Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Anyone watch or read the entire speech? It was remarkable.

How dare a well educated black woman tell the graduating class how it was/ is. The bottom line was " so what" - other people's perceptions, opinions and noise do not define you.

It's a very similar message Dr Ben Carson communicates to black student audiences. He was often mistaken for an orderly because people could not imagine a young black man was a MD. Patients refused to be seen by him because Of the color of his skin.

Too bad some white conservative media continues to pander to an audience that has a serious issue with black people who recognize they have a choice and choose to not allow other people to define their worth based on the color of their skin.
Yeah well, you live in a suburb that's a whopping %.62 black. So your statements are more than a bit disingenuous.

Last edited by fat lou; 05-12-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 05:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
So: we have the wife of a nation's president whining about how awful that nation is to her and people like her. Has such a thing ever happened before in human history? Will it ever happen again? I doubt it.

But at least there's an upside to this: no matter who else is ever elected president in this fading country, we know that it can't get any worse than this.

Last edited by fat lou; 05-12-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 05:45 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I don't know why she had to make a big speech when she could have just distributed a link to this forum.
Word.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM

231 posts, read 171,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The way to get rid of it is to remove RACE and racial ideology from everything. Remove it from the census, job applications, school forms etc. It will take far more than not talking. There has to be plenty action taken to remove racial ideology from the American psyche.
You can certainly make that argument. Get rid of any kind of AA, 'hate' crimes (they're just crimes now), Black History month, discrimination suits, school quotas, etc. People will still think in terms of race, as it's probably the single strongest way to form up groups, but get the government 100% out of it.

A tricky upcoming thing will be advances in DNA (and similar) technologies. Let's say you can predict that someone is much more likely to be a criminal or a genius due to a cheek swab, what now?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Lol, the right wing crazies are run amok in this thread. I didn't realize reading comprehension was that difficult.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
You can certainly make that argument. Get rid of any kind of AA, 'hate' crimes (they're just crimes now), Black History month, discrimination suits, school quotas, etc. People will still think in terms of race, as it's probably the single strongest way to form up groups, but get the government 100% out of it.

A tricky upcoming thing will be advances in DNA (and similar) technologies. Let's say you can predict that someone is much more likely to be a criminal or a genius due to a cheek swab, what now?

Larger than that. The government and institutions must remove race from official documents and information seeking processes, along with other areas mentioned.

Race is not the strongest way to form groups. It is a recent phenomenon in world history but highly ingrained in American society.

CULTURE is stronger. Religion is often stronger as well. Most of the present world and history are evidence of that.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
I listened to to the entire speech. She wasn't whinning or preaching hate and division. She told those kids what the reality of their situation is and urged them to rise above it. Most of the posts on this thread simply reinforce the fact that there is a racist element that forever exists in some people in this country, and you never know under what circumstances you will encounter it, but it is still there and for the foreseeable future always will be.

I do not to support Obama's policies, I think he follows a different political philosophy than I do. But I don't hate him and his wife, don't think they are closeted Muslims trying to destroy America, I don't refer to the First Lady as Moochelle. I respectfully disagree with their vision for the country, but I do want to emphasize "respectfully."

It's sad other are so blinded by hate, they cannot see what their hateful rhetoric makes them look like to others.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 AM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
"For the first time in my life (well second, there was Hillary) I am ashamed of the my First Lady"

Old 05-13-2015, 02:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I listened to to the entire speech. She wasn't whinning or preaching hate and division. She told those kids what the reality of their situation is and urged them to rise above it. Most of the posts on this thread simply reinforce the fact that there is a racist element that forever exists in some people in this country, and you never know under what circumstances you will encounter it, but it is still there and for the foreseeable future always will be.

I do not to support Obama's policies, I think he follows a different political philosophy than I do. But I don't hate him and his wife, don't think they are closeted Muslims trying to destroy America, I don't refer to the First Lady as Moochelle. I respectfully disagree with their vision for the country, but I do want to emphasize "respectfully."

It's sad other are so blinded by hate, they cannot see what their hateful rhetoric makes them look like to others.
Well said...I completely agree.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:39 AM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Having blinders on where the a strong narrow focus is constantly race will not reduce race problems in any society.

We are Americans and need to start living as one then inconsequential differences will fade with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies