Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
That is not what the other guy in the van said, he said they went strait to the police station.
That independent video shows there was a 4th previously unreported stop, was the begining of end.

Charging all involved is a strategy to get to the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 08:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't know why folks would assume the cops were white in a city like Baltimore. They have a ton of black officers, including the top brass and the chief himself. Baltimore also has a black mayor and district attorney.

Of course, that doesn't mean that issues of race are automatically eliminated. Black cops as well as white cops can have negative views about certain groups and treat them differently.
People shouldn't assume but even some of the protesters thought this was about racism.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/34f3...3044558001.jpg

http://pics.mcclatchyinteractive.com...Baltimore.JPEG

Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
People shouldn't assume but even some of the protesters thought this was about racism.
It is about racism directed at the people living in those communities. It is not about racism directed at white, Baltimore police officers.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:05 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
The fact that some of the cops were black doesn't mean that young blacks don't get treated worse as a group. Black cops can have negative stereotypes, too.

Whether that is what happened here remains to be seen. If this was an intentional "rough ride" maybe they do that to everybody.

Either way it's bad business. I don't want to be treated that way nor do I want my family and friends to be subjected to that. Cops have a tough job but it's not up to them to play judge, jury and executioner.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
It is about racism directed at the people living in those communities. It is not about racism directed at white, Baltimore police officers.
Your argument is weak. You know as well as I do that many protesters assumed it was white cops who did this. If you watched major media this week, you would assume it was white cops as well as stations such as CNN really wanted to perpetuate the idea of white cops killing black men. Panel after panel, discussions ad nauseum about race and the problem of white cops killing black people. Face it, people assumed something which was not true.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Some of you people....you have no clue what life would be like for you if we didn't have these folks fighting a WAR on a daily basis against people that would come into your home, rape your wife, kill or take your children and take everything of value and then leave you in a pool of blood and not give it a second thought. Too many people live sheltered lives and have access to a computer.
What did Freddie Gray do that caused the officers to brutally kill him?

Old 05-02-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The fact that some of the cops were black doesn't mean that young blacks don't get treated worse as a group. Black cops can have negative stereotypes, too.

Whether that is what happened here remains to be seen. If this was an intentional "rough ride" maybe they do that to everybody.

Either way it's bad business. I don't want to be treated that way nor do I want my family and friends to be subjected to that. Cops have a tough job but it's not up to them to play judge, jury and executioner.
In an another thread, someone claimed Baltimore cops are only doing these rough rides to black people. Went and looked. Found easy examples of white people having the same done to them - in fact it was quite easy to find. I think the Baltimore department has issues but I don't think racism is one of them. This rough ride thing must be something in specific areas because if you look it up, almost all of the cases are from Baltimore and Philadelphia.

In my opinion, Baltimore has a leadership problem starting from the top.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Your argument is weak. You know as well as I do that many protesters assumed it was white cops who did this. If you watched major media this week, you would assume it was white cops as well as stations such as CNN really wanted to perpetuate the idea of white cops killing black men. Panel after panel, discussions ad nauseum about race and the problem of white cops killing black people. Face it, people assumed something which was not true.
Sorry but nobody who lives in Baltimore (and that's who I limited my comments to in my previous post) would assume that this happened because only white cops were involved. Just not the case. There are too many black cops for such reductive thinking by those who actually live here. As to assumptions by the media and those outside of Baltimore, I definitely agree that there were misconceptions.

Last edited by helenejen; 05-02-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The point (in case we need to explain it to you ) is that everyone was assuming this was a case of white cops beating the hell out of a black man. Now it comes out that half the accused are of the same race as Grey. That kinda takes away the racist part of the story, now it just becomes a matter of if they did something wrong period.

Don

Baltimore police have a long history of brutality and undue force. This was always about police brutality.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Sorry but nobody who lives in Baltimore would assume that this happened because only white cops were involved. Just not the case. There are too many black cops for such reductive thinking by those who actually live here.
And yet, I was able to easily counter your opinion by showing examples of citizens in your city who thought precisely that. Again, while YOU may not have thought so, there were obviously citizens in your city who did think it was white cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies