Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times

Advertisements

I wonder where we would be if all the supposedly straight, hetrosexual people, who focus their existance around the sex or gender lives of people they will never encounter, and if fat old men would stop worrying about what women do with their fetus.

None of this affects anyone but those involved, so why so much focus?

Maybe it's easier than fixing medicine, or global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I consider myself a pretty open-minded person. I see no reason to prevent gays from marrying, I think it is disgusting when they are denied civil rights, etc. etc. etc.

However, I must admit, the transgender thing is a little different. I don't quite understand it. Of course part of it is I was born a man and like being a man so maybe it's one of those things that is impossible to understand unless it is you.

It seems to me that being transgender creates a new set of problems that could easily be taken advantage of. For instance, what is stopping me from pretending to be a woman to get a better view in the locker room at the local gym? What about prison populations? Where are we supposed to put these people? At what point is "Pthe transformation complete? If someone is born a man and goes to jail and they no longer have a penis or testes and instead have a vagina, do they get put in with the women? What if they are simply not wealthy enough to afford that kind of surgery but otherwise feel like a woman? Where do they go?

Is it wrong for me to think that some things in life you just don't get to choose? You don't choose your parents, how tall you are going to be, or your race, the foods you like, or if you will be born with Down's Syndrome. Is it wrong for me to think that you don't get to choose your sex either? If you want to chop off your genitalia and take hormone therapy to live like the other kind, then that is your choice... but is it wrong for me to think that you should still be grouped with what you were born as when it comes to scholarships, athletic competition, and which inmate population you are mixed with?

Perhaps someone who is or knows a T could explain to me why this line of thinking is wrong?
If you're really serious in your query why not do a little research on you own instead of bringing up what you KNOW to be a controversial subject riff with personal ( uneducated) prejudice? Unless of course your question is just a veiled attempt to stir the pot under the guise of... " help me understand".
There are some very good resources on the web, that deal with the subject in an unbiased way rather than asking on a public forum. If a loved one ( using your example) was suffering from "Downs Syndrome" would you truly ask for answers on a forum such as this?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
I consider myself a pretty open-minded person. I see no reason to prevent gays from marrying, I think it is disgusting when they are denied civil rights, etc. etc. etc.

However, I must admit, the transgender thing is a little different. I don't quite understand it. Of course part of it is I was born a man and like being a man so maybe it's one of those things that is impossible to understand unless it is you.

It seems to me that being transgender creates a new set of problems that could easily be taken advantage of. For instance, what is stopping me from pretending to be a woman to get a better view in the locker room at the local gym? What about prison populations? Where are we supposed to put these people? At what point is the transformation complete? If someone is born a man and goes to jail and they no longer have a penis or testes and instead have a vagina, do they get put in with the women? What if they are simply not wealthy enough to afford that kind of surgery but otherwise feel like a woman? Where do they go?

Is it wrong for me to think that some things in life you just don't get to choose? You don't choose your parents, how tall you are going to be, or your race, the foods you like, or if you will be born with Down's Syndrome. Is it wrong for me to think that you don't get to choose your sex either? If you want to chop off your genitalia and take hormone therapy to live like the other kind, then that is your choice... but is it wrong for me to think that you should still be grouped with what you were born as when it comes to scholarships, athletic competition, and which inmate population you are mixed with?

Perhaps someone who is or knows a T could explain to me why this line of thinking is wrong?
The bolded part strikes me. If you wonder about this. I presume you are a straight male that is comfortable with his gender and sexuality. Would you put on makeup and a dress and pretend to be transgender so you could peek at women in the locker room? I think that premise is silly. Maybe in the movies but real life, most men are too chicken**** to actually go that far. Obviously men rape women without pretending to be transgender so I think this particular premise is ludicrous. Have a great night!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:15 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I wonder where we would be if all the supposedly straight, hetrosexual people, who focus their existance around the sex or gender lives of people they will never encounter, and if fat old men would stop worrying about what women do with their fetus.

None of this affects anyone but those involved, so why so much focus?

Maybe it's easier than fixing medicine, or global warming.
Oh cool! i'm anti Abortion but i'm not fat or old so i get a free pass, right?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:

It seems to me that being transgender creates a new set of problems that could easily be taken advantage of. For instance, what is stopping me from pretending to be a woman to get a better view in the locker room at the local gym? What about prison populations? Where are we supposed to put these people? At what point is the transformation complete? If someone is born a man and goes to jail and they no longer have a penis or testes and instead have a vagina, do they get put in with the women? What if they are simply not wealthy enough to afford that kind of surgery but otherwise feel like a woman? Where do they go?

Do you see any reason to prevent the state from assuming an unconstitutional power and to use that unconstitutional power to overturn the will of the people expressed through popular referendums?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:52 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Same sex marriage is transgendered marriage.

And so, when a transgender marries a transgender, that is double transgenderation.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:00 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
I don't get how someone finds George Clooney attractive, so where does that leave me?

Spoiler:
Spoiler
A straight female who doesn't lie awake at night worrying about it. Or worrying about why anyone is attracted to anyone.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:34 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
If you're really serious in your query why not do a little research on you own instead of bringing up what you KNOW to be a controversial subject riff with personal ( uneducated) prejudice? Unless of course your question is just a veiled attempt to stir the pot under the guise of... " help me understand".
There are some very good resources on the web, that deal with the subject in an unbiased way rather than asking on a public forum. If a loved one ( using your example) was suffering from "Downs Syndrome" would you truly ask for answers on a forum such as this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The bolded part strikes me. If you wonder about this. I presume you are a straight male that is comfortable with his gender and sexuality. Would you put on makeup and a dress and pretend to be transgender so you could peek at women in the locker room? I think that premise is silly. Maybe in the movies but real life, most men are too chicken**** to actually go that far. Obviously men rape women without pretending to be transgender so I think this particular premise is ludicrous. Have a great night!
THe OP was trying to be nice because the dude does have some legit questions, he was NOT slamming "trans" people. Hell; many Gay and Lesbian people DO come down HARD on the trans ones too.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
However, I must admit, the transgender thing is a little different. I don't quite understand it.
Me neither. However, whether we understand it is utterly irrelevant. I don't understand how people can oppose marriage equality, but I don't suggest that such people be ostracized by society, denied equal opportunity to marry, adopt children, work, find homes, etc. Transitioning is an insanely onerous burden. People who undertake it are serious, not frivolous. Anyone willing to put up with even just the logistical aspects of it is worthy of respect and dignity with regard to acknowledgment and acceptance.

Quote:
Is it wrong for me to think that some things in life you just don't get to choose?
No, it isn't wrong, but the challenge is determining which are the things in life that fall into that category. Just because something doesn't make sense to you, or doesn't qualify based on some arbitrary standards set forth in the past, doesn't mean that something is one of those. If the intention represents an internally consistent system and causes significant harm to no person, as in the case of transgenderism, then it qualifies as something worthy.

There are numerous attitudes humans once practiced that we've learned over time, learned through increasing our spiritual maturity as a species, are indefensible: Support for slavery, treating women as chattel, etc. As our understanding of morality grows, as we slough off the corrupt impediments of ancient biases and prejudices, we find more immoral attitudes we need to leave behind, as part of progressing. It will never include things such as ritual killing or abusing children, but there are likely to be even more things we all consider normal and righteous today that we'll eventual realize are failings and will need to remedy.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Oh cool! i'm anti Abortion but i'm not fat or old so i get a free pass, right?
No they were just using the idea that social/religious conservative republicans are just that. If they used social conservative, we wouldn't have to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Same sex marriage is transgendered marriage.

And so, when a transgender marries a transgender, that is double transgenderation.
How does same sex marriage equate to same sex marriage? I can see if it pre-op transgender but if it is post-op who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies