Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems to me that most who oppose CC, find their lil darlings are not performing as well as they thought- the opposite of dumbing down.

No child left behind, made sure, only private schools accelerate academics.
Once again, only the rich can afford a good education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:41 AM

112 posts, read 76,357 times
A number line can also teach different ways to solve subtraction in your head.

623-454

454+46 = 500
623-23 = 600
600-100 = 500

46+23+100 = 169

In any kind of written notation, it looks horrible, but it makes solving these problems in your head much easier to think about it in concepts like using the difference from the nearest 100. Do you want to understand how numbers work or do you want dumb robots who just blindly follow rules.

Oh, I see why people hate common core!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
THAT is a problem. Kids need to UNDERSTAND not just follow steps. The only way my geometry kids know to solve problems with ratios is to cross multiply and divide no matter what the problem looks like. They often make a lot more work for themselves because they don't understand the concept of isolating the variable.

If I give them 2/4 = x/8 they cross multiply and divide. If I give them 4 = x/8 they have no clue what to do. This is one of my pet peeves. I refuse to take the extra step. My students often ask me to just do it that way because that's the way they "understand" it. The problem is they don't understand it. They just follow the steps. They hate it when I just multiply by 8 and do the math. They don't get why I can do that.
I've run into that as well. I do tell them that 4 is the same as 4/1. Have them do a few with the whole number turned into a fraction and then that /1 becomes imaginary and they don't need to do it anymore. It's just a matter of showing them and letting them understand.

That is not done enough in the lower grades. That is where I work.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon X Seaworthy View Post
I think that geometry is an excellent example of what I mean. Kids are taught by rote a series of steps to answer a rather artificial question (and by 'kids' I include most college students...it's funny how much more clear calculus was when I had to answer real questions in a work setting rather than just grind through questions in class) plus they never see that the same answer can be achieved via different methods. The methods, really, just provide a different axis through a kind of solution space and are quite related to each other (if different appearing).

I admit that you have to start somewhere, and this is not dissimilar to the arguments you hit on the best methods for teaching foreign languages.

Given a sparseness of intellectual curiosity in your average human, maybe understanding can only be self-taught in any case.
That is a big problem. Few ask "why".

Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerphx View Post
A number line can also teach different ways to solve subtraction in your head.

623-454

454+46 = 500
623-23 = 600
600-100 = 500

46+23+100 = 169

In any kind of written notation, it looks horrible, but it makes solving these problems in your head much easier to think about it in concepts like using the difference from the nearest 100. Do you want to understand how numbers work or do you want dumb robots who just blindly follow rules.

Oh, I see why people hate common core!
You make it sound as if education pre-Common Core was all wrong and that's hardly accurate.

Euler wasn't educated with Common Core and he did alright

Old 06-14-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You make it sound as if education pre-Common Core was all wrong and that's hardly accurate.

Euler wasn't educated with Common Core and he did alright
I would say that it was all wrong for some students. The same students who excelled with old teaching methods will still probably excel with newer methods.

You shouldn't necessarily use the exceptional genius of one person as the rule.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Leftists want to make everything complicated, even a simple subtraction problem. If you don't think, you will vote for the leftists in both the Democratic Party and the GOP. Democracy exists to inhibit change. Wake up America.

This engineer dad can’t figure out his son’s Common Core math problem | Rare
Except common core was the idea of Republican governors.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/05/2...ed-common.html

Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It cracks me up every time Common Core gets blamed on the 'leftists'.
Every disaster the right creates is blamed on the left just as they blame the left for the Iraq war.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerphx View Post
I would say that it was all wrong for some students. The same students who excelled with old teaching methods will still probably excel with newer methods.

You shouldn't necessarily use the exceptional genius of one person as the rule.
Do you do follow up research to see if your projections are correct ?

Our top students did worse then average Asian students in PISA.

600 for our top students, 613 for China's average students.

We pulled a lot of money out of GT programs to funnel to remediation efforts at the bottom scale.

Top US students fare poorly in international PISA test scores, Shanghai tops the world, Finland slips | Education By The Numbers

Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 AM

Really what that link tells me is that US students have never done exceptionally well.

Program for International Student Assessment (PISA): 2012 Results - Trends in Student Performance—Trends in U.S Performance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies