Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 PM

1,136 posts, read 926,270 times

Advertisements

As a gay black man living in the south, I was deeply disheartened that a majority of African Americans still do not support same sex marriage. I personally see this as a by product with the obsession masculinity and thug culture perpetuated by the prison system. Hard Headed boys go in, thugs come out. Though plenty of thugs like other guys on the low.

In the end it doesn't matter, soon the supreme court will legal same sex marriage and we can all move on.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/06/...emain-opposed/

Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,838,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
As a gay black man living in the south, I was deeply disheartened that a majority of African Americans still do not support same sex marriage. I personally see this as a by product with the obsession masculinity and thug culture perpetuated by the prison system. Hard Headed boys go in, thugs come out. Though plenty of thugs like other guys on the low.

In the end it doesn't matter, soon the supreme court will legal same sex marriage and we can all move on.

Support for Same-Sex Marriage at Record High, but Key Segments Remain Opposed | Pew Research Center
The lack of support among African-Americans is indeed lamentable. The good news is that it does continue to tick steadily upward.

Digging into the guts of this study reveals many other details below the surface.

*Support for legal recognition of same-sex marriages also skews towards Democrats, though independents are solidly on board as well.
*Younger generations largely support same-sex marriage (ex: Millenials are in favor, 73% to 24% - with even 59% of Republican Millenials in favor).
*Support tracks with higher levels of education.
*The more gays a person knows, the more likely that person is to support same-sex marriage.
*Democrats are much happier than Republicans with the way their party represents their views on the issue - this suggests that the Republican Party has managed to have the worst of both worlds, by alienating same-sex marriage supporters with their rhetoric yet angering opponents by their failure to actually stop it.
*As many Republicans as Democrats say that nationwide recognition of same-sex marriage is inevitable.

It is very likely that by June 29th (the last day the United States Supreme Court currently has scheduled for the release of this term's decisions) the matter will be settled legally, save for a lot of gnashing of teeth and some empty posturing.

Supportive attitudes towards gays in general will continue to climb and will result in an increasing, and eventually nationwide, array of laws protecting all people from discrimination in general based on their sexual orientation.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:55 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,917,467 times
Quote:

Support for Same-Sex Marriage at Record High, but Key Segments Remain Opposed | Pew Research Center
Doubt it some black male inmates have sex with other males in prison especially if they have a long sentence it's not that uncommon from what I have been told I have worked in that environment. In prison I would say the Hispanics are the most opposed.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
There are some smaller studies that show a higher number, but not a significantly higher number. Perhaps nine points, as I recall.

I think part of this could be that many are church-going people. Even people who fall away from their specific church often hold fast to the tenets taught them when they were young.

Hang in there - it won't always be like this. People won't come around because of any law, but the law will bring things out into the open more and putting faces these marriages will change views.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Doubt it some black male inmates have sex with other males in prison especially if they have a long sentence it's not that uncommon from what I have been told I have worked in that environment. In prison I would say the Hispanics are the most opposed.
Did you read my comment that plenty of thugs like other guys. I live in the south and the gay black community here is very closeted here. Atlanta is the huge exception. There are many gay black men who actually do not support gay marriage and view it as sinful. Having sex with another man doesn't make you a supporter of gay rights.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,838,587 times
Here's another little interesting tidbit from Pew - same-sex marriage opponents used to believe that it was entirely appropriate for the federal government to decide the issue. But now that they're in the minority nationally, but still have majority support in some states, suddenly they overwhelmingly believe it's a state matter.

Gay marriage opponents are suddenly all about states’ rights. Wonder why. - The Washington Post

Nice principles there...

Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,917,467 times
Quote:
Did you read my comment that plenty of thugs like other guys. I live in the south and the gay black community here is very closeted here. Atlanta is the huge exception. There are many gay black men who actually do not support gay marriage and view it as sinful. Having sex with another man doesn't make you a supporter of gay rights.
Yeah somehow I missed that part. Lol must have been half asleep. I do understand the difference.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:53 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,172,142 times
Isn't it funny how those who are clamoring for the government to recognize same-sex marriage turn a blind eye to the fact that the very same government has denied same-sex marriage for over 2 centuries.

This is why some of believe the government should not be granting or denying marriage licenses to anybody.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Isn't it funny how those who are clamoring for the government to recognize same-sex marriage turn a blind eye to the fact that the very same government has denied same-sex marriage for over 2 centuries.

This is why some of believe the government should not be granting or denying marriage licenses to anybody.
Except opponents of gay marriage are very much in favor of the government granting or denying marriage licenses.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,172,142 times
Quote:
Except opponents of gay marriage are very much in favor of the government granting or denying marriage licenses.
Irrelevant, but since you brought the opponents up:

opponents aren't the ones displaying their hypocrisy by willfully giving the govt a free pass on its 200+ years of discrimination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies