Yes, for people on the full suit of government programs you are completely correct. OP was wondering if a similar program existed anywhere and the EITC here does fit the bill so I thought I'd bring it up. Wouldn't surprise me if it even inspired their program. It still doesn't make additional marginal income life improving for everyone within the context of our programs as a whole though.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Yes, for people on the full suit of government programs you are completely correct. OP was wondering if a similar program existed anywhere and the EITC here does fit the bill so I thought I'd bring it up. Wouldn't surprise me if it even inspired their program. It still doesn't make additional marginal income life improving for everyone within the context of our programs as a whole though.
The EITC applies to only folks with children as such those folks receive a great deal of help at the lower levels that has specific cut off points. Free lunchs, subsidized health care, etc etc etc. It adds up a lot and transitioning through them when I was younger always made me feel like no matter what I did I wasn't getting ahead. literally doubling my income I was actually ending up with less. It wasn't until I hit about 70K that felt like it went the other way. But thats a subjective feeling, I have no idea what the specifics are these days.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The EITC applies to only folks with children as such those folks receive a great deal of help at the lower levels that has specific cut off points. Free lunchs, subsidized health care, etc etc etc. It adds up a lot and transitioning through them when I was younger always made me feel like no matter what I did I wasn't getting ahead. literally doubling my income I was actually ending up with less. It wasn't until I hit about 70K that felt like it went the other way. But thats a subjective feeling, I have no idea what the specifics are these days.
^ Very close to how I feel.

The salary ranges may vary from rural Iowa to Seattle metro but the so-called "middle class" is in no-man's land in terms of benefitting from government programs among other things.

This country has increasingly incentivized being dirt poor or filthy rich. What a messed up society we've created. I don't blame anyone, rich or poor, who tries to "play the system". There is no honor among thieves...and that's who we pay our tribute to everyday no matter who you are.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
^ Very close to how I feel.

The salary ranges may vary from rural Iowa to Seattle metro but the so-called "middle class" is in no-man's land in terms of benefitting from government programs among other things.

This country has increasingly incentivized being dirt poor or filthy rich. What a messed up society we've created. I don't blame anyone, rich or poor, who tries to "play the system". There is no honor among thieves...and that's who we pay our tribute to everyday no matter who you are.
Even better from 70-120 The taxation starts to hurt....and you don't make enough to truly take advantage of tax loopholes. If you're smart you get some, but its still a slow slog. Its why our middle class is getting crushed. And job security? Thats a hilarious concept these days for most of us.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:58 AM

6,403 posts, read 6,294,715 times
And for those who missed it, again, the Earned Income Tax Credit is ONLY for those with kids. (And don't even get me started on the dependent deductions for kids.) Single and childless always get screwed.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
And for those who missed it, again, the Earned Income Tax Credit is ONLY for those with kids. (And don't even get me started on the dependent deductions for kids.) Single and childless always get screwed.
I dont know, I suspect it helped you a lot when you were a child. Everyone seems to miss that. Unless of course you were a orphan, and a ward of the state. I suppose then you'd be right, those folks do kinda get hosed.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:16 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,383,482 times
How much of a free market model have some of you considered Hong Kong to be?

This seems to show that even in a more free market economy like Hong Kong's some amount of safety net programs are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies