Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

This is just another polarizing racially based article.

It is sad really. The author is insinuating that the whole disciplinary program and the whole district reform police is specifically about racial equity. I call foul on it.

I will be honest and state that I doubt most of the responders here even read the whole blog post it is really long. It is just a "blame the blacks and disabled" kids. Just another symptom of the racial issues of America IMO.

This article starts out by animalizing black children into wild animals:

Quote:
The kid stares at Brandt with chilling intensity. He points at the older man, fingers bent in the shape of a gun, and shoots. Then moves on.

Within Harding's corridors is a turbulent clutter of students who push and cuss and bully their way from one end of the building to another. Brandt, a finalist for Minnesota's Teacher of the Year and a 20-year veteran of the English department, doubles as a hall monitor. It is his job to somehow tame them.
The article characterizes a child like he is a crazy criminal or rabid animal, even though later on in the article Mr. Brandt never speaks to the idea that he is afraid of the students or that he needs to "tame" them.

Also the article attempts to make a black versus Asian thing in regards to the Hmong population. It does mention that the Hmong has lower testing scores and academic achievement than whites as well in the district, but the author doesn't mention any good black children or the fact that the majority of black kids are not trouble makers.

He also alludes to the "study" that showed that black boys and girls are punished more harshly than white children yet doesn't mention that it is due to exhibiting the same misbehavior in public schools as white children and that many times white chilldren who behave worse than black children are not punished as severely as a black child.

This study is more than likely the reason for some of the reforms at the schools in St. Paul. Instead of automatically suspending the boy who used his hand to shoot a gun, the teacher spoke to him about it. Why should a child get suspended for that. Plenty of boys do this. All the boys I know, no matter ethnicity, do this with their hands, sticks, rocks, toy guns, etc.

It is too bad that so many people like to racially polarize everything and attempt to continue the system that places black people in an inferior position and then be okay with that. The author of this piece is racially biased and is spreading racial bias and too many people will agree with him because they share those same biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Wanted to also mention that discipline in schools can still occur. I'm not in MN but the article did mention they still have suspension and they have the option of sending kids out of the classroom.

I grew up in the inner city and I went to low to middle income public schools my entire life. In high school, I would bet we had many more issues than most high schools today as gangs were much more prominent and violent crime also occurred on a regular basis.

the faux horrible circumstances described in the blog are nothing compared to what happened at my high school - gang riots between rival factions (bloods/gangsta discliples), "jumpings" occurring with the most ferocity happening with the female gang members. I remember one incident where a group of about 10-15 girls jumped on a girl gang member at my school and hit her upside the head with a metal crowbar and left her for dead, bleeding on the sidewalk outside of school (and FYI, all of the offenders were not black, they were mostly hispanic as the hispanic girl gangs were ferocious in our area). I remember once a group of guys got mad our basketball team beat their school and came to our school to start fights (this happened regularly during basketball season) and they beat up a guy and threw him over the balcony from the 2nd floor where he fell to the basement. lluckily our wrestling team had been practicing the night before and left a large stack of mats in that area and the guy landed on the mats and didn't die. He did break some bones from the fall, which was about a 30 feet drop. I could go on and on about the outrageous, violence that happened at my school.

But you know what, our school also every year did a sweep where they took all the low performing kids (those making below a 1.0 GPA) and those who had significant issues with violence, and they expelled them. The kids had the option of going to the remediate high school in our city and if they did satisfactory they could come back. This occurrence alleviated a lot of disruptions in the classrooms and halls. And contrary to what many may believe, most of the kids kicked out were white. I knew a lot of white people involved in gangs and drugs especially who got into a lot of trouble and luckily our school didn't just see black and automatically make us wild untameable animals.

The schools in St. Paul could easily do that instead of what they are doing if it is not working. But there is no information in the OP article that indicates what they are doing isn't working.

I actually do like seeing all kids have the option to receive a decent education. But I REALLY hate it when race is used by people as a way to demonize blacks who aren't behavioral problems and who perform well in school, which is over 90% of black students, yet Hmong students who are under performing are being encouraged to stay the course, even though they are also performing poorly and there are actually Hmong gangs.

So again, this is just a race bait article. It is pretty sickening that people buy into this stuff on a regular basis in today's society.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:31 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
This alone is an argument against the Obama administration. What a ridiculous policy. And it will only exacerbate racial segregation in the schools. Which is already the standard, but this will only make it worse.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:34 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
A lot of words without much meaning. Words like disaster, or out of control, etc mean different things to different people. Are there more fights or violence in those schools? We don't know because no numbers were supplied, are students grades suffering? We don't know because no numbers were supplied.

Is there any big change in school policy that will be embraced and seen as a universal great thing?

Merely having some teachers or some parents express an opinion with words that have no context or meaning is kind of a waste of time.

I guess for the OP this proves the answer is to suspend, expel more black students, that'll make things better for everyone involved?

For me it reveals nothing other than people are complaining maybe justifiably so and they disagree and maybe justifiably so, but without actual numbers without an actual complete picture, we don't know what those complaints may mean.
Yes, it will make things better for the kids who actually want to learn.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
I could not find any videos of a White student beating up a Black teacher. All of the violent interracial student on teacher beating videos on Youtube are Black students fists connecting to White teachers faces.

If a White student pounding a Black teacher's face did happen, you can bet it would get round the clock national news coverage as well as Black Twitter blowing up with hashtags "Black Teachers Lives Matter". Depending on the gender of the Black teacher beat up by the White student if it was a male for example, Barack Obama would hold a White House press conference saying that if he was teacher he would look like the poor defenseless Black man beat up by the thuggish White student in the classroom.

Black thuggish students beating up White teachers however get little to no news coverage. Best case scenario is it might get a quick 60 seconds worth of coverage on the local news 1 time, only to never be heard from again. It definitely would not reach national media.
This is about if a White student hit a Black teacher. Why was the race of either persons that important? If a student is punching a teacher, expel the kid. Race isn't relevant.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This point is so clear and so easily made it almost seems too obvious to bother with. But what else can you do in discussions like this but keep pounding it home? Maybe someday it will sink in with enough people to make a difference.
What point? That "Blacks are a problem in society and need to be treated more harshly"? That isn't literally what anyone has said yet, but I get the feeling that some people feel this way.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
This alone is an argument against the Obama administration. What a ridiculous policy. And it will only exacerbate racial segregation in the schools. Which is already the standard, but this will only make it worse.
Actually, violence in schools has been a problem going back to even my father's high school days in the late 60s/early 70s. And in those days they used spanking in school. Didn't stop some kids in his school from being violent.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is about if a White student hit a Black teacher. Why was the race of either persons that important? If a student is punching a teacher, expel the kid. Race isn't relevant.
Race is only important for liberals. It's their main tool to promote an agenda and their excuse for like 99% of everything.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Race is only important for liberals. It's their main tool to promote an agenda and their excuse for like 99% of everything.
And there are conservatives, especially here are CD using race and considering it very important.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
A professor argues in the NYT against the radical egalitarian policies that led to the mess described in the OP, saying America needs more, not fewer, black kids in special education, even if that means they are disproportionally placed in these programs.

Quote:
Is Special Education Racist?
MORE than six million children in the United States receive special-education services for their disabilities. Of those age 6 and older, nearly 20 percent are black.

Critics claim that this high number — blacks are 1.4 times more likely to be placed in special education than other races and ethnicities combined — shows that black children are put into special education because schools are racially biased.

But our new research suggests just the opposite. The real problem is that black children are underrepresented in special-education classes when compared with white children with similar levels of academic achievement, behavior and family economic resources.

The belief that black children are overrepresented in special education is driving some misguided attempts at policy changes. To flag supposed racial bias in special-education placement, the
United States Department of Education is thinking of adopting a single standard for all states of what is an allowable amount of overrepresentation of minority children...
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/24/op...ht-region&_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies