Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,792 times

Advertisements

On December 1, 1955 a lady in Montgomery, AL named Rosa Parks chose to ignore a request from a bus driver for her to sit in the designated area for Negros in the rear of the bus. Her brilliant protest sparked a boycott that lasted several months and ultimately won a key civil rights victory for black Americans.

I fully support the boycott and its result. Every cop or reader of spy novels knows that if you sit in a restaurant it is best to face the door so that you can see the threat. Jesse Jackson famously said, "“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” Statistically speaking, the safest arrangement for bus seating is black males up front with all women and whites in the back.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:08 PM

934 posts, read 595,771 times
As long as we are not on the same.bus it makes no difference to me

Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
On December 1, 1955 a lady in Montgomery, AL named Rosa Parks chose to ignore a request from a bus driver for her to sit in the designated area for Negros in the rear of the bus. Her brilliant protest sparked a boycott that lasted several months and ultimately won a key civil rights victory for black Americans.

I fully support the boycott and its result. Every cop or reader of spy novels knows that if you sit in a restaurant it is best to face the door so that you can see the threat. Jesse Jackson famously said, "“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” Statistically speaking, the safest arrangement for bus seating is black males up front with all women and whites in the back.

I support it, too, but Rosa Parks didn't choose to ignore that request on December 1, 1955. This was well-planned in advance of that date, and involved a number of people behind the scenes. It was a coordinated effort, not a spur-of-the-moment epiphany by her, alone.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
*SIGH*

Here we go again...Conservative Republicans being Conservative Republicans. Guess i shouldn't be surprised.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I support it, too, but Rosa Parks didn't choose to ignore that request on December 1, 1955. This was well-planned in advance of that date, and involved a number of people behind the scenes. It was a coordinated effort, not a spur-of-the-moment epiphany by her, alone.
Good point. It isn't ever taught that way. It sounds more "heroic" if she did it all by herself. Kudos to her anyway! She made buses safer.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
As long as we are not on the same.bus it makes no difference to me

Anyone who rides the bus needs to be segregated.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

Here we go again...Conservative Republicans being Conservative Republicans. Guess i shouldn't be surprised.
Are you speaking of me? I have said several times in this forum that I hate both parties. My most common refrain is that democracy exists to inhibit change. I don't believe that elections mean a whit. They are all bought and paid for by the real people in power and they let one party or the other win every once in awhile just to make the people think that they actually have a voice. You seem very partisan, sir. Wake up and help me save America. Its going to take something more than voting, that's for sure. Democracy exists to inhibit change.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 PM

934 posts, read 595,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

What boggles my mind is how guys like Herman Cain, Ben Carson, and Allen West cant see something so obvious

Old 05-18-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
What boggles my mind is how guys like Herman Cain, Ben Carson, and Allen West cant see something so obvious
Would you prefer that they remain "house and yard" slaves on the Democratic plantation?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Are you speaking of me? I have said several times in this forum that I hate both parties. My most common refrain is that democracy exists to inhibit change. I don't believe that elections mean a whit. They are all bought and paid for by the real people in power and they let one party or the other win every once in awhile just to make the people think that they actually have a voice. You seem very partisan, sir. Wake up and help me save America. Its going to take something more than voting, that's for sure. Democracy exists to inhibit change.
You say this....
Quote:
He says this...
Quote:
Would you prefer that they remain "house and yard" slaves on the Democratic plantation?
Then you retort with this...

You're a Conservative Republican, and you're not fooling anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies