Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:45 PM

563 posts, read 525,001 times

Advertisements

Republican Politicians that want to recall Supreme Court Justices in lieu of rulings on Same Sex Marriage and Health Care Reform. Some republicans, some of whom are running for president, have criticized the high court for these recent rulings. Some have strongly suggested a recall of some the justices. Is this responsible government? Change the rules because they are not winning the game?

It may seem to some, this sort of behavior is beyond childish. "I can't win by the rules! I need to change them!" Those who seek to bend the way that government works in the US by attempting to change the outcome of The Supreme Court, I would like to suggest perhaps a different career, perhaps that of a dictator in some small banana republic. (No, not the store).

What is your take?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
I've not seen this. Could you provide who it is that is calling for this?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:49 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
Republican Politicians that want to recall Supreme Court Justices in lieu of rulings on Same Sex Marriage and Health Care Reform. Some republicans, some of whom are running for president, have criticized the high court for these recent rulings. Some have strongly suggested a recall of some the justices. Is this responsible government? Change the rules because they are not winning the game?

It may seem to some, this sort of behavior is beyond childish. "I can't win by the rules! I need to change them!" Those who seek to bend the way that government works in the US by attempting to change the out- come of The Supreme Court, I would like to suggest perhaps a different career, perhaps that of a dictator in some small banana republic. (No, not the store).
It's just silly posturing because the ruling didn't go their way. When the court upheld Citizens United and also struck down election/voter rights issues, no one the winning side (Conservatives) said "Hey let's get rid of the Supreme Court"

This is just pandering by election candidates trying to drum up money.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,393,341 times
Who suggested a recall and why did you start a thread not mentioning any names?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:53 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've not seen this. Could you provide who it is that is calling for this?
Chris Christie Criticizes Supreme Court Ruling On Gay Marriage
Texas Senator Ted Cruz repeated his call that the constitution should be amended so voters could recall Supreme Court justices.

Disturbed Man Tries to Get Into White House

Old 07-05-2015, 03:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post

It may seem to some, this sort of behavior is beyond childish. "I can't win by the rules! I need to change them!" Those who seek to bend the way that government works in the US by attempting to change the outcome of The Supreme Court, I would like to suggest perhaps a different career, perhaps that of a dictator in some small banana republic. (No, not the store).

What is your take?
You really would have hated FDR.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:55 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,454,597 times
SILLY, sounds like the kid who says "I'm taking my ball home and now you can't play!" When things don't go like you want....... pout.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 PM

57,361 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Heard the same complaints about the Earl Warren court and the expansion of civil rights.

Ted Cruz wants them recalled for elections.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rt-george-will

Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,888,260 times
I don't think things have gotten this bad yet but let's be real, Kennedy is the only justice who consistently votes what he believes to be the law over what he believes to be politically expedient (Roberts) or his/her political ideology (every else). When you can consistently guess how a judge will vote on important cases not by their legal philosophy but based on their extra-legal politics, they're just another form of unelected politician, not impartial arbiters of the law.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
SILLY, sounds like the kid who says "I'm taking my ball home and now you can't play!" When things don't go like you want....... pout.
It worked for FDR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies