Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 02:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Tesla doesn't need to be super sound (it certainly could have been better) and it doesn't even have to endure - but, it needs to open up the way for itself and others to do something better and different. That, alone, is a worthy investment. Companies left to their own invest almost nothing until they see someone have success with it. Once that success - even though it may be a limited success - will be built upon and then the rewards come.
I added that it served its purpose but it was expensive investment with little return except that now we get to buy the products we helped create and make these companies richer.

I'm pretty sure it would've been a different story had the govt taken at minimum a stake ownership and demanded the company actually make something other than a niche toy for the well to do. Then again Nissan did it with out that push.

Also that company Dane cited, while good, goes up and down like a yo-yo. It closes up shop and reopens more in places around the globe searching for demand which is rare for an energy company.

I don't get the fear in actually owning stake in industries we champion? Every advanced capitalist country has a portfolio of companies they own stake in and it funds the sovereign welfare. That's better than playing cat and mouse with the corporations over taxes. It's not seen as "Stalinism" in other countries. I used to know a guy who worked for a french energy company which was majority owned by the government. He told me the company also owns private utility subsidiaries in the UK and Spain. This is how the rest of the world makes their money yet we have to have this ideological purity.

It's not even pure cus we subsidize risks and let the companies privatize the gains! We get nothing except the right to purchase those products back at a higher cost. So these companies come out winning. That's why they think a politician is the best investment for them.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Lolz.... Take a look around you.... Where'd telecommunications be without government subsidies? Aviation? Medicine? Transportation? Seriously..... You live in a different reality....
You act like people are helpless without the government.

Quote:
Based on what?
Based on millions of inventions over the years. Henry Ford didn't require the government to create a car. The Wright brothers to create flight.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Well when you start speaking more about the vast waste in the military industrial complex then your other complaints will be taken more seriously. We are undergoing the biggest military boondoggle in history so refocus your priorities.
I've probably complained about the wars more than anyone here.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You act like people are helpless without the government.

Based on millions of inventions over the years. Henry Ford didn't require the government to create a car. The Wright brothers to create flight.
You think companies always have the time and money to invest in research and development for new drugs and vaccines, or high tech? I think it was Ralph Nader that first brought it to national attention that the govt provides over 40% of all R&D for big pharma. Defense would be no where without the cash cow that is the DoD.

We would have no high tech industry without the initial investments by the military.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You think companies always have the time and money to invest in research and development for new drugs and vaccines, or high tech? I think it was Ralph Nader that first brought it to national attention that the govt provides over 40% of all R&D for big pharma. Defense would be no where without the cash cow that is the DoD.
Defense has no business being as big as it is and if the taxpayers funded the development of a drug, why should they have to pay $260 for a treatment of it?

Quote:
We would have no high tech industry without the initial investments by the military.
I disagree and on top of that, much of it isnt even needed.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Defense has no business being as big as it is and if the taxpayers funded the development of a drug, why should they have to pay $260 for a treatment of it?
According to you, why shouldn't defense be as big? What's the libertarian approach?

With regards to the development of a drug, that's a question Nader asked too.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
According to you, why shouldn't defense be as big? What's the libertarian approach?
Protect our borders, not the borders of other countries.

Quote:
With regards to the development of a drug, that's a question Nader asked too.
I can assume no one answered him?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:27 PM

To go back to the OP, the big reason why I rag on Musk is because of his pompous hair brained schemes that drive up his stock. He proposed a hyper loop they would whisk you from LA to SF in thirty mins! What human would travel at that velocity in constant extremely close proximity to terrestrial solid objects. Next he tells people his loop could be done at one tenth of the price of the LA-SF high speed railway already proposed. The loop would be made from the extremely specialized forms of the motors used in Tesla cars but also an unspecified source of solar self-power. The gullibility of the mainstream press and yuppies everywhere knows no bounds.

I don't even see the big gain from the US taxpayer funding Tesla motors just to get EVs on the market, especially if almost 90% of electricity is still made from coal, natural gas, and nuclear power.

Real change requires total restructuring. It's a massive effort. It shouldn't be put into the hands billionaires with eccentric hobbies.

Especially ones that conveniently position their company right for massive pumping up of stock at the uttering of any word Musk says. I would've been embarrassed after Barclays called him out on how impossible it would have been for him to churn out millions of EVs by 2025. He was off by more than half a million according to them.

I mean why do liberals keep excising this blatant corporate welfare guy and his subsidized companies? Because its slick and green and hip?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:28 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Isn't Musk a libertarian too? If he is, that's pretty damn ironic haha. I think even he would admit that NASA is a good use of government though.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:38 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Isn't Musk a libertarian too? If he is, that's pretty damn ironic haha. I think even he would admit that NASA is a good use of government though.
I hope you didnt believe him if so claimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies