Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times

Advertisements

Teacher resigns after reading students book about gay couple

Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Good! If they won't allow the Bible to be taught in schools than neither should homosexuality!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:16 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
A third grader "tearfully" recounting how he was called gay by another third grader knew he had been insulted, and only that. The third grader calling the other third grader gay intended it as an insult, and only that.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:20 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
he wasn't reading them a book, he was grooming them.

Good riddance, but don't ban the book.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Teachers are not permitted to use classrooms as a soapbox. As a teacher there is no way I would read a book like that, or any controversial book, without a letter being sent home to parents first. I sent a letter home every year prior to teaching evolution, even though it was part of the established curriculum and it wasn't something they could opt out of - they didn't have a choice. But I found parents are more cooperative and willing to allow their child to be instructed in what they considered controversial topics if they feel they can trust you. It is wrong when teachers or schools dismiss parents' feelings.

He resigned because they were changing the rules, and among other things all books in the future must be on a reading list sent out at the beginning of the year or they have to send a letter to the parents specifically telling them a particular book was being read. If you read any of his previous interviews, according to him that interfered with his purpose in becoming a teacher.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,161 times
He definitely overstepped his boundaries as a teacher. I understand wanting to help a young child he identified with. It is not his place interfere in that way. He should have notified the parents of the bullying and hoped the kid had good loving parents.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:41 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you read any of his previous interviews, according to him that interfered with his purpose in becoming a teacher.
I wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand you, so I looked at other interviews and found this in the Los Angeles Times:

Although his decision to teach the story was upheld by a review committee, the school's principal later ordered teachers to inform parents in advance about books they read to their students. Currie told the Herald-Sun that the new policy was "unrealistic." "[G]reat teachers pull text because it’s right for the moment," he said.

Is this guy for real?

His purpose in becoming a teacher was to share his passion about his personal beliefs? Not to help children learn?

I am ever so glad this narcissist is gone. And I'm sure the parents of Efland are, as well.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand you, so I looked at other interviews and found this in the Los Angeles Times:

Although his decision to teach the story was upheld by a review committee, the school's principal later ordered teachers to inform parents in advance about books they read to their students. Currie told the Herald-Sun that the new policy was "unrealistic." "[G]reat teachers pull text because it’s right for the moment," he said.

Is this guy for real?

His purpose in becoming a teacher was to share his passion about his personal beliefs? Not to help children learn?

I am ever so glad this narcissist is gone. And I'm sure the parents of Efland are, as well.
Maybe he can get a job teaching at the school that takes 11 year olds on field trips to sex toy shops.
That school would be right up his alley.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
Sounds like a bunch of small-minded helicopter parents.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:44 AM

129 posts, read 186,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Good! If they won't allow the Bible to be taught in schools than neither should homosexuality!
The bible is much more graphic and inappropriate than a standard fairy tale that happens to feature a same sex couple.

I actually live in the area where this happened, he read this book as a way to tactfully address bullying where some students were verbally attacking another student for apparently being "effeminate." Some psycho busybody types got upset that Junior and Sally were exposed to a perfectly appropriate story that happened to feature people different than them and teach tolerance, so they made a big stink and forced the school to hold a public meeting to assess the appropriateness of the book. Of course the panel found the book to be perfectly appropriate for Orange County Elementary classes, and the most of the school's administration stood behind Mr. Curry, but the higher ups refused to firmly support them, essentially throwing the Mr. Curry and the administrator under the bus. It's really sad that something so petty caused the loss of a good educator, especially in a state with such sub-par treatment of teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies