Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

Truly pathetic story.

The first mistake the school district made was this:

"To kick it off, St. Paul spent more than $1 million on Pacific Educational Group, a San Francisco consulting firm that purports to create "racially conscious and socially just" schools." They should have put the money to work IN the school, not lining the pocket of a consulting firm halfway across the country that likely knew little about the inner-workings of the district.

A successful school realizes that the road to success involves PARENTS, teachers, and students. If parents are NOT actively engaged in their child's education, that road becomes much more treacherous. Keep up this nonsense -- like what was outlined in the story -- and schools will become segregated all over again: private schools where learning takes place, and public schools where babysitting takes place.

I was raised in a family of educators (dad was a VP of a college in FL, and a principal when I was in K-6; my uncle was the superintendent of the county I went to school in; numerous aunts and uncles were teachers), so my teachers didn't have to worry about me acting up. My father would have beat the hell out of me if I behaved like any of these thug-boys in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
What a nightmare. Those poor teachers, and the kids that are there to learn.....I think any kid who is causing the kind of violent havoc written about in this article....the parents should have to come and sit in the classroom with them for a week. This is pathetic.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
What a nightmare. Those poor teachers, and the kids that are there to learn.....I think any kid who is causing the kind of violent havoc written about in this article....the parents should have to come and sit in the classroom with them for a week. This is pathetic.
The sad truth is.......the vast majority of those parents don't give a damn. If they did, their kids wouldn't behave like they do.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
In some ways it almost sounds like they want to run the schools in a Japanese style. Sending kids out of classrooms for discipline or suspending them is rare here, and teachers are expected to build relationships with students and mold their behavior. It's a tough job. Students do misbehave, and some classrooms do get out of control. But on the whole it works well, because Japanese schools are full of Japanese kids. St. Paul schools however are not.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Most of the comments below the article are similar to the ones in this thread. But get of load of this guy:

Weston Musachio ·
Pre-K Teacher at Saint Paul Public Schools

I wanted to give a counter-narrative to the story above, as well as to some of the comments made about black and brown students in St. Paul Public Schools and the racial equity work taking place there.

As a white, male racial equity leader and teacher in Saint Paul Public Schools I began my journey of racial equity work five years ago when I first attended Beyond Diversity with my colleagues. That was a starting point for self-reflection to examine my conscious and unconscious biases about the black and brown students in my classroom and the impact those biases were having on the student success. Today, as I examine my whiteness and what parts of my whiteness I bring into my classroom, I can adjust my teaching practices to better serve the students I teach. The positive changes that have happened in my classroom are not because my black and brown students have changed, they are great they way they are. The changes have been a direct impact of my ability to reflect, isolate race, seek out multiple perspectives and examine the presence of whiteness.

Due to this work, I now engage in courageous conversations with my colleagues, friends and family. It is through these conversations about race I gain multiple perspectives that help me better work with all students. For me this work is a personal journey. I feel proud of my part in this work and hope for my own children to become future equity leaders.

I believe that the teachers and parents in the article are speaking their truth about race. I believe that I need to continue to have courageous conversations to offer a different perspective as well as listen to perspectives that are different than my own. I am not alone in this work. I have many colleagues in St. Paul Public Schools that are also engaged in the racial equity work and are making changes in their teaching as well. We are committed as educators to interrupt the systems that lead to predictable outcomes for the black and brown students in our classrooms.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Most of the comments below the article are similar to the ones in this thread. But get of load of this guy:

Weston Musachio ·

I wanted to give a counter-narrative to the story above, as well as to some of the comments made about black and brown students in St. Paul Public Schools and the racial equity work taking place there.

As a white, male racial equity leader and teacher in Saint Paul Public Schools I began my journey of racial equity work five years ago when I first attended Beyond Diversity with my colleagues. That was a starting point for self-reflection to examine my conscious and unconscious biases about the black and brown students in my classroom and the impact those biases were having on the student success. Today, as I examine my whiteness and what parts of my whiteness I bring into my classroom, I can adjust my teaching practices to better serve the students I teach. The positive changes that have happened in my classroom are not because my black and brown students have changed, they are great they way they are. The changes have been a direct impact of my ability to reflect, isolate race, seek out multiple perspectives and examine the presence of whiteness.

Due to this work, I now engage in courageous conversations with my colleagues, friends and family. It is through these conversations about race I gain multiple perspectives that help me better work with all students. For me this work is a personal journey. I feel proud of my part in this work and hope for my own children to become future equity leaders.

I believe that the teachers and parents in the article are speaking their truth about race. I believe that I need to continue to have courageous conversations to offer a different perspective as well as listen to perspectives that are different than my own. I am not alone in this work. I have many colleagues in St. Paul Public Schools that are also engaged in the racial equity work and are making changes in their teaching as well. We are committed as educators to interrupt the systems that lead to predictable outcomes for the black and brown students in our classrooms.
I'd yank my kids out of any school employing a creep like that. He isn't educating, he's indoctrinating. And how self serving he is, congratulating himself on how courageous he is.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
These two paragraphs will give you a good idea:

"Two years ago, kids who'd spent their academic lives in specialized classrooms for behavioral issues and cognitive disabilities were mainstreamed into general classes, along with all the kids who spoke English as a second language. More than 3,000 made the transition.

The district also shifted its thinking on discipline, influenced by data that showed black kids being suspended at alarming rates. Such punishment would now come as a last resort. Instead, disruptive or destructive students would essentially receive a 20-minute timeout, receive counseling by a "behavioral coach," then return to class when they calmed down."

The result? Chaos. Although, to be fair, I'm guessing it was bad before. Now it is much worse, according to teachers and parents.
Why not quote the actual result then ????

Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:

Weston Musachio ·

Ugh! What a LOAD of academic bullsh*t!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:41 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:

Weston Musachio ·

I also examined my whiteness.

I discovered that as a white person I generally behave in a responsible manner and seek out ways to be productive and cooperative with others.

I almost always obey the law/rules and avoid confrontations with those in authority whenever possible.

I sure am lucky to be white!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Careful...not supposed to go there.
Why not? That idiot Gumbel, married to a white woman, whined about no black people in the Winter Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies