Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,237,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
All rights are voted on at some point.

The Bill of Rights was ratified by the states.

There is no unwritten right of the minority to invent rights as they see fit.

As for Loving, it violated the Fourteenth Amendment because it only outlawed mixed marriages in which one of the partners was white.

The Fourteenth Amendment was ratified by the states.

That means it was voted on.

You don`t get to invent your own bill of gay rights.

You don`t get to overrule the people because you didn`t get what you wanted.
Yep, the interracial marriage bans were found to violate the 14th on the basis of the race of the people getting married.
SSM bans will be found to be violating the 14th on the basis of the sex of the people getting married.

States can not discriminate based on race or sex.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:26 AM

1,349 posts, read 665,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think these polls is why gays where so shocked when vote ran against them in California. One reason we do not elect by polls. Often the question asked skews the results.
I would also have thought of another factor.

Among this majority the polls show, only a small minority are fervently defending it.

Most don't care or don't see the problem with it but are not actively "militant" so one could assume lots wouldn't even bother to go and vote since they just don't mind.

If you ask them what they think, they'd say "yes, sure, why not?" but as to go out and vote on it? Don't forget even in a presidential election, the turn out is extremely low in the USA for a western democracy (roughly 40% abstention) so for a vote that they don't feel personnally concerned with?

On the contrary, very militant opponents to it will probably have a BIG turn-out.

Since at the time, the approvalwas much lower than now, that is sure to have an influence on the ballot, no?

And even if it is significantly higher now, the factor I'm explaining would certainly have a big influence too.

ETA : it's only an added explanation for the Californian vote that I meant to share. Of course, I don't think the majority should vote on a minority's rights anyway.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,061,593 times
Quote:
If by "good news" you mean bull ****, I agree.

Polls showed PROP 8 going down 55/38.

Opposition to same-sex marriage ban grows - SFGate

That`s why same-sexers now run off to the federal courts seeking to overturn the expressed will of the people.
As one of those "same-sexers" you so despise that is not what I meant at all.

I meant that it's good news that support for SSM is at a record high.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,061,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why should a minority over rule the will of the majority? Hate democracy much?
It's good to know that some people believe in the tyranny of the majority.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,835,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think these polls is why gays where so shocked when vote ran against them in California. One reason we do not elect by polls. Often the question asked skews the results.
This. Same with North Carolina.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:17 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,896,081 times
Default No One Cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Support for Same-Sex Marriage at Record High

"As the Supreme Court prepares to decide a key case involving states’ requirements to recognize same-sex marriage, public support for allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally continues its rapid rise: A 57% majority of Americans now favor allowing same-sex marriage and 39% oppose. As recently as five years ago, more opposed (48%) same-sex marriage than supported it (42%)."

This is good news!
No it is not good News , but rather Moral Decay. Polls can be tweak for any out come.

May be a Civil Union for rights, but never a real marriage. But here we go mans laws willing to pass anything to justify a behavior.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
If by "good news" you mean bull ****, I agree.

Polls showed PROP 8 going down 55/38.

Opposition to same-sex marriage ban grows - SFGate

That`s why same-sexers now run off to the federal courts seeking to overturn the expressed will of the people.
Nice cherry picking. There were at least a dozen polls that I could find in under 10 seconds, none of which showed such a large spread.

It was know that it was going to be a fight and also that right wing religious organizations were dumping enormous amounts of cash into influencing the election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310
Hate the constitution much? One of the founding principles of this nation is that the majority doesn't get to decide the rights of the minority. In fact, the whole notion of rights goes out the window if all that is required to override them is popular opinion.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-11-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,752,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Support for Same-Sex Marriage at Record High

"As the Supreme Court prepares to decide a key case involving states’ requirements to recognize same-sex marriage, public support for allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally continues its rapid rise: A 57% majority of Americans now favor allowing same-sex marriage and 39% oppose. As recently as five years ago, more opposed (48%) same-sex marriage than supported it (42%)."

This is good news!
Sorry but I put no stock into these studies after it was revealed that a major gay marriage study was fabricated and manipulated to create the illusion of support for gays. Of course the media kept quiet about it.

Groundbreaking Study On Gay Marriage Views May Have Been Faked (UPDATE)

Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,794,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
We're not a democracy, we're a Constitutional Republic specifically designed to stop the will of the majority from trumping the rights of the minority. You only support the will of the majority because you're part of the majority. Once you become the minority, you'll be glad the majority can't take away your rights.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:31 PM

906 posts, read 713,904 times
Meh, this issue is much deeper than this...
Religion is being forsaked, but it can not be sustained..

World is changing, but not how people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies