Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:59 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I respectfully disagree. Hispanic culture was well established in the Southwest before the westward expansion movement. It's not a minority culture in that part of the country. Furthermore, what many Americans actually don't understand is that culture does not necessarily respect arbitrary geo-political boundaries. Many modern Americans are under the mistaken impression that European settlement of North America proceeded from East to West, but Spain's New World Empire was established long before the English settled Jamestown.
Disagree all you want but it doesn't change the facts. We are not known as a Hispanic country just because of the Spanish influence in the southwest. Past settlement doesn't matter either. We are a majority white country based on British influence in culture and we adopted English as our national de facto language. Sorry if that bothers you. I'm not bothered that Mexico and much of South and Central America are Hispanic nations and Spanish is their language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then why is it that everywhere I go most Hispanics are speaking in Spanish exclusively? Is that assimilation? Are they all first generation? Come on you know better than that.
Legal and illegal immigration.

Heavy Spanish speaking wasn't nearly as common 100 years ago as it is today.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
It wasn't "seized" it was bought and paid for.
Correction noted. I misspoke.

Quote:
Disagree all you want but it doesn't change the facts. We are not known as a Hispanic country just because of the Spanish influence in the southwest. Past settlement doesn't matter either. We are a majority white country based on British influence in culture and we adopted English as our national de facto language. Sorry if that bothers you. I'm not bothered that Mexico and much of South and Central America are Hispanic nations and Spanish is their language.
I wasn't arguing that we are a Hispanic country. I was arguing that within the boundaries of the United States exist many stateless nations, one of which is Hispanic and centered in the Southwest where it wields significant social and political influence.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-06-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 06:13 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
You're totally wrong. I have no problem with legal immigrants in diversified and reasonable numbers. I am not angry with you and certainly not because you are an immigrant but you constantly keep referring to our country as the land of immigrants and I resent that. It might have been so long ago but not today. We are a nation of American citizens that still allows in immigrants. As I said our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population That does not make us a land of immigrants per se. When do we get to shed that stupid label and just be ourselves.... a land of Americans?

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have said nor implied any of the things that you are claiming about me in your post. I couldn't care less if an immigrants speaks English with an accent either. Where did I say that anyone born here was not a citizen of this country or was second class? Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? If you continue down this line of making stuff up about me and not being civil you will be put on my ignore list. The choice is yours.
You are the one who began the incivility, sir, when you TOLD me, in a PUBLIC forum, that the discussion was over. I was to shut up. Because you don't like the use of a particular expression. In a PUBLIC forum.

Go ahead. Put me on your ignore list. You obviously can't handle differing opinions, anyway, so that would be a wise decision on your part. All the best to you!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:06 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Correction noted. I misspoke.
I wasn't arguing that we are a Hispanic country. I was arguing that within the boundaries of the United States exist many stateless nations, one of which is Hispanic and centered in the Southwest where it wields significant social and political influence.
Yes culturally, the United States is broken into 11 main nations, though it can certainly be broken down even further.

I used to live in the Southwest and I was shocked when I first moved there and found that Hispanic culture was the dominant culture. It's like another country compared to other parts of America.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes culturally, the United States is broken into 11 main nations, though it can certainly be broken down even further.
Garreau proposed that there were only nine, but I think Woodard presents a better case.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You are the one who began the incivility, sir, when you TOLD me, in a PUBLIC forum, that the discussion was over. I was to shut up. Because you don't like the use of a particular expression. In a PUBLIC forum.

Go ahead. Put me on your ignore list. You obviously can't handle differing opinions, anyway, so that would be a wise decision on your part. All the best to you!
What I meant by "end of discussion" is that I didn't want to keep bantering back and forth with you over and over about the same thing. There was nothing uncivil about it. Yet you kept coming back at me anyway. I have no problem with differing opinions but what we were discussing wasn't an opinion but a fact that we are a nation of Americans today not immigrants of which you kept saying we are. Yes, better to ignore your posts. Buh, bye.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Us German-Americans are too busy working and being the best Americans we can be to worry about the German part.

And doing stuff like perfecting space travel and brain surgery. Stuff like that.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:02 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
You're totally wrong. I have no problem with legal immigrants in diversified and reasonable numbers. I am not angry with you and certainly not because you are an immigrant but you constantly keep referring to our country as the land of immigrants and I resent that. It might have been so long ago but not today. We are a nation of American citizens that still allows in immigrants. As I said our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population That does not make us a land of immigrants per se. When do we get to shed that stupid label and just be ourselves.... a land of Americans?

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have said nor implied any of the things that you are claiming about me in your post. I couldn't care less if an immigrants speaks English with an accent either. Where did I say that anyone born here was not a citizen of this country or was second class? Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? If you continue down this line of making stuff up about me and not being civil you will be put on my ignore list. The choice is yours.
We are NOT simply a "nation of American citizens that still allows immigrants". We are the TOP immigrant (legal and illegal) destination on the PLANET. We have 45.8 MILLION immigrants (most of them LEGAL) and those folks make up over 14% of the population. Our immigrant population is more than FOUR TIMES the immigrant population of the #2 country on the "Top Immigration" list.
The fact is, the U.S. has been the top immigrant destination for many, many decades now - and still IS. It's not even CLOSE.

The fact that you RESENT that is more than obvious, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the truth. So, despite what you may want, Lady Liberty still "raises her lamp by the golden shore" and welcomes millions into her fold. Personally, I'm proud of that.

Countries With The Most Immigrants - 24/7 Wall St.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-09-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 07:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Because we (as in American society) have erased white ethnicity to create a "whites" on top caste system. As long as you can identify as white, you get to be at the top. So all "white" immigrants worked quickly to shed that ethnic identity. See: Polish, Irish and Italians. All groups that faced discrimination until that got absorbed into the white box.

The Iranians, Armenians, Afghans and North Africans tried this too, and they are officially "white" according to the Census, but haven't been absorbed enough to be no longer ethnic.

Here is a good reason to bring back white ethnic identities:
The Ethnicity of White Americans: Hidden or All-Pervading? - Sociology Lens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies