Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikekat View Post
Should I get money from the govt so I can buy a new house, I pay taxes its my money.
Apples and oranges comparison. The gov't does not provide zero-cost housing for everyone, but it does provide zero-cost K-12 education for all. School vouchers just provide a mechanism for parents to shift the subsidy from the public school system to a private school.

The gov't does provide subsidized rental housing for low income renters (Section 8) and the model is similar to the school voucher idea. Instead of gov't owned and operated rental housing, you get a kind of voucher that you can spend with whichever private landlord gives you the best deal. Do you oppose section 8 too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
More on the DC program:
a Washington Post review found that hundreds of students use their voucher dollars to attend schools that are unaccredited or are in unconventional settings, such as a family-run K-12 school operating out of a storefront, a Nation of Islam school based in a converted Deanwood residence, and a school built around the philosophy of a Bulgarian psychotherapist.
Quality controls lacking for D.C. schools accepting federal vouchers - The Washington Post

Old 05-04-2015, 05:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
More on the DC program:
a Washington Post review found that hundreds of students use their voucher dollars to attend schools that are unaccredited or are in unconventional settings, such as a family-run K-12 school operating out of a storefront, a Nation of Islam school based in a converted Deanwood residence, and a school built around the philosophy of a Bulgarian psychotherapist.
Quality controls lacking for D.C. schools accepting federal vouchers - The Washington Post
If it works, it's a better option.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I thought conservatives opposed free money handouts
You're mistaken, don't mistake the lack of support for the current system that is failing many students as lack of support for publicly funded education.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
So you want to give free money courtesy of tax payers so people can spend it at private institutions
I agree :roll eyes:
Much better to give Tax Payer money to all those Unions who use it to benefit themselves instead of the children they are supposed to be teaching. It's working great in Detroit, New York, Baltimore, Chicago.

I used to be against the Charter Schools because I thought it was a program to fund Religious Schools that provided a poor educations to students. Turns out that it's really the inner city kids that are suffering after we heard of all the reports of how well they did in the Charter Schools that got them out of the Getto education mills.

The entire system is broken - I have no doubt that there are Charter Schools that are nothing but money machines for the owners. The problem is the broad brush and refusal of Education Unions to even acknowledge ANY accountability. They have HUGE bloated Administrations and have become nothing but Jobs Programs. It hurt the kids in poor neighborhoods AND it hurts the Teachers who entered the Teaching Profession to "make a difference".

There are many to want to "make a difference" ..... the Unions are as much the enemy of the Teachers as they are of the children they are supposed to be teaching.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

For example.....were any transferred back? That could skew the result a lot.
Good point but equally as important is how well educated these kids really are. A diploma is just a piece of paper and I have my doubts those graduating from the inner city schools have attained the same academic achievements as those graduating in the voucher program.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's their money to start with. That said, I support public schools overall. In the majority of places they do a very good job.
...and that was what was really good about the proposal in PA because you could use the voucher at another public school.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:02 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...and that was what was really good about the proposal in PA because you could use the voucher at another public school.
Do you have more on the PA program?

Old 05-04-2015, 06:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Unions unfortunately fought that in Cleveland. It made no sense to me.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Don't have a 10 year study we do have one for five:
A five-year study published in 2010 looked at educational outcomes of 2,300 students who applied for the vouchers. The number who received money, determined by lottery, was 1,387 — though nearly 300 didn’t use the money. Another 921 students who applied didn’t get voucher money. The study concluded that there was no difference in standardized test scores in math and reading between the voucher students and those who applied but didn’t get voucher money.
http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/pubs/20104018/pdf/20104019.pdf
The plot thickens. How is it you have such a wide disparity in graduation rates?

One thing to keep in mind is we are not comparing the test results of all the students in the DC district. This is comparison of small group that applied for the scholarship some of whom never received an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies