Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 12:29 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Q4 2012:

Median monthly rent $718

Median monthly mortgage payment: $481

(is this a great country or what?)

I'm paying more to rent a ROOM than the median homeowner pays to own a HOUSE

Monthly Rent Vs Monthly Mortgage Payment - Business Insider
Some States have property tax as high as a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you believe only a school can give you marketable job skills, it's no wonder why you haven't progressed.
I learned how to program and how to use MS office online for free. Youtube has great tutorials.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Q4 2012:

Median monthly rent $718

Median monthly mortgage payment: $481

(is this a great country or what?)

I'm paying more to rent a ROOM than the median homeowner pays to own a HOUSE

Monthly Rent Vs Monthly Mortgage Payment - Business Insider
Slightly misleading. For that mortgage guy? Add in taxes, Insurance, and home repairs and upkeep. My actual mortgage payment represents about half my monthly payment.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
If you believe only a school can give you marketable job skills, it's no wonder why you haven't progressed.

If you want to become a lawyer or accountant, employers don't want homebrews.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
If you want to become a lawyer or accountant, employers don't want homebrews.
ROFLMAO.

Once again, I can see why you haven't been able to progress in a career.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

Once again, I can see why you haven't been able to progress in a career.
Trying to remember.....PedroMartinez, are you the poster that got started hanging wallpaper?

Not sure. If so its a pretty relevant story, If not-short version is...it doesn't take specific degrees to get ahead. They help, but the real thing is finding a niche.

The problem freemkt faces is just how deep in the poverty hole he is if I recall.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:12 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yeah, for about 6 months to a year, when the market adjusts and they're right back where they were. Again, not one time has an increase in minimum wage resulted in a long term improvement of lifestyle for minimum wage earners. You could raise the minimum wage to $50 an hour, but it would still be minimum wage and those making minimum wage would still be at the bottom of the economic totem pole. Want a "living wage"? Go find a job that pays more than minimum wage.
Show me evidence that this has happened just because you say it does not make it true. Like I said before of course min wage increases have not helped because getting .25 to .50 raises is not enough to make an impact. Many people do work jobs that make more then min wage but are still in poverty telling them to go find a job that pays more is just ignoring what is going on in this country and the many reasons people can not make more but you do not want to seem to have a real converstation just throw out tired Right Wing logic.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Trying to remember.....PedroMartinez, are you the poster that got started hanging wallpaper?

Not sure. If so its a pretty relevant story, If not-short version is...it doesn't take specific degrees to get ahead. They help, but the real thing is finding a niche.

The problem freemkt faces is just how deep in the poverty hole he is if I recall.
When I was going to junior college in Houston, I hung wallpaper. I had been working in retail for Mervyns department store for close to minimum wage. I took a free class and then volunteered at a store to hang their displays and made about $25 per hour doing it for a few years.

I then transferred to UT in Austin. At that point, I pretty much stopped paper hanging due to an internship and working at a restaurant where I was able to make about $20 an hour waiting tables.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Show me evidence that this has happened just because you say it does not make it true. Like I said before of course min wage increases have not helped because getting .25 to .50 raises is not enough to make an impact. Many people do work jobs that make more then min wage but are still in poverty telling them to go find a job that pays more is just ignoring what is going on in this country and the many reasons people can not make more but you do not want to seem to have a real converstation just throw out tired Right Wing logic.
I already showed you that data, a couple of pages ago. And once again, even when minimum wage went up by nearly a dollar, it resulted in no long term improvement for minimum wage earners. But please, explain how it's "right wing logic" to expect and encourage people to work at making themselves better than what they currently are. I can't wait to hear this one...

Old 06-02-2015, 03:27 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

No, the problem freemkt faces - as with most who complain about minimum wage and then argue against every suggestion as to how to improve their situation - is an unwillingness to actually do anything about his current situation. The poverty hole can be gotten out of, it just takes effort that most people are unwilling to put out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies