Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times

Advertisements

That was a great article. I have pondered many of the same things since Bruce has "come out" and become a constant topic in the media. What is the difference between the brain of a man and a woman? I admit that I don't really get it. I do find the focus of makeup, dresses, heels, fancy hairstyles, etc. to be insulting. All of those things are irrelevant to being a woman. I also agree with the author that men who later in life decide to change their gender (I still think it's debateable that it's even possible) have not truly experienced what it is really like to be a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 01:16 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,410,318 times
What makes a woman? According to my former basic biology class, by definition, a woman has XX chromosomes, but science changes with new discoveries and there are always potential exceptions.

For example, XX males or XY females (see androgen insensitivity syndrome). Additionally, an abnormal number of sex chromosomes (aneuploidy) may be present, such as Turner's syndrome, in which a single X chromosome is present, and Klinefelter's syndrome, in which two X chromosomes and a Y chromosome are present.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-08-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 01:17 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,598 times
Maybe it's with living with the Kardashians all this time , watching them getting dolled up , hair & makeup , I think he was a bit jealous and wanted to do dress-up himself .

Old 06-08-2015, 01:20 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are differences between men and women. And not just physical ones. The difference may be less severe in any one particular person because of the way they developed but overall in the big picture there are differences.
This is an interesting point and one that I don't disagree with. I have seen the differences in young children, male and female but how far do these differences go in determining one's gender? I've also met young boys who have interests that seem more typical for girls (playing with dolls, playing dress up with dresses and makeup and the like) but even so, they are still boys. I don't really understand why men can't express their feminine side while still remaining men. I admit that this whole topic confuses me but just my thoughts.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,598 times
As professor Higgins said, Why can't a woman be more like a man ?

Old 06-08-2015, 03:41 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,400,656 times
It starts with sugar and spice and everything nice.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,022,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Hooray - an article where the author doesn't understand the difference between gender identity and gender expression.

Both men and women can do whatever they would like, regardless of how masculine or feminine these activities are, and remain men or women.

Transgender occurs when the biological sex and the gender identity of a person do not match. It's only tangentially related to gender expression.
So can one say that a trans-man is biologically a women but expresses their gender as female? But wouldn't their expression be grounded in some standard of gender (which is reinforced by the difference in biological sex)? It just seems to end up being meaningless if one tries to fundamentally deny gender and then claim that ones gender is the opposite sex.

I'm so confused. Does any of this make sense?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
They do and scientists have known it for a very long time.

This is a classic example of how liberals hate science.
Absolutely, they do! As a woman I have functioned in the business world, sports world and many other areas where man dominates. I learned when I was very young between 18 and 20 that a woman that wants to become successful in a "man's world" for lack of a better description must teach herself to actually "think" like a man. And...that works extremely well. Any intelligent woman can teach herself to do that, but still retain femininity to the nth degree.

I find that the way men think works extremely better than the way women think for most business entities plus certain areas of life. And we are speaking in general here...each individual is different, both men and women. Tons of variables impact the ability of women to be able to accomplish this or not, but those that do are really good at what they do. Then, men...hmmmm, some are successful and some are not. VBG I am fortunate and count my blessings that I am married to a fantastic man. Life is great!

Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,331,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Absolutely, they do! As a woman I have functioned in the business world, sports world and many other areas where man dominates. I learned when I was very young between 18 and 20 that a woman that wants to become successful in a "man's world" for lack of a better description must teach herself to actually "think" like a man. And...that works extremely well. Any intelligent woman can teach herself to do that, but still retain femininity to the nth degree.

I find that the way men think works extremely better than the way women think for most business entities plus certain areas of life. And we are speaking in general here...each individual is different, both men and women. Tons of variables impact the ability of women to be able to accomplish this or not, but those that do are really good at what they do. Then, men...hmmmm, some are successful and some are not. VBG I am fortunate and count my blessings that I am married to a fantastic man. Life is great!
My wife was the G.M. of one store in a chain of large upscale department stores in San Diego (based in Long Beach), Buffum's. She managed three different stores in that chain (not at the same time). I'm very proud of her accomplishment. She worked her way up from "associate" working the floor, to Area Manager, to Assistant Store Manager to G.M.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,317,273 times
Yes, there are differences between men and women, but there are mistakes in nature. What about the child born without genitalia who is raised as a girl? Then, later when chromosome tests are done the child is male. How many kids are born one sex that inside identify with the other sex? I don't have the answers, and I believe Jenner is into the attention, but I do think there truly are people born the wrong sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies