Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,018 times

Advertisements

I want to say that this is my opinion. Regardless of what you believe I am in fact a black woman. You can call this thread race-baiting, and prejudiced, but read it and at least think about it. Race related issues are never easy for anyone to hear because it is indeed negative. Every race has it's under-performing people, but these recent events in Baltimore has only reinforced negative views of blacks from people that are racist, and saddened those that know that black people can do better than burn their own city down. And there is a wound there that has not healed and has been ignored and it festers.

Discrimination is alive and well in the United States. Probably in other countries as well, but I have only ever lived here, so I can only speak to my experiences as an American.

Now after the system as taken the pride away from the black man and woman through years of oppression, now some blacks are systematically destroying themselves and one another. How can we properly address the discrimination and injustices inflicted upon us from others, if we cannot even address what is wrong within our own communities? Instead of tearing down our own neighborhoods and cities why not hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Accountability for own actions need to happen. It has come to the point where we cannot honestly continue to place blame on others for our failures.

I do understand that there are many successful hard-working blacks in the United States. But I meet less hard-working and successful blacks than I do the unfortunate stereotypes.

What can be done to stop this cycle of oppression to oppressing ourselves?

If this thread offends you, you can report it and delete it, but I stand by this thread and it is an honest observation. Think of it as you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
I think the biggest problem black Americans have is a lack of business ownership.

Fewer black businesses translates into fewer jobs for black people which contributes to the various social problems related to high unemployment. Too many blacks are limiting solutions to our economic problems to gov't wealth redistribution. Gov't wealth redistribution should be viewed as a part of what blacks need. The other part is more business ownership to reduce unemployment and increasing financial literacy to help us to better spend and manage our money. Once blacks get their financial thing together then many of our social problem will become less.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:49 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
^

This elaborates on what I said.

Quote:
I see a very strong association between some of these problems like gang behavior and violent crime and joblessness. For example, if you look at a recent longitudinal study conducted by my colleague at the University of Colorado -- we are doing a book together -- Delbert Elliot. He found, for example, that by the time white males and black males reached the late 20s, the violent crime ratio is 4 to 1 -- 4 black to 1 white. Much higher violent crime rate among black males. However, when he controlled for employment, there was no significant difference in the violent crime rate between white males and black males. No significant difference.

frontline: the two nations of black america: interview with william julius wilson

Study Ranks Joblessness Top Factor in Gang Toll - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
The first thing that could be done is for Blacks to stop supporting liberal Democratic policies that helping destroy the Black family. I don't think anything can be done until that happens.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:54 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The first thing that could be done is for Blacks to stop supporting liberal Democratic policies that helping destroy the Black family. I don't think anything can be done until that happens.
Interesting. Are you advocating the monolithic block of black voters, who vote 90+% for Dem politicians who implement "liberal Democratic policies", should vote for Republican politicians or are you suggesting something else?

Second, which liberal policies specifically do you want stopped?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 AM

30,378 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Blacks will pull themselves out of a bad environment the same way other groups have done so...through good values first and then hard work and focus. No one is going to do it for you, you have to do it yourself.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Interesting. Are you advocating the monolithic block of black voters, who vote 90+% for Dem politicians who implement "liberal Democratic policies", should vote for Republican politicians or are you suggesting something else?

Second, which liberal policies specifically do you want stopped?

I'd say all but let's start with changing these liberal Democratic policies first:

1. Amnesty for the illegals

This is the one single policy that hurts Americans particularly the poor blacks the most. No other policies come even close. While the unemployment rate is at 25% among the blacks, the liberal Democrats want to import 50 million, yes that many, poor illegal immigrants to compete with the poor blacks not only for jobs but also for welfare, unemployment benefit, public schooling and health care.

2. Minimum wage laws

This is the lovely "shoot yourself in the foot" law.

3. Free welfare - food stamps, public housing, etc. etc.

No welfare should be provided without obligations from the recipients, which would simply encourage people to be dependent on the government rather than themselves.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I want to say that this is my opinion. Regardless of what you believe I am in fact a black woman. You can call this thread race-baiting, and prejudiced, but read it and at least think about it. Race related issues are never easy for anyone to hear because it is indeed negative. Every race has it's under-performing people, but these recent events in Baltimore has only reinforced negative views of blacks from people that are racist, and saddened those that know that black people can do better than burn their own city down. And there is a wound there that has not healed and has been ignored and it festers.

Discrimination is alive and well in the United States. Probably in other countries as well, but I have only ever lived here, so I can only speak to my experiences as an American.

Now after the system as taken the pride away from the black man and woman through years of oppression, now some blacks are systematically destroying themselves and one another. How can we properly address the discrimination and injustices inflicted upon us from others, if we cannot even address what is wrong within our own communities? Instead of tearing down our own neighborhoods and cities why not hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Accountability for own actions need to happen. It has come to the point where we cannot honestly continue to place blame on others for our failures.

I do understand that there are many successful hard-working blacks in the United States. But I meet less hard-working and successful blacks than I do the unfortunate stereotypes.

What can be done to stop this cycle of oppression to oppressing ourselves?

If this thread offends you, you can report it and delete it, but I stand by this thread and it is an honest observation. Think of it as you will.
I here you loud and clear. I think it involves controlling the things that shape people minds and thinking. We would need to control the media that we receive, so that we can present ourselves in the image that we want to be. We need the ability and tools to socially engineer a change in culture. We need to be able to create laws that are geared to facilitate our needs. We need to be able control tax policy to be used as an incentive. For example, find a way to make in monetarily rewarding, via taxes, to marry and remain married (with oversight). We need the ability to control drug laws and policies and maybe even legalized drugs to take the profit out of selling drugs and the war and violence that ensues from market competition. We need to be able to isolate ourselves and focus on ourselves.....which is virtually impossible in the context of the larger society and majority rule.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:45 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When you have generations depending on the government instead of being self sufficient, that's a tough cultural shift in the poor black community. But, I agree 100%

Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I here you loud and clear. I think it involves controlling the things that shape people minds and thinking. We would need to control the media that we receive, so that we can present ourselves in the image that we want to be.
I made exactly that point in the other thread. The media is largely leftist; everyone knows that. You need to very carefully reconsider and eventually acknowledge the extreme damage the left-wing has done/is doing to the Black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies