Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:18 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times

Advertisements

I realize their job is to defend a person, no matter the crime.

But, once a defense team loses, admits they lost, why can't a defense lawyer just admit their client lost and move on?
For someone who is guilty, who both they and their client admit is guilty and has been handed a punishment by our court system, why can't then just accept the punishment and move on to the next case?
Especially in a case like this, where this guy would have gladly blown his defense attorney to pieces if given the chance, why doesn't the defense atty, just say:
"We gave it our best effort, the evidence was overwhelming, there's an admission of guilt, we were handed the punishment and we'll accept the courts decision. We will not be filing any appeals."

Does a defense atty really care that a terrorist killing Americans is executed after a fair trial? YOU LOST THE TRIAL! MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE! Let you client pay for his crime.

If they decided not to appeal, who would be upset? His family in Russia? (who cares what they feel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I realize their job is to defend a person, no matter the crime.

But, once a defense team loses, admits they lost, why can't a defense lawyer just admit their client lost and move on?
For someone who is guilty, who both they and their client admit is guilty and has been handed a punishment by our court system, why can't then just accept the punishment and move on to the next case?
Especially in a case like this, where this guy would have gladly blown his defense attorney to pieces if given the chance, why doesn't the defense atty, just say:
"We gave it our best effort, the evidence was overwhelming, there's an admission of guilt, we were handed the punishment and we'll accept the courts decision. We will not be filing any appeals."

Does a defense atty really care that a terrorist killing Americans is executed after a fair trial? YOU LOST THE TRIAL! MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE! Let you client pay for his crime.

If they decided not to appeal, who would be upset? His family in Russia? (who cares what they feel)

Appealing guilty verdicts is part of their job.

And I thought appeals were automatic on a death sentence, unless the convicted wishes otherwise.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Appealing guilty verdicts is part of their job.

And I thought appeals were automatic on a death sentence, unless the convicted wishes otherwise.
That may be, but it anyone going to object if they put up the most half-assed appeal in the history of our court system?

Here's how it should go:

Defense Atty: "Your honor, we ask that you reconsider putting Mr. Muslim Terrorist to death for his crimes"

Judge: "motion denied. The verdict and punishment stand"

Defense Atty: "Thank you Your Honor."

This should insure a quick execution process and save a lot of American taxpayers money from keeping this guy alive with 3 hots and a cot and a nice, taxpayer supplied prayer rug.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:45 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
That may be, but it anyone going to object if they put up the most half-assed appeal in the history of our court system?

Here's how it should go:

Defense Atty: "Your honor, we ask that you reconsider putting Mr. Muslim Terrorist to death for his crimes"

This should insure a quick execution process and save a lot of American taxpayers money from keeping this guy alive with 3 hots and a cot and a nice, taxpayer supplied prayer rug.
If you have a problem with the verdict perhaps you should take it up with those bunch of Lawyers who founded this Nation and wrote our Constitution instead.
Taliban justice doesn't work in Ameriku!

Old 05-18-2015, 06:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:

Here's how it should go:

Yes. Their colleagues, their employers, the judge...

There are penalties for "tanking" as there should be.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:14 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,638 times
Just because a d.a. might not like the person they are defending does not mean they shouldn't do their job too the best of their abilities. Also I believe if found guilty of negligence the lawyer could be censured or disbarred.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
If you have a problem with the verdict perhaps you should take it up with those bunch of Lawyers who founded this Nation and wrote our Constitution instead.
Taliban justice doesn't work in Ameriku!
Reading comprehension much?

I don't have a problem with the verdict. What I have is a problem with the appeal process which is going to keep this POS alive for several more years.

And, what the hell are they appealing? He admitted he did it. His lawyers admitted he did it. You lost the case. Your punishment was handed down. Now it's time to pay the piper!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Just because a d.a. might not like the person they are defending does not mean they shouldn't do their job too the best of their abilities. Also I believe if found guilty of negligence the lawyer could be censured or disbarred.
That's why I said, submit an appeal, let it get denied, you did your job.

Does it really matter if he's put to death today or in 10 years? All that does is cost you and me more money and more heartache for the victims and their families.

And, if they're going to be found guilty of negligence, why aren't they negligent for losing the case in the first place?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension much?

I don't have a problem with the verdict. What I have is a problem with the appeal process which is going to keep this POS alive for several more years.

And, what the hell are they appealing? He admitted he did it. His lawyers admitted he did it. You lost the case. Your punishment was handed down. Now it's time to pay the piper!
The appeal (called a Direct Appeal) is mandatory in federal death penalty cases and in many states as well. And it's purpose is not to rehash the innocence or guilt of the person sentenced to death. It's a review of the proceedings to insure the trial was correctly adjudicated. It's not something the lawyers or guilty party can opt out of. It's just the way the system works.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:24 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Defense attorneys that defend the obvious guilty in my opinion are just as guilty as the people they are defending. They are guilty...who cares what punishment they get? This lawyer could have very well been a victim of the bombing if they had been there that day and here they are defending this kid. Once he got the death penalty the floor under him should have opened up and he should have dropped into a big meat grinder. These types of people I agree should suffer but to rid the world of these people ASAP is the better thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies