Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,556 times

Advertisements

UK Haredi rabbis ban women drivers | The Times of Israel

May someone shed some light on this? I'm curious as to the theological reasoning behind the ban? Obviously not (and probably most) Jewish sects disagree with this ban but I'm curious as to what causes such a schism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
It appears to meet local standards. These folks don't read newspapers or have Internet. They won't hear you complain, and I suspect this has the full support of the women in the community. For outsiders to have an opinion is a waste of your time. Let them do what they want. There are no victims here.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
It appears to meet local standards. These folks don't read newspapers or have Internet. They won't hear you complain, and I suspect this has the full support of the women in the community. For outsiders to have an opinion is a waste of your time. Let them do what they want. There are no victims here.
I'm not complaining nor criticizing. Just a curious Ishmaelite who wants to know what the scriptual and theological variance is here between them and other Jewish sects and groups.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I'm not complaining nor criticizing. Just a curious Ishmaelite who wants to know what the scriptual and theological variance is here between them and other Jewish sects and groups.
Jews like to emulate Sarah, Abraham's wife. She had great Middos (character traits), foremost of which was her modesty. Doesn't matter level of Observance, it all comes from the same source.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Jews like to emulate Sarah, Abraham's wife. She had great Middos (character traits), foremost of which was her modesty. Doesn't matter level of Observance, it all comes from the same source.
I see. So I imagine the level of observance will then lead itself to more conservative interpretations of what constitutes modesty? I'm just curious as to why not driving a car = modesty? I understand the Saudi explanation for it but wondering about the Jewish thought here.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I see. So I imagine the level of observance will then lead itself to more conservative interpretations of what constitutes modesty? I'm just curious as to why not driving a car = modesty? I understand the Saudi explanation for it but wondering about the Jewish thought here.
I'm not particularly sure either how not driving a car = modesty. But I assure you this is a non story. I always doubt the intent of writing (or posting) a story on Jewish culture, when they pick unusual customs like the one above. Surely you meant no ill intent. Not sure I can say the same for the publication that chose to pay a writer to write that article.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Not the first time as it already existed in the US.

Quote:
often involving dubious ways of repressing women in the name of modesty (women not driving, women having to shave their hair when they get married) – with real halachic prohibitions (such as not keeping Shabbat or kosher) that is the problem here. The women – and men – in these communities are not even taught the difference between real Torah prohibitions and community-specific interdictions. Thus, they grow into adulthood fully believing that if a woman learns to drive a car, she’s well-nigh breaking a Torah commandment.
https://rebeccainspace.wordpress.com...owed-to-drive/

Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,050,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Not the first time as it already existed in the US.

https://rebeccainspace.wordpress.com...owed-to-drive/
That is cr-razy~!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:57 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
North London is my 2nd home. There have long been tensions between the modern Orthodox and Haredi populations and this is no exception. My modern Orthodox friends have taken to Facebook to express how embarrassed and outraged they are, not to mention how these actions add fuel to the antisemitic fire. Shame.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
North London is my 2nd home. There have long been tensions between the modern Orthodox and Haredi populations and this is no exception. My modern Orthodox friends have taken to Facebook to express how embarrassed and outraged they are, not to mention how these actions add fuel to the antisemitic fire. Shame.
Interesting. The Chareidi in those neighborhoods have refrained from going to the Internet to speak badly of their fellow Jews. Different hashkafos, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies