Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 02:20 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,939,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, war hero is a good example of courage. It is AN example, if people use war hero as an example, doesn't mean they believe hero should be limited to one group of people.

Today we sometimes toss the word "hero" around without thinking much about it, so hero and courage lost some true meaning. I think this is the point most people in this thread are trying to make.
Okay, gotcha. This whole thing isn't about people passive-aggressively insulting a marginalized population, it's about good, noble people who don't want the sanctity of the word "hero" devalued and want to make sure the Espy is kept in the utmost regard. Circling back to our argument for the 157th time, some people do indeed find Jenner's actions to be courageous, and to some, a hero. Even if you don't think their use of the word is appropriate.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
anyone see this last night. Link coming when I can post from somewhere other than this smartphone.

Cringeworthy. That is the best way to describe the spectacle on ABC last night.
No, don't watch much tv. This afternoon, I heard a clip on sports radio. I heard a man speaking, just sayin'.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:22 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Okay, gotcha. This whole thing isn't about people passive-aggressively insulting a marginalized population, it's about good, noble people who don't want the sanctity of the word "hero" devalued and want to make sure the Espy is kept in the utmost regard. Circling back to our argument for the 157th time, some people do indeed find Jenner's actions to be courageous, and to some, a hero. Even if you don't think their use of the word is appropriate.
This video is actually pretty fair and balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBHxExAafM

Old 07-16-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
..because you are doing a great job addressing the awful comments, aren't you?
Yes, I've been trying to call people out for their comments against transgenders. Have you? Or are you just going after me for saying the same thing as you? As I've taken the time to address you, multiple people have continued to post hateful comments.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:23 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
I think it's more about putting caitlyn in the same category as someone like pat tillman. someone who was involved in sports, making millions of dollars, and gave it up to fight in a war that took his life.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
This video is actually pretty fair and balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBHxExAafM
I think the video is totally reasonable discussion about the subject, and they bring up good points without being mean. It doesn't have to be one or the other, not everything is a binary choice-there are room for more heroes, even if they're inspirational for different reasons. And not everyone agrees as to who they find to be courageous. We all face unique struggles in life- I just think that some people are being extremely unsympathetic to a very marginalized population, that's it.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:31 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Yes, I've been trying to call people out for their comments against transgenders. Have you? Or are you just going after me for saying the same thing as you? As I've taken the time to address you, multiple people have continued to post hateful comments.
I chose to ignore the "hateful" and ignorant posts that are not worthy of my time.
Like this one

Quote:
Oh, beat it with the stupid.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:34 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I still don't care about the award. what part of that are you not getting? who the hell watches award shows? how old are you? I saw this because it was on ESPN's homepage. do you think I was up watching the ESPY's and eating popcorn?
But you're the one who keeps making post after post about this subject aren't you?? I see a ton of post on this site that I don't care about and I don't even click on them.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:35 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
I think the video is totally reasonable discussion about the subject, and they bring up good points without being mean. It doesn't have to be one or the other, not everything is a binary choice-there are room for more heroes, even if they're inspirational for different reasons. And not everyone agrees as to who they find to be courageous. We all face unique struggles in life- I just think that some people are being extremely unsympathetic to a very marginalized population, that's it.
Bingo, I completely agree!!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:36 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
But you're the one who keeps making post after post about this subject aren't you?? I see a ton of post on this site that I don't care about and I don't even click on them.
I am responding to people responding to me. what can I say, I have time on my hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies