Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You have no interest in having a real discussion about gun control. So again, why bother.
Translation: I (urbanlife78) have no logical argument as to why law abiding citizens should be punished for the actions of criminals, so I am going to do everything in my power to make it look like the fault lies in the other party by making excuses for my unwillingness to answer.

This thread was started about the defensive use of firearms. You are one of the posters who helped turn it into a gun control thread. If you didn't want to discuss these things, you shouldn't have gotten involved in the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Translation: I (urbanlife78) have no logical argument as to why law abiding citizens should be punished for the actions of criminals, so I am going to do everything in my power to make it look like the fault lies in the other party by making excuses for my unwillingness to answer.

This thread was started about the defensive use of firearms. You are one of the posters who helped turn it into a gun control thread. If you didn't want to discuss these things, you shouldn't have gotten involved in the conversation.
You can think that if you want. I have better things to do today than waste time debating gun control with you knowing you won't even bother to listen to what I say.

Let me know when you actually want to get guns out of the hands of criminals and soon to be mass murderers.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
You can think that if you want. I have better things to do today than waste time debating gun control with you knowing you won't even bother to listen to what I say.

Let me know when you actually want to get guns out of the hands of criminals and soon to be mass murderers.
I'm ready to do that now. I've already asked what your plan was to do so without infringing on the rights of the law abiding. I've even given a suggestion for reducing violent crime. Why won't you share your plan?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:24 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Believe whatever you like. If you want to find something, do it yourself. I'm not your slave!
I found it...... just what I thought... your assertion is not true. The ammo manufacturers deny that the federal government is the biggest customer of ammo manufacturers. It was just a rumor.

"Federal Premium Ammunition, an American ammo manufacturer founded in 1992 that now has 1,400 employees in Anoka, Minn., published a statement saying the rumor that the DHS is “buying excessive quantities of ammunition thereby restricting availability to the commercial market” is a “false and baseless claim.” They say, “The Department of Homeland Security contract makes up a very small percentage of our total ammunition output. This contract is not taking ammunition away from civilians. The current increase in demand is attributed to the civilian market. Our production volumes on government contracts have been stable since the mid-2000s.”

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 06-29-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
You have no interest in having a real discussion about gun control. So again, why bother.
Quote:

in other words your mind is set on what you think would be best for the rest of the nation, but you refuse to espouse your beliefs because you know them to be wrong and unconstitutional. it seems to me that YOU are the one that refuses to debate, because you know that you will get trounced.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
You are right. There is no reason to discuss gun control. If you are serious about bringing down our gun violence statistics, (if that is indeed your goal), then we should attack the problem from where the bulk of the stats come from..... that would be inner city drug wars. Up to 70 percent of these violent criminals are repeat offenders. If we can keep these repeat offenders off the streets, out gun stats will drop tremendously. We need to keep these 1st time gun violent convicts incarcerated for 10 years minimum. Our revolving door justice system is to blame. Letting criminals plea down in order to expedite the conviction is doing a disservice to our country.

Property offenders were the most likely to be rearrested, with 82.1 percent of released property offenders arrested for a new crime compared with 76.9 percent of drug offenders, 73.6 percent of public order offenders and 71.3 percent of violent offenders.

Recidivism | National Institute of Justice

Old 06-29-2015, 09:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Because guns are the answer to their problems.
In some situations a gun is the answer to a problem.

Three weeks ago, when a woman stopped to purchase gas and a knife wielding man jumped into her vehicle, it was most definitely the answer to the problem.

Woman shoots man trying to rob her at gas station - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
I highly do in t they would have had enough bullets to fend off a mob of bigots.
Maybe or maybe not. We don't know.

Two questions for you:

1. If a lynch mob were coming after you, would you want a gun?

2. If you were part of a lynch mob and a gun was aimed at you, would you feel lynching a black man was worth your life? I think most lynch mob participants were only "brave" because they were going after a person without any power at all. Why do you think high school bullies traditionally target the weak nerd and not the football team's fullback? People with the bully mentality go after the easy prey. People with guns aren't usually the easy prey.

BTW, why are you against a 5 foot tall 100 pound being able to have a gun to protect herself against a 6' 4" 230 pound man?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:21 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Same goes for not being armed, everything in life is a chance, having a gun in your hand at all times doesn't change those chances. All it is doing is giving yourself a false sense of security regardless of if you are willing to admit that or not, even though that is what you are saying in this post.
Being proficient in the use of a hand gun increases your chances dramatically.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:24 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Of course I didn't, you don't want to actually know what my answer is, you just want to argue that you should be free to buy whatever toys you like without question. No need for silly background checks or tracing guns to their original owner when used in a crime. God forbid we actually do anything in this country to fix a problem, much better to keep the right wingers happy.
Your solution will not get guns out of the hands of criminals, only law abiding citizens, then we will all be defenseless. .

Old 06-29-2015, 05:00 PM

46,287 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Yep....rep sent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies