Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:53 PM

595 posts, read 368,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So is the FDA, USDA, etc by that measure

sometimes we expect the goverment to take a look at stuff and make sure its safe.

Just saying
Notice who is pushing this, big corporations. Corporation will push these regulations in order to put smaller competition who can not afford to comply with the regulations out of business. This has little if anything to do with safety, it has to do with corporations wanting to push their competition out of the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 05:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Okay, reviewing the bill (and not the nutso website so much) it seems the entire point is to FDA to measure the impact of the chemicals used in soaps.

So, uh, if you don't have the chemicals in it. . shouldn't bother you too much.

I don't know. . .seems like a fair enough bill. I wish they would lockdown the f'n vitamins and other crack pot stuff though (anything labeled homeopathic). . .that is a bigger issue.
Before long you'll have to get a O.K. to cut your grass. Send in a clipping and $5000 for testing and within 6 weeks you'll get a permit or be denied. There will be an appeal process. Just have your attorney fill out the proper paperwork.

They are making soap. Something that people have been doing for hundreds of years. If you are concerned, don't buy it.

Quote:
So is the FDA, USDA, etc by that measure

sometimes we expect the goverment to take a look at stuff and make sure its safe.

Just saying

Go to your local arts fair and buy it and test it then.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
So, uh, if you don't have the chemicals in it. . shouldn't bother you too much.
Water is a chemical....

The same thing happened when the lead started showing up in toys from Mattel that were made in China. The testing costs were insurmountable and many small toymakers that were making handmade toys went out of business.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-12-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio1803 View Post
Notice who is pushing this, big corporations. Corporation will push these regulations in order to put smaller competition who can not afford to comply with the regulations out of business. This has little if anything to do with safety, it has to do with corporations wanting to push their competition out of the market.

I got the same feeling, looking at the OP's first link listing those companies that are for the bill.

I will say, as a soap maker, I am rather appalled at the chemicals that, purportedly, some people put into their homemade soap (and other products).

My soap is made from the following: olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, Jojoba oil, palm oil, and castor oil (for suds), along with goat milk and lye. Of course, I do not sell soap, but make it for personal use and for family members (such as one that is allergic to the crap put into commercially made soaps).

I would hope that most people who make their own soaps to sell at flea markets and such don't use those chemicals cited in the links.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Here's to hoping that if it does pass (it hasn't yet) the local craftspeople just ignore the law.
Just start selling "direct" like the small farmers do.
Sadly it's harder to do and brings in a lot less money.

But the big boys in industry want to stay big and squash any type of competition, especially growing competition.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I got the same feeling, looking at the OP's first link listing those companies that are for the bill.

I will say, as a soap maker, I am rather appalled at the chemicals that, purportedly, some people put into their homemade soap (and other products).

My soap is made from the following: olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, Jojoba oil, palm oil, and castor oil (for suds), along with goat milk and lye. Of course, I do not sell soap, but make it for personal use and for family members (such as one that is allergic to the crap put into commercially made soaps).

I would hope that most people who make their own soaps to sell at flea markets and such don't use those chemicals cited in the links.
I think that part about the chemicals is kinda bogus.
The people I know that make and sell soap do it because of the chemicals in store bought soap.
A big selling point of home made soap is the absence of those chemicals the big corporations use.

Sounds like fear propaganda to push this bill. "Oh but its for your safety".

Just like they did with the small farmer at Farmer's Markets when they passed that big food safety bill.
Put many of them out of business in the name of "keeping you safe".

Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Before long you'll have to get a O.K. to cut your grass. Send in a clipping and $5000 for testing and within 6 weeks you'll get a permit or be denied. There will be an appeal process. Just have your attorney fill out the proper paperwork.
known as a fallacious argument, Slippery slope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question)

Quote:
They are making soap. Something that people have been doing for hundreds of years. If you are concerned, don't buy it.

Go to your local arts fair and buy it and test it then.
in general, i'm not disagreeing with the idea that I want new business setup to be cheap and efficient. It powers innovation. yet you are skipping to some odd future argument or appeal to tradition . .

my biggest issue with the reasoning against regulation on this board is because its regulation. Regulation can be good or bad. It can increase safety but it can slow down innovation.

Yet when I read the article it was like stuff . . .if you use chemical x we should test its impact. That doesn't mean a very heavy burden to me.. and its a burden I would expect to ensure safety.

because you know what, mercury was used to cure stuff for 100s of years. Lead was used in pipes for hundreds of years (since roman time). So guess what, old crap can be dangerous.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:07 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Water is a chemical....

The same thing happened when the lead started showing up in toys from Mattel that were made in China. The testing costs were insurmountable and many small toymakers that were making handmade toys went out of business.

not one of the items listed on the proposed regulation. . water

What toy maker went out of business? i call bull#@!

unless your talking about lead-gifts-r-us

Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio1803 View Post
Yep, Costco's Jim Sinegal former owner of Costco and is a large Costco shareholder. Sinegal supported Obama tax increase and spoke at the Democratic National Convention in 2012 election cycle. Sinegal voted at the board meeting to make a large dividend payments in December prior to Obama's tax increase to help shareholders beat upcoming tax increases.

Does Costco want the little family store nearby?
Nope.

How do they get rid of the competition (yep the little guy)?
Hurt the little guy by hitting them in the pocket of course.

How do they hurt the little guy financially?
Support politicians who will increase costly regulations and raise taxes the little guy can't skirt past like big business can.

What happens when the small guy is put out of business?
Since the little guy is put out of business people are forced to seek jobs with the big business.

What happens to employment and pay rates?
Employees are forced to accept jobs from the big guy and big business can pay even less.

Last edited by petch751; 05-12-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 03:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
known as a fallacious argument, Slippery slope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question)
EPA sets lower emissions regulations for mowers

Quote:
in general, i'm not disagreeing with the idea that I want new business setup to be cheap and efficient. It powers innovation. yet you are skipping to some odd future argument or appeal to tradition . .

my biggest issue with the reasoning against regulation on this board is because its regulation. Regulation can be good or bad. It can increase safety but it can slow down innovation.

Yet when I read the article it was like stuff . . .if you use chemical x we should test its impact. That doesn't mean a very heavy burden to me.. and its a burden I would expect to ensure safety.

because you know what, mercury was used to cure stuff for 100s of years. Lead was used in pipes for hundreds of years (since roman time). So guess what, old crap can be dangerous.
People have been making home made soap for centuries. Can you point out how many have been killed by it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies