Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
edit 4: Also after excluding people working part time by shifting the table to start at $15K I'm surprised on a personal level in that my lowest salary was much closer to the bottom than I thought and my current much closer to the top. Cool to be able to see the progress like that, puts it more in context than raw dollars. Guess that makes me one of the minority who thought that wage levels were more unequal than they really are .
The top data is somewhat interesting in that it increases a lot more rapidly then you would expect. The difference between a 1%'er and a .1%er is...half the income (and more of the wealth) goes to the .1% of the 1% group. And probably the same thing happens as you keep going to the top. So while you may reach the top 1% you are far far far removed from the .1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:27 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You saying that a raise will help for a little while but things will catch up is not evidence that is just your opinon. It is right wing logic because that is what they say while ignoring things like how the economy is, if people are smart enough to do more and that there are just not enough jobs for everyone to move up it is just being ignorant.
So, it's right wing logic to refuse to accept the standard excuses from people who are too lazy to put in the effort required to make more than minimum wage. Gotcha.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Oh we know, it makes it easier to look down on minimum wage jobs and call those working them as lazy....a lazy person would be one who doesn't bother to work. A trust fund kid is typically much lazier than someone working minimum wage and trying to get by.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh we know, it makes it easier to look down on minimum wage jobs and call those working them as lazy....a lazy person would be one who doesn't bother to work. A trust fund kid is typically much lazier than someone working minimum wage and trying to get by.
People who are able but don't bother to work are called parasites, who overwhelming vote for Democrats.

Some people working for the minimum wage are lazy, some are just incapable of doing anything else, others have work ethics problems.

I have never seen a hardworking, capable person without any work ethics issues stays in minimum wage for more than a few months. In my years of managing production, I must have been through a few hundreds of them.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
People who are able but don't bother to work are called parasites, who overwhelming vote for Democrats.

Some people working for the minimum wage are lazy, some are just incapable of doing anything else, others have work ethics problems.

I have never seen a hardworking, capable person without any work ethics issues stays in minimum wage for more than a few months. In my years of managing production, I must have been through a few hundreds of them.
The first part is false, most people who don't work range all over the political spectrum and many of them don't vote at all. Thanks for fueling that myth though.

The length of time one works a minimum wage job isn't the issue or the topic. What one does after working a minimum wage job is their own personal matter.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
No, people who work minimum wage jobs without trying to move up or move on even though they are capable of doing better and complain about making minimum wage are lazy. Trust fund kids usually aren't working for minimum wage and aren't part of this conversation.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No, people who work minimum wage jobs without trying to move up or move on even though they are capable of doing better and complain about making minimum wage are lazy. Trust fund kids usually aren't working for minimum wage and aren't part of this conversation.
Trust fund kids typically aren't working, thus the definition of lazy....someone who is putting on pants and going to work a job regardless of pay is no longer considered lazy. Sorry, but I am not like you, I don't look down on others who are working a job just because they might make less than me.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Trust fund kids typically aren't working, thus the definition of lazy....someone who is putting on pants and going to work a job regardless of pay is no longer considered lazy. Sorry, but I am not like you, I don't look down on others who are working a job just because they might make less than me.
I don't look down on people who make less than me. I look down on people who don't try to improve their situation and just complain about it.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I don't look down on people who make less than me. I look down on people who don't try to improve their situation and just complain about it.
Yet your posts contradict yourself. Just because someone betters themselves doesn't mean those minimum wage jobs disappear, and it the purchasing power of those jobs continues to shrink as inflation grows. Eventually we will get to the point that it makes more sense to be unemployed and live off the government than to work a job that has no value to it, thus making it even harder for those people to improve their situation.

Currently in the US, one would need to work 60 hours of minimum wage at least in order to put a roof over their head and food on the table, leaving them with very little time to improving their situation.

Having people make more so that they can afford the time to improve their income levels is a smart thing for everyone, even if some people look down on those making the least.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times
Quote:
So you just assume every person is availble to improve your situation cause if you believe that you do not live in the real world but it is easier to just blame people for their situation then try to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies