Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
True, but it only takes one intolerant gay and the government to destroy a business.
Christian persecution complex. The business owners break the law and it's everyone else's fault.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Where was the outrage when Muslim cab drivers were told to pick up all fares or lose their licenses?
What about their freedom of religion to not pick up passengers with dogs (including service animals) and people carrying alcohol?
Did someone impose a gag order on the Muslims? Were the Muslims fined for it?
The left wing war on free speech is in this country is quite disturbing all aided by a bureaucracy.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:57 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Ore. Silences Bakers Who Refused to Make Cake for Lesbians

Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian finalized a preliminary ruling today ordering Aaron and Melissa Klein, the bakers who refused to make a cake for a same-sex wedding, to pay $135,000 in emotional damages to the couple they denied service.

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage,” Avakian wrote. “It is about a business’s refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.”

In the ruling, Avakian placed an effective gag order on the Kleins, ordering them to “cease and desist” from speaking publicly about not wanting to bake cakes for same-sex weddings based on their Christian beliefs.

“This effectively strips us of all our first amendment rights,” the Kleins, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, which has since closed, wrote on their Facebook page. “According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech.”
I remember that I disagreed with the business owner when the story first came out.

If I open a restaurant for veterans, but I only choose to do business with the Marines, I really cannot stop Army soldiers calling me bigot, I deserve it I guess.

You can go to social media network bashing the business owner, free market will determine their fate. Why sue them when you can take your business elsewhere? This is a sue happy culture and human interaction shouldn't be based on Hate. These business owners have already been punished, why destroy their business and sue for emotional damage?

A couple of recent court cases illustrate the fine line between discrimination and a justifiable refusal of service. In each case, a Colorado baker was sued for violating discrimination laws.

In one case, the baker refused service to a customer who wanted her to bake a cake with anti-gay Bible verses on it. The customer argued that he was discriminated against because of his religious beliefs. But the court ruled that this was not discrimination because the baker had a consistent policy of refusing to create cakes that used derogatory language or imagery.

In the second case, a baker refused to create a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, saying that it violated his religious beliefs. The court held the baker liable, saying that his reason was just a pretext for discriminating against gays.

both bakers refused businesses, they got different results.

Personally, I won't care if a Muslim refused doing business with me because I am a Christian. I would be pissed, but I will take my business elsewhere. I don't think anybody's businesses deserve to be destroyed this way.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Or just don't own a business in a state that the gays and government want to destroy.
Exactly, please do not move to Oregon.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:11 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Exactly, please do not move to Oregon.
Likewise, you don't leave Oregon either.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:12 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a good question, funny thing is you cannot pick your race, sex, or sexual orientation, but you can pick your religion.
But remember some forms of discrimination is legal like The YWCA is a woman only service provider, the boy scouts are all male. There is more funding for minorities in need for everything then just people in need. Moms get paid maternal leave from an employer but fathers don't. Studies show that woman get lesser sentences for same crimes or men get paid more for same jobs, weman are awarded custody of children 80% of the time in divorce cases These are kinda some accepted forms of discrimination in our country. But why is someone refusing to sell a cake to a couple who appear to be gay a bigger issue?

Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But remember some forms of discrimination is legal like The YWCA is a woman only service provider, the boy scouts are all male. There is more funding for minorities in need for everything then just people in need. Moms get paid maternal leave from an employer but fathers don't. Studies show that woman get lesser sentences for same crimes or men get paid more for same jobs, weman are awarded custody of children 80% of the time in divorce cases These are kinda some accepted forms of discrimination in our country. But why is someone refusing to sell a cake to a couple who appear to be gay a bigger issue?
Great point. This everybody gets equal protection under the law is not even true among the protected classes. There's no reason to not make exceptions for wedding service providers, when there are so many other exceptions made for other classes of people.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
You know what? I fully support gay marriage, and am happy for the recent scotus ruling. I'm also atheist and find religion in general to be detrimental. But this case is just beyond ridiculous. The gag order is overkill. If there is one thing I despise nearly more than any other wrong, it's censorship, whatever the cause.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:09 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Want to own a business? Follow the laws regulating businesses. Fail to do so and there are negative consequences.
And you highlight the dangers of the leftest authoritarian mentality, and why it is a cancer upon the body of liberty.

No law, and no ideologue judge can overrule the constitution, yet that is what this judge is doing. And those who applaud such behavior really are clueless, because they are unwittingly cheering the destruction of their own constitutional protections against tyrannical authoritarianism.

It really is baffling how liberals fail to see how destructive they really are.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Want to own a business? Follow the laws regulating businesses. Fail to do so and there are negative consequences.
What law prevents somebody from expressing their opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies